Gear Slip, 2 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Slip, 2 questions...

Ok, Ill try to make this as short as possible while keeping enough info in here.

First I noticed at a low rmp the bike kind of surges if I keep the throttle contant. Very low in first gear, only going about 10-15 mph it will surge sometimes, on and off. Maybe around 2.5-3k.

Also, Ive noticed a few times (enough that I would want to post here) that when downshifting I can get stuck in a gear. Like if I have the clutch in and downshift it can sometimes get stuck in N and I cant go down to 1. But if I let the clutch out and then pull it back in I can shift down to 1 without a problem. This has happened before in a higher gear (lets say third), I'm stopped but cant get down any further. I let the clutch out about halfway and it clicks then I pull it in and can downshift fine. Is this something that anyone has noticed before??

Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Gear Slip, 2 questions...

Not sure about the surging ..but as not being able to downshift all the way from a higher gear yes. Mine has done this from day 1. I forget the exact terminology the dealership used but they said it was normal. Sorry for the lame-in terms but I will askthem againand post back.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 AM

the surging you are talking about is normal these bikes arent meant to go that slow. both my 1000rr and my 600rr do the same thing. it is about the gearing
the only way i have found to make the bike go that slow is to click up to a higher gear with a better ratio
on my 1000rr to do the 20mph speed limit that they press onto us on my way to work i have to be in third and just enough throttle to keep it moving. no surging then

my 600rr is a trackbike so i dont even go that slow in the paddock

Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Alot of the surging has to do with the intake/exhaust valve varying that different model CBR's use. For example, on the '07 600RR, take off in first slowly, hold the throttle just slightly open in a constant position, and you will notice that at a certain RPM the bike will begin to accelerate much more quickly even though you have not given it any more throttle.

As for the shifting, every honda i've owned had trouble shifting through multiple gears while stopped without working the clutch a little bit. Nothing to worry about.

-Adam

Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Sounds good, thanks guys. I have a 20mph speed limit for a while on my daily commute too, so I'll stick it in 3rd. Very helpful.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 AM

^ good stuff.
that pretty normal that this happens with your bike. in traffic or slow moving roads i try to still in 2nd gear.
aslo, about not going in to the 1st gear from 2nd and getting stuck in neutral, that also normal.
one, its probably you are not hitting it hard enough. i recommend giving it a slight rev and then down shifting. that always works.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM

My 2007 does this too, but here's 2 things I noticed/know about the situation. (It's happened since the day I bought it).

1. Surging: Really, I only see this when I first start out with a cold motor, and really, after lots of watching, the surging is mostly due to driver error (my bad). It'll usually start because I take off, get to the speed (say, 15mph) I want to stop at, then let off. The sudden decel rolls my throttle VERY SLIGHTLY forward, which I naturally compensate (for the weight shift) by making a slight increase in throttle, and thus begins the surging. As I rock forward (from the surge) I give it gas, compensate and let off, causing a forward rock and more throttle shutoff, compensate by giving more throttle, rinse and repeat. And don't get me wrong here, I didn't even notice I was really doing it for a long time. It's a VERY MINOR amount of movement. Since you're going so slow in such a low gear, the throttle response and engine drag is kinda heavy thanks to the gearing. The third gear idea will work real well and I hadn't even thought of that, but for me, I usually just slip the clutch slightly (now that I know what's going on) for a second or so, just enough to stop the back and forth surge and to get my throttle under control, then I let it back out with consistant throttle. I can putt around after that at 8-10mph with no surging at all.

2. Getting stuck in gear: I've noticed this one too, and it usually happens (to me) when I come to a stop or slow down with 95% or more of my braking being done with the rear brake (slow speed stuff where I'm just rolling up to a stoplight or something). That may just be coincidence (I don't condone all rear braking as a good idea, figure I'd throw that disclaimer in). However, there are 2 options to "fix" the problem. 1. Do like you do now, slightly let out the throttle and it will catch, then click on down. Or 2. If your stopped, roll the bike forwards or backwards slightly while tapping down on the lever, the gear will fall into place. I can only assume the shifter forks are hung up between the gears, and need to slightly turn more to let it drop into gear. (my mental picture anyways).

Anyways... just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM

My 04 gets stuck when i stop really fast and try to DS from liek 4 to n . i just have to hold in clutch and roll the bike back and forth while DS. its more annoying then harmful i think.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:05 PM

This doesn't really happen when you shift without the clutch, although the ds part takes quite a bit of skill to not kill yourself.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 AM

Hah way off topic but crashkhanman I saw your bike pic posted on the group 'cbr riders' on facebook when I was just looking around. Small world. But anyways, this is some great info that puts me at ease with everything. Its nice to have good people that can help out.

Quick Reply: Gear Slip, 2 questions...