Got a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new bike...

Well guys, I don't think i've posted much of anything here about the recent happenings with my 2006 cbr 600RR. Ill make it a short and sweet story....

About 3 weeks ago, my bike was stolen from my apartment complex while I was asleep. It was the worst feeling ever. I cannot stand low life scumbags that take someones hard earned possessions. However, I had insurance... so I had something to fall back on. I notified the insurance company and then it was a 30-60 day waiting game to get paid out. That bike was my only form of transportation.

Fast forward a week. I get awoken by a call from a detective saying they found my bike. I was so shocked, honestly didn't know what to feel. He told me the ignition was busted out but it was ridable. So he gives me directions and get there as soon as possible. I am expecting to see my bike, maybe been dropped by them... ignition busted out... you know.. not too bad? Well I was wrong. When I was walking up to it, I honestly thought it wasn't my bike and they made a mistake.

For the last week I had been thinking I was going to get paid in full, and eventually get into a new bike... and now i'm walking up to this... my previous mint bike, now completely trashed. I was devastated to say the least.

Well, I may have had my bike ruined... but they actually caught the dude riding it! It was a 19 year old kid with a previous history of auto theft, had just gotten out of jail recently. They were investigating him and he just so happened to be the one who stole my prized possession. Theres more to the story, but lets just say that him and his friend are going to be locked up for quite a while... multiple felonies...

Fast forward another week. Insurance adjuster finally makes it out to see the bike. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I had the bike back in my possession for almost a week before the insurance adjuster came to look at it. I could have done anything to the bike... I could have damaged it beyond recognition and blamed it all on the thief... but I didn't. I am an honest person.

She does her pictures, calculations, etc. Comes back and tells me that she thinks it can be repaired for about $3000. I was in disbelief but did not argue just asked more questions about it. Well turns out she is trying to salvage fairings and strip paint and some other malarky. It left a sour taste in my mouth.

I immediately take it to the shop. I tell them the whole story and how I think insurance is trying to jerk me around. So I want my own quote and I want this thing back to how it was before it was stolen. Not a half-assed piece together. That's why I pay for insurance.

Skip ahead about 4 more days... they finally get to inspecting my bike. I called that morning to get a status update and was told it was going in now and I would hear from them later.

No more than a couple hours later, I get a call from my adjuster. She tells me she's at the shop and that it's looking like it can't be repaired anymore. "There was additional damage I didn't originally see" -- And in my head all i'm thinking is "Ahh noooo realllllyyyy? Who would of thunk it?" hah. The damages racked up to around $5,000.

So, it was a total loss. I was paid out, and the search began. I have always wanted the 07 pearl white/silver 600rr since it came out. They seem to be in short supply around here because I found only 2, one of which had been down and the other was 8+ hours away. I kept searching day and night, and then it happened. I found it.

1,700 miles. Mint condition. OEM solo cowl.

WINNING?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Sorry to.hear the insurance company shuffled you around like that and more so you were tbe victim of some dumb theif but that a nice looking bike for sure congrats and ride safe.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Did you get the chance to buy your old one back from the insureance company?

Also, nice bike. I like the white/silver scheme.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Very sweet looking bike.

I hate theives. I had three friends that got their bikes stolen while they were in class (college) a few years ago.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Nice bike. Hopefully that'll drown most of the painful memories of losing your 06.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Nice new bike!!

My friend's bike too got stolen, but when they found it like 6 month or year later, the bike had many upgrades. ha ha He was happy to see that.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Sorry to hear about your trouble but I have to say F you dude I'm so jealous. That white color scheme is my favorite of all time . I searched high and low for one but just couldn't find a clean one, and 1,700 miles DAMN! I thought mine was low at 2600. Congrats on the bike man, it's fricken sweet. Keep this one safe and locked up.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:53 AM

How much did they pay you out and how much was the new bike.

If you don't mind sharing.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks dudes! I am so beside myself with happiness. I love this thing.

@champ24 - I did not even ask, because I am a very meticulous person. I wanted nothing to do with that bike after the scumbags raped it.

@yumoncbr - hah! I bet that rarely ever happens... what are the chances?!

@RDub - I so sorry :P I am right there with you, it it my favorite scheme of all time (hence the look of my 06..lol) It was not easy to find! It had just been posted before I found it, and there were no pictures just information. I never care about those ad's but once I read the info... I called the guy that instant and had pictures emailed to me within minutes. It was truly meant to be. Adult owned, never down, garage kept, never seen rain, just minty fresh.

This bike is my absolute prized possession. I am so terrified of leaving it out of my sight now. There will be alarms, locks, gps, covers, anything I can find to help secure it. I plan on getting a garage as well.

Last edited by andyriot; 06-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 AM

How did they come to the 6 grand assessment value?