Guide to buying a 600rr

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide to buying a 600rr

So I'm taking my safety class next week and am looking for a bike already, but I can't seem to decide between gettin a used and a new one.

If I were to get a used one, I don't know what to look for when buying, ie. how many miles are too much? How many mods are too much? What mods would likely cause me troubles? etc...

Is there a general how-to section for buying a used vehicle? If so, can anybody direct me there? I'm a complete noob at this. I don't have any friends that ride whatsoever, so it's kinda tough for me.

Also, what are the differences between the rr models and f4? Honestly, I'm just planning on gettin a 600rr model cause they seem to be the most popular lol.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM
October 2011 ROTM

My suggestion is to buy a used bike. For your first bike there is no reason to go new. Here is a thread on buying a used bike https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...ng-guide-3025/. Look at the bar ends, the end of the levers, the stator and clutch cover for scratches or signs that the bike has been down. As for the mods it just depends on how good of a job the person did on ok installing them. If they knew what they were doing then you have nothing to worry about but on the flip side they could really jack up the bike if they didnt. As for the RR vs F4i, I've had both and both are great bikes. The RR has more of a track setup so your more hunched over and your knees are further up in your chest. If you are okay with that then the RR is a great bike. Good luck with the search and let me know if you have more questions and I'll try to help out.

Last edited by R Dub; 05-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Sweet! Thanks a lot man. I was just thinking about a new bike because I see that the newer models have ABS, which is a big plus since I'll be new to biking, but I don't know how good they are and also, I can't seem to find any 2010 used models, but I'd definitely prefer a used bike.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by magic-supper
So I'm taking my safety class next week and am looking for a bike already, but I can't seem to decide between gettin a used and a new one.

If I were to get a used one, I don't know what to look for when buying, ie. how many miles are too much? How many mods are too much? What mods would likely cause me troubles? etc...

Is there a general how-to section for buying a used vehicle? If so, can anybody direct me there? I'm a complete noob at this. I don't have any friends that ride whatsoever, so it's kinda tough for me.

Also, what are the differences between the rr models and f4? Honestly, I'm just planning on gettin a 600rr model cause they seem to be the most popular lol.
I have owned mine for a couple of months and before I bought it had the same questions as you.

The '07-'11 600RR are very similar with only a revision of the bodywork to cover the engine on the '09's and up as well as the ABS. There are many late model ones that can be found with low miles (mine had 1,004 miles). The savings for a lightly used late model bike vs limited changes led me to buy used.

Miles on a bike that has been well maintained do not appear to be a major factor although for me personally, I was looking for one near new. They are great bikes and I am really enjoying mine.

BTW - the msf course is worthwhile so good to see you are taking it. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Oh I forgot to add as for the miles no amount of miles is too high. Look at Jared, he has over 200K on his F4i. https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...e-mark-117511/. All that matters is how it has been maintained. Ride the bike and listen for knocks and ticks that don't sound normal. The bike might have a injector tick at idle but that is normal, at least my 07 RR does.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by mx-4-2
I have owned mine for a couple of months and before I bought it had the same questions as you.

The '07-'11 600RR are very similar with only a revision of the bodywork to cover the engine on the '09's and up as well as the ABS. There are many late model ones that can be found with low miles (mine had 1,004 miles). The savings for a lightly used late model bike vs limited changes led me to buy used.

Miles on a bike that has been well maintained do not appear to be a major factor although for me personally, I was looking for one near new. They are great bikes and I am really enjoying mine.

BTW - the msf course is worthwhile so good to see you are taking it. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip bro. I'm excited to be gettin one, but it looks like here in Orange County, used cbrs don't seem to circulate that much. I see a lot of cbr1000s but that's definitely out of the question for me. I feel like a 600 hundred might even be too much as a newbie biking, but I don't want to outgrow a 250 soon either. *sigh* Lookin for new bikes is a lot tougher than I thought it'd be.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Oh I forgot to add as for the miles no amount of miles is too high. Look at Jared, he has over 200K on his F4i. https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...e-mark-117511/. All that matters is how it has been maintained. Ride the bike and listen for knocks and ticks that don't sound normal. The bike might have a injector tick at idle but that is normal, at least my 07 RR does.
Omg no kidding? That's crazy. I had no idea bikes can live that long. I'm really excited to be joinin the cbr club pretty soon. I've been wanting one ever since I lived in the city (SF), but was always too scared to get one cause of the traffic, but here in Orange County, there's lots of safe places to ride and just cruise. Still having a hard time finding one though. Not enough motoryclist out there sellin, especially since it's riding season.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM

So is 40k miles too much for a 2004 cbr that's mainly been used for commuting freeway? The bike is 4,000, but he's willing to negotiate.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM

i got mine for 4700 with 8k .........

Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by nakedcivic
i got mine for 4700 with 8k .........
This comment means nothing because we need more context like what year is your bike. Is is a 2010? Then you got one hell of a deal. Is it a 03? Then you probably over paid.

Quick Reply: Guide to buying a 600rr