Halo Lights...illegal??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo Lights...illegal??

Hey guys,

I'm from Virginia and just recently installed a pair of red halo lights on my '03 600RR. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever been pulled over for having their halo lights on while riding. Also, if anyone knows if they are generally considered illegal on the street in any state, or VA specifically please let me know!!

Thanks guys

Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Halo Lights...illegal??

Post a pic. What do they look like when you're riding?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 AM

The problem is they're red.
red or blue (and any kind of strobes while I'm at it) are reserved exclusively for law enforcement/emergency vehicles.
any other color and you would be home free, but with the red the popo might hassle you
even though it is ovious that you're not mimicking an emergency vehicle.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 AM

This is what they look like while I'm riding....

[IMG]local://upfiles/10343/F539C193F8C543639E2BFF428C232281.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Holy freaking awesome! That seriously is the sweetest looking thing I have ever seen! What do they look like in the day? Can you post a picture?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: WhiteDealershipRice

The problem is they're red.
red or blue (and any kind of strobes while I'm at it) are reserved exclusively for law enforcement/emergency vehicles.
any other color and you would be home free, but with the red the popo might hassle you
even though it is ovious that you're not mimicking an emergency vehicle.
Well, that depends on the state. In FL, any color other than amber or white in the front, and amber, or red turns, and white in the rear are illegal while going down then road and visable. However, in you case they are red and it doesnt matter if it strobes or not, its red, and I'd bet it wont take you too long to get pulled over for that.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 AM

They look SIK mang!!!! If it was me i'd pimpem til I saw "THE MAN" cut em off police go byby turn em back on !! They look too cool to take off!!!!

By the way how do the halos handle landing wheelies??? are they secured in the light.......

Old 11-30-2006, 01:22 PM

I dont see anything here LAWS but im pretty sure that a red lite will get u in trouble everytime out...looks great but get ready for the hassle

Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM

looks badas$ tho....

Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM

typically, i think red lighting pointed forward is reserved for emergency vehicles. here in CA, even the ricey LED washers on car hoods are considered illegal, but not often enforced. when/if you are pulled over, YMMV in terms of the outcome. it may be a simple fix-it ticket, it may not. you can probably assume that while you are pulled over, the officer will check for other infractions or illegal mods that he can cite you for. the officer will probably consider citing anything like integrated taillight, turn signal out, obstructed license plate, loud exhaust, etc.

if the law enforcement officer (LEO) is in oncoming traffic, the headlight will probably overpower the brightness of the halos until he is at an angle where the light shines past him and not at him. should you decide to keep it installed, that little margin of time might be enough for you to turn it off before he notices. but this would require you to be on high alert for LEOs constantly, instead of being more alert to road hazards or dangers. if the halos dont already come with a seperate switch, you should install one that is easily accessible.

Quick Reply: Halo Lights...illegal??