Last chance advice before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Last chance advice before purchase

please--your telling me that the RIDER isn't the greatest factor in crashes? find me a single crash report that states the reason for the crash is "too many CC's in the bike" or "he was riding an RR rather than f4i--so thats why he crashed"....eat me

Old 11-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check it dude...while rider error does contribute to most of the accidents, there are in case **** situations...such as...
accidentally giving it too much gas in a turn, letting the clutch out too early and other street dangers, that having a sportbike vs. something less and/or smaller, would put you in the hospital more so than otherwise...

so cc does make a difference, the type of bike does make a difference and regardless of how mature you are, you can't control everything...so to minimize the chance of getting bitten by these uncontrollable situations, you minimize things you can control, like the size of the bike and the cc's...

i know plenty people who are so called "mature" riders, with liter bikes, only to have little things like gravel in the road, etc...with less experience, highsiding them or other ways of tossing them on their ****...

a rider with experience and a bigger bike will handle these situations much much better than a mature noob in the same situation...

but in the end, someone is going to get whatever bike he/she wants...so just let them...
it'll take longer from them to progress and what not, but that's just the way it is.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM

I started in the dirt years ago and have had no issues at all witht the 600rr. I don't get all the fuss people make about the transition. I agree about not starting on one if you cannot ride, but if you can ride well in the dirt, you should have no issues after learning the bike. BTW- I hated riding my friends SV650. I would be more reluctant to start on it than my bike! I don't ride crazy though (98% of the time). Just get some good books, take the MSF, and be smart. BTW- it's your $$ as others have said.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

check it dude...while rider error does contribute to most of the accidents, there are in case **** situations...such as...
accidentally giving it too much gas in a turn, letting the clutch out too early and other street dangers, that having a sportbike vs. something less and/or smaller, would put you in the hospital more so than otherwise...

so cc does make a difference, the type of bike does make a difference and regardless of how mature you are, you can't control everything...so to minimize the chance of getting bitten by these uncontrollable situations, you minimize things you can control, like the size of the bike and the cc's...

i know plenty people who are so called "mature" riders, with liter bikes, only to have little things like gravel in the road, etc...with less experience, highsiding them or other ways of tossing them on their ****...

a rider with experience and a bigger bike will handle these situations much much better than a mature noob in the same situation...

but in the end, someone is going to get whatever bike he/she wants...so just let them...
it'll take longer from them to progress and what not, but that's just the way it is.
THANK YOU Tahoe..........

Old 11-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I primarily agree with Tahoe. Dirt is not street. Street is not dirt. Does it help if you started riding in the dirt? Maybe. There's no proof that it does or doesn't. --But-- it's also like saying that I grew up Rally Racing on dirt/snow/gravel and now I want to immediately jump into a Formula One car. They are two COMPLETELY different driving styles, same goes for street and dirt riding. Yeah the basic mechanics, physics, etc. are there, but the way you enter/exit a corner, lean, throttle, brake, shift, etc. in some instances is different.

So to sum up, if you feel you DESERVE to ride the 600rr, 1000rr (or ANY motorcycle for sake of argument), then get what you want. Only YOU know your limits and abilities. Don't ride outside of them. I would hate to have to point and say "I told you so."

Old 11-04-2006, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Does it help if you started riding in the dirt? Maybe.
No, not maybe......DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!

There's no proof that it does or doesn't.
What kind of proof are you looking for?????? Everyone I know who has ridden dirt seriously will say that it has been immensely helpful. Look at Rossi and Hayden. Its so obvious that they're riding is influenced by dirt. Have you actually ridden dirt????

Old 11-04-2006, 11:14 AM

look molsen ... its u who control the bike .. its not the bike that controls u !!!! when i went to get my first bike ever and that was 2 months ago .. i have no experience in riding what so ever,, havnt rid a bike b4 in my life ..i swear no joke when i was at the dealer and he asked me check the clutch if it feels good i checked the brake ...the dealer asked if i even know how to drive .. i told him no.. he asked how im suppose to take the bike home...well thats not the point .. my point is i heard the same thing dont buy sport bike its so fast it will kill .. all that kind of thing .. with all my respect to every one here and i know that i dont even have 2 cent worth of knowledge about bike .. but its the person who control the bike .. dont go fsat with it that u might kill urself and u will enjoy riding ...well .. someone will say its made to go fast with thats why u r in the RR class . no i liked the bike cuz the way it looked ..
look that day at the dealer i was suppose to buy 600 RR i didnt find black .. the only black was R6 and i hate yamaha .. so i got 1000RR 2006 black to tell u the truthy the dealer told me i like u man and i dont want to see u dead in a couple days .. dont buy that bike . i told him no. i will take ,.. i know my self.. the dropped off the bike at my house . 2 hour later i was driving the bike on the street .. no fear what so ever ...
trust me its u who control the bike ..

(for ppl who gonna attack me .. im not carless or dangerous... i just love the bike.)

Old 11-04-2006, 04:33 PM
dmx

ORIGINAL: oreo

My first bike is my 600 RR,

Granted, I had riden for more than 3 years on friends bikes (sport and dirt) and I am a professional dancer so in terms of body control I am above the norm. But if you have riden bikes before, taken the MSF course, and have an inteligent head on top of your shoulders you should be fine. It is stupidity that kills most riders, not lack of skill.

professional dancer?
i kinda doubt that being able to moonwalk has anything to do with the body control involved in riding a motorcycle

Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 PM
dmx

ORIGINAL: simo1000rr

look molsen ... its u who control the bike .. its not the bike that controls u !!!! when i went to get my first bike ever and that was 2 months ago .. i have no experience in riding what so ever,, havnt rid a bike b4 in my life ..i swear no joke when i was at the dealer and he asked me check the clutch if it feels good i checked the brake ...the dealer asked if i even know how to drive .. i told him no.. he asked how im suppose to take the bike home...well thats not the point .. my point is i heard the same thing dont buy sport bike its so fast it will kill .. all that kind of thing .. with all my respect to every one here and i know that i dont even have 2 cent worth of knowledge about bike .. but its the person who control the bike .. dont go fsat with it that u might kill urself and u will enjoy riding ...well .. someone will say its made to go fast with thats why u r in the RR class . no i liked the bike cuz the way it looked ..
look that day at the dealer i was suppose to buy 600 RR i didnt find black .. the only black was R6 and i hate yamaha .. so i got 1000RR 2006 black to tell u the truthy the dealer told me i like u man and i dont want to see u dead in a couple days .. dont buy that bike . i told him no. i will take ,.. i know my self.. the dropped off the bike at my house . 2 hour later i was driving the bike on the street .. no fear what so ever ...
trust me its u who control the bike ..

(for ppl who gonna attack me .. im not carless or dangerous... i just love the bike.)
not gonna attack you dude, but you've pointed out something that i'd like to address. i agree with you, its up to the rider to control the bike - my first bike was an aprilia rs250, with a powerband that made it both a joy and a terror to ride at the same time, since then ive owned 3 cbr600s, including my current 600rr, and people told me to start out with a softer bike first.

While its true that the bike will only go as fast as you tell it to, its also true that a total beginer will have no idea quite how the bike will behave on the road once you start pushing a bit. This goes double for litre bikes like yours!

The power delivery of modern day sportsbikes can be nothing short of gut wrenching.Get on the throttle too early exiting a corner and its easy for a noob to high side, pull out to overtake a slower vehicle and all a sudden that corner you thought you had plenty of time to get back in lane and get prepared for is upon you, and its panic stations.

I'd have no problem telling a newcomer i knew had a good head on their shoulders that its perfectly feasible to have a 600 for your first bike (though id recommend a cbr600f NOT an rr), but i think it would be downright irresponsible to recomend jumping straight on to a litre bike. Criminal in fact.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: dmx

ORIGINAL: simo1000rr

I'd have no problem telling a newcomer i knew had a good head on their shoulders that its perfectly feasible to have a 600 for your first bike (though id recommend a cbr600f NOT an rr), but i think it would be downright irresponsible to recomend jumping straight on to a litre bike. Criminal in fact.

Not trying to start a fight or anything....

When you say cbrf are you speaking of f4i? I am assuming yes, in that case the f4i is a quicker bike why would you recommend an f4i over the rr? Other than the sheer comfortablility of the bike and the less upright/ hunched over stance there isn't that big of a difference in the bikes. The 1/4 mile of the f4i is faster than that of the rr.

The simple fact of these bikes is that with 70 horsepower these bikes are prone to come up! Just because you get a bike that has 100 hp vs. a 150 hp bike still means that they both will pop up when you yank the throttle. In my year of riding the bike never came up except for when I yanked on the throttle. As you learn you learn to push yourself when you need to. In my crew of about 10 riders they all had their bikes longer than I had mine and they were curves ahead of me but I didn't try to stay up with them, rather I tried to keep myself in my lane at a comfortable speed that I didn't feel nervous at. Now if I was half retarded and decided I wanted to keep up with them I would have been a lump on the side of a tree on one of the curves. But I wasn't because I rode within my limits trying to make myself better and ride within my limits. Ride within your limits and the bike will keep you in those limits! One big thing is that just like when you are in your car you need to siphon through the things that could happen in any given situation.

Quick Reply: Last chance advice before purchase