Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: general pre winterization question

Slugger: Do you have anger problems? lol

Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Slugger: Do you have anger problems? lol
should I respond with "*** off", or "Go to hell"... hmm, decisions decisions...

How much more USEFUL information is there to be had about winterizing a motorcycle? You don't NEED to do JACK SH.IT to make it through even a Wisconsin winter... I think the most USEFUL information about winterizing any internal combustion engine, regardless of what it's mounted into is: DO NOT FUKKING TOUCH THE DAMN THING UNLESS YOU ARE WELL AND FULLY PREPARED TO USE IT AS GOD INTENDED. way, way, WAY too many people over think storage, especially WINTER storage... and to be honest it's really starting to irritate me more and more every single god damn year. Clean the chain, pfft... what, cleaning the chain every 500 miles isn't good enough? Over kill, unnecessary, leave it for when you care next spring. Stabilizing fuel... you got to be fukking kidding me... what is this, 1960? Gasoline has changed about as much as synthetic oil has since the 80's. you don't need to stabilize the damn gas. believe me, it'll be just as clean and just as explosive in the spring as it was in the late to early winter when you stopped riding. Change the oil... fine, change the oil... IF IT NEEDS IT. these retards who drop expensive and perfectly good oil and replace it with some cheap crap they found at Fleet Farm, only to drop THAT oil in the spring and replace it with new $14/qt oil from France need to hung from a gallows with a firing squad below. what the hell is wrong with you people?! That oil was perfectly fine to leave in there over winter! you're worried that the oil is acidic? Unless you get your oil tested for acidic value, you're guessing and are most likely wrong. if it needs replacement because it's close to your OCI, change it and leave it in there until your next OCI. if it isn't then leave it. don't over think it. Wash the bike... yeah... whatever. LIFTING THE TIRES OFF THE GROUND SO THEY DON'T FLAT SPOT. Look, will one of you who have had this exact thing happen where you leave the bike rest on the side stand over winter show me a picture of these so called flat spotted tires? One of you? Any takers? No? Doth you exist at all? My guess? Probably not. It's never happened to anything i've ever owned with wheels to include a host of motorcycles, cars, trucks, and trailers belonging to family friends who haven't the storage space. not a single time. Not once has any of the tires developed flat spots over winter. it's a bullschit story the came from the 60's and never disappeared. Take the battery out. Sure, if you want. in 6 months time it's still gonna need a recharge before it'll start the bike so why bother? battery tender? Never used one. i see absolutely no reason to start either. The OEM battery JUST got replaced on my brother's CBR600F2 2 years ago. purchased new back in 94. He never (nor does) owned a tender or maintained it over winter. lasted over 10 years. Fogging the Cylinders... what you're not satisfied with the quickness that the engine's oil pump delivers oil to the rings when you start it? what nonsense drives these replies? do you guys really even think anymore? does anyone think anymore?!

god gerialgalkjsgjggggajkshdlmnbbboi;uawwwrf.......... ..... just.. uhhh!

no wonder people are always so stressed out. they make life hugely complicated for themselves and everyone around them...

Now that's a lot to read. if you don't like to read, have your computer speak it. it may do a better job at reading it than some of you...

crashkhanman , I hope all that answers your question...

Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Yep that answered my question ... an angry individual.

btw relax I'm only busting your *****. I know you have good info to give.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

im with you slugger. I got a brand new '07 and you would think i'd be all over babying this thing, instead I realize this is a Honda. I probably dont have to do **** and it will still outlast then length of time i'll keep it. Naturally I will do all the recommended maintanence and keep it clean but as for excessive winterizing and oil changes, no chance.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Winterizing? WTH is that?

Two words: Heated gear.

I would personally steer clear of the fuel stabilizers. They tend to react with the fuels that are currently being produced and have been known to cause fairly serious issues after extended storage.

Get the weight of the bike off the tires, fill the tank, drain carbs (if equipped) and a Battery Tender should do just fine.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 AM

+1 on the Battery Tender, they work great.

I attached one on the quick connect pigtails to the battery terminals and tuck the end up under the seat of the bike. That way, I can just pull out the connector and plug it in anytime I want to. It will really extend the life of the battery, not to mention that it will aways be charged up anytime you hit the start button.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Get the weight of the bike off the tires
Why...?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Why...?

I don't think they like to listen to you. More work for them.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Why...?
Flatspots.

I don't care what your opinion is, it happened to two of my carswhile in storageand two different motorcycles during two different years for a total of 12 tires needing replacement.
Don't believe me? How about this, I took out my 535i after extended storage and felt a small "hobble" for the first few miles.....and then the next few miles which eventually turned into tire replacement. What's funny is the hobble was it was very pronounced above 100mph. Balancing did nothing.

Flatspots are real and still exist.

More work for me? That's fine as long as I don't have to spend many 100's of $$$ on newtires every year.

As far as the rest of your rant......have your blood pressure checked every year...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bergs

Why...?
Flatspots.

I don't care what your opinion is, it happened to two of my cars while in storage and two different motorcycles during two different years for a total of 12 tires needing replacement.
Don't believe me? How about this, I took out my 535i after extended storage and felt a small "hobble" for the first few miles.....and then the next few miles which eventually turned into tire replacement. What's funny is the hobble was it was very pronounced above 100mph. Balancing did nothing.

Flatspots are real and still exist.

More work for me? That's fine as long as I don't have to spend many 100's of $$$ on new tires every year.

As far as the rest of your rant......have your blood pressure checked every year...
i do, and it's high every year. you say you took your BMW out of storage and felt a small hobble, then it went away, and then came back... that doesn't sound like a flat spot to me at all... but ok, fine, whatever, i don't really care about your car... what about the bike?

Quick Reply: general pre winterization question