How do you use your fingers?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you use your fingers?

In the lull I sometimes face while riding home from work I begin to think about the dumbest things. Well the other day I was riding home and I was paying attention to the way I use my fingers to engage the clutch and apply the brakes. For braking I use my middle, ring, and pinky to pull the lever while tucking my index under the lever in case I have to roll on the throttle quickly. To engage the clutch I use all 4 fingers to pull the clutch lever. Then I started thinking about the pics I've seen of people using their index and middle finger to engage the clutch. So I started to try it out a bit and found it was a bit uncomfortable yet quicker to shift. So I pondered on different ways to brake and use the clutch until some jerk off decided to cut me off as I rode along in the Death Star Trench (the space between the carpool and fast lane for those not familiar with the term). LOL Death Star Trench, yes I have a lot of time to think while riding to work.

So how do you use your fingers?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Default RE: How do you use your fingers?

I use index and middle finger for the levers on both brake and clutch. If its not time to shift or brake, i use one of the middle fingers to flip the guy off that cuts me off.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 PM

Index and long finger for both brake and clutch...

Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 PM

pay attention to the road instead of finger'in around !

me and a buddy were driving home from Arcadia earlier this evening ... the bloody 210 is horrenduous enough to give the 405 a complex

Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: menefreghista

pay attention to the road instead of finger'in around !

me and a buddy were driving home from Arcadia earlier this evening ... the bloody 210 is horrenduous enough to give the 405 a complex

Haha, I ride from Monrovia to Costa Mesa and back everyday so I know how it can get. But I'm sure the 210 is nothing like the 57 especially when it meets the 60. Talk about lull moments.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 AM

I feel sorry for you guys having to ride on interstates all of the time. I

Old 12-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Retired Administrator

death star trench... love it. I'm stuck on my moto-x days... index and middle fingers.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:25 PM

unless i need more, i use index and middle on the brake. my left hands a retard so i need to use all four unless im movin through the gears quickly and dont need a full clutch pull. i think i might get some of the pazzo shorty levers since i dont use the whole lever anyway. plus they look bad ***

Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my index and middle finger for both the brake and clutch. It might have already been mentinoed but if not you only have to pull your clutch lever about a half in or so, just enough to release pressure from the clutch plates so you never have to use all four fingers. I am trying to gain the disipline to always ride with at least one finger guarding my front brake for those "OH S^&T!" moments. I also have CRG shorty levers and like them a lot.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 AM

I use the middle finger on the brake ( Is over the break at all times) I have the adjustment set at 4 seems pretty easy for me can even pull a stoppy with just that finger with no problems. I use the fore finger (pointer) and the middle on the clutch but I speed shift most of the time (not sure if that is motorcycle language) seems smoother for me not sure if it damages the trany tho. these positions make me feel more in controle of the bike cause I have more fingers on the handles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you use your fingers?