just a warning on checking tire psi

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a warning on checking tire psi

well yesterday after my oil change I checked my rear tire psi with a small tire psi guage from autozone (nothing against the store....) and then I went to the front tire and when I checked the tire psi BAM!! the thing blew apart in my hand. the only thing I could find was the part you put on your tire valve (the chrome part) and the spring laying on the floor.

well I went to the wifes van and got her tire guage and finshed checking and adjusting the tire psi. took a few more looks around for the rest of the guage and decided enough looking and would look after my ride.

so I was moving my bike backwards and noticed when I hit the brakes a hiss and nothing (front brakes that is) and I thought it was odd and pumped them up and they were fine. so I took another look thinking it had to be related to the tire guage exploding still nothing found and proceeded to walk the bike some more and found the white psi indexed pole laying on the ground now. still wondering where the main case was I fired the bike up and aimed it at the edge of the garage so I could take off once I got my gear on.

well as I am ready and I hit the front brake there is nothing again WTF so I shut it off take my gear off and I do another full out check of the caliper and rotor guess what.... the main tire guage case is stuck to my rotor with the magnet it came with which was some how pushing the pad back into my rotor with out any type of scraping noise....

I was pissed because this could have cause a bad crash and all because this POS guage blew apart.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10396/1D397ACFD0C64B7B8B7EF710A106D441.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just a warning on checking tire psi

well, Im glad you took the time to figure it out before riding......

Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: just a warning on checking tire psi

Would have sucked if it would have caused an accident.........but you could have sued big time, lol.

Anyway, I've used those before, but I always find them inaccurate. (and they're pretty much one time use, then break.) Bought myself a really nice one at NAPA for $9 bucks, and it's always 100% bang-on and it's never broke once. (had it for a couple years now too).

I've also heard good things about those digital ones too......which I'm thinking about getting as well.