just changed my oil..helpp!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just changed my oil..helpp!

i just got finished changing my oil for the first time on my new to me 04 cbr 600rr. i did it exactly how it says in the manual. after i added my 2.9L of oil and started it up and let it idle for 5mins or so...probably longer i shut it off and let it sit for a few more mins (exactly what the manual says). but according to the sight checking window there is no oil it. is this relativly normal or is something wrong?

also, how much noise is you CCT suppose to make, i can definatly hear mine but i dunno if i should worry about it or not.

thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the oil level with the dipstick?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM

dipstick?

Is the bike straight up when youre checking the window or on the kickstand? Naturally while the engine is running oil will not look quite as full until the engine has been turned off for a little.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 AM

this is normal after you add your oil and start up the bike for the first time. the oil is going to run through the engine. add some more oil till its at the correct spot in the gauge window. next time you change your oil follow these steps,
1. drain your oil, change your filter etc etc, you seem to have that part down
2. Fill it up with oil to the correct ammount as shown in the window gauge
3. start your bike and let it run for prob 10-20 seconds, just long enough to let the oil flow through the bike. then shut the bike off and top the oil up to where it should be.
4. Then you can run your bike for the 5 min and see where the oil sits. adjust as needed
5. Be proud you did it yourself instead of paying the crooked dealership to do it for you.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to remember when you put your oil filter on it is empty. So when you start the bike the oil goes through the system and fills up the filter. The filter will not completely drain when you turn the bike off and when it looked full at the start, it will now look empty. Just top her up.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM

I have always just dumped the 4qts in and then spin it to fill the filter and circulate prior to starting. Done this with all my vehicles.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM

its all good now, thanks guys.

how about the other question, how many peoples cct makes some noise? i can hear mine a bit. It doesn't sound like its gonna blow up on me but you can hear it slightly. should i be worried about it and get a manual one? or is it "normal" for it to make some noise?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by andmorse
its all good now, thanks guys.

how about the other question, how many peoples cct makes some noise? i can hear mine a bit. It doesn't sound like its gonna blow up on me but you can hear it slightly. should i be worried about it and get a manual one? or is it "normal" for it to make some noise?
a lil noise will be normal but shouldnt be excessive. I think one thats going out you will def notice around 6k rpm's. Sounds like a bb being bounced around in there.

How many miles does your bike have on it?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bullittrr
dipstick?
I have an F3. Dipstick instead of a window for oil level checks.

Point was for the OP was...

Originally Posted by chuckbear
check the oil level.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 AM

Don't check your oil level with the bike on the kickstand - the glass will be empty EVERY time.

Bike must be held level to check oil. 2.9 liters of oil is within the range - it should show in the glass if checked properly.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil..helpp!