CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Full system sound quality 600rr vs sv650N?? +arrow headers question.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/full-system-sound-quality-600rr-vs-sv650n-arrow-headers-question-152565/)

ridealongchris 08-12-2014 12:29 PM

Full system sound quality 600rr vs sv650N?? +arrow headers question..

Please don't flame me for asking this noob question.. I looked around for at least a good week on the forums and I couldn't find an answer to my question :((

I currently have a two bros slip on. I love exhaust but it is too darn quite ): so I did my research and I read full systems are louder.

Soooo, going back to the title.. the other day, I wanted to hear what a full system sounded like, found a guy who has a 2006 sv650N with a yoshimura FS and oh my, oh my, oh my... That exhaust sounded beautiful..

The volume and sound was completely night and day compared to my two bros. it was MUCH louder, especially the idle. I couldn't hear myself talk right next to the bike...

My question is, would a full system on a 600rr give the same results in volume as it did or the sv650? I know the sv650's are different displacement and engine builds, but would I get something similar along those lines? I would just find a guy with a cbr full system and check out his bike, but literally every rider I know has a SO exhaust.. So if you guys could just give me a simple answer that would be great.

Another quick question is.. I heard that rather than invest on a full system, I could just buy headers. I did my research and read that arrow and Leo Vince headers are universal and would fit with my two bros slip on, but it will make oil changes a hassle. Can anyone confirm this for me please? Thank you so much In advance.

Conrice 08-15-2014 09:11 AM

So, you want to spend all of that money for just a little bit more noise?

Why don't you un-pack or shorten your 2-bros. It will make it much louder.

74demon 08-15-2014 11:21 AM

What year is your 600rr?

ridealongchris 08-16-2014 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1279269)
So, you want to spend all of that money for just a little bit more noise?

Why don't you un-pack or shorten your 2-bros. It will make it much louder.

I actually do want to spend the money for the extra sound. I asked my local shop if they would cut the pipe for me, but they advised me against it since it's an undertail exhaust..

The sound was unbelievable. You really have to hear it to believe it.. I believe what I heard was a 2006 sv650N with a full yoshimura rs5.. Sounds like night and day compared to my two bros... I know the sv is a twin, so obviously the tone in sound is different from the cbr, but I'm just want to replicate the same volume in sound. I have the a 2003 600rr.

Conrice 08-17-2014 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ridealongchris (Post 1279328)
I actually do want to spend the money for the extra sound. I asked my local shop if they would cut the pipe for me, but they advised me against it since it's an undertail exhaust..

Of course they advised against it. They are in the business of making money.

I've heard slip-ons that are louder than full systems. Look for used ones on ebay to save you some money. I take it you have a PC, don't you? You'll need one for the full system.

mika_u 08-17-2014 09:02 AM

My full Akra is much quiter then the High mount Devil 1/2 exhaust i had before with 1/3 taken of the muffler. It basicly is about the muffler and lenght of it. The Akra my bike has at the moment has a full lenght end can. If you are doing it for sound get another muffler. You can't replicate the sound of a twin with a inline 4. Getting hicomp pistons will actually move the tone closer or you could get an crossplane R1 :)

ridealongchris 08-17-2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1279343)
My full Akra is much quiter then the High mount Devil 1/2 exhaust i had before with 1/3 taken of the muffler. It basicly is about the muffler and lenght of it. The Akra my bike has at the moment has a full lenght end can. If you are doing it for sound get another muffler. You can't replicate the sound of a twin with a inline 4. Getting hicomp pistons will actually move the tone closer or you could get an crossplane R1 :)

Ohhhh so is that why those shorty r6 and gixxer cans are so darn loud and awesome? Haha. I always wondered why my cbr isn't as loud as those.. I always thought it was fault on the two bros lol. And yes I do have a PC3.

Can anyone confirm the question I had about the headers?

Conrice 08-18-2014 06:42 AM

I can't confirm it, but there are guys on 600rr.net that say they have universal arrow headers - and it wouldn't surprise me (although I can't find any for sale). A lot of these engines (jap inline 4's anyways) have the same center spacing (80-80-80 IIRC), and pretty similar tube diameters, so their headers should fit heads on different bikes. Then, the only issue is the headers fitting around the motor/oil pan and clearing the road.

We had a guy here put 954 headers on his F2, so like I said, it wouldn't surprise me.

But your 2-bros is still the issue. It's a muffler which is muffling the exhaust noise coming through the pipes. If you use the same end can, you won't see a drastic difference in noise. You need to modify the end can (shortening and unpacking) to get more decibels out of it, or use another one that has less packing and is shorter. LOADS of 600rr guys have cut and shortened their end cans without any negative affect.

Your shop wanted you to buy a full system... so they could sell and install a full system on your bike...

ridealongchris 08-18-2014 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1279379)
I can't confirm it, but there are guys on 600rr.net that say they have universal arrow headers - and it wouldn't surprise me (although I can't find any for sale). A lot of these engines (jap inline 4's anyways) have the same center spacing (80-80-80 IIRC), and pretty similar tube diameters, so their headers should fit heads on different bikes. Then, the only issue is the headers fitting around the motor/oil pan and clearing the road.

We had a guy here put 954 headers on his F2, so like I said, it wouldn't surprise me.

But your 2-bros is still the issue. It's a muffler which is muffling the exhaust noise coming through the pipes. If you use the same end can, you won't see a drastic difference in noise. You need to modify the end can (shortening and unpacking) to get more decibels out of it, or use another one that has less packing and is shorter. LOADS of 600rr guys have cut and shortened their end cans without any negative affect.

Your shop wanted you to buy a full system... so they could sell and install a full system on your bike...

Ohhh okay, gotcha ! Thanks for clearing everything up for me. Looks like I'm going to look into unpacking and cutting my pipe.

Are there any good tutorials laying around on the forums for unpacking? I did a quick search and read that I need to drill out the rivets? I have no clue how to do that.. Also One guy also mentioned that if done incorrectly, it'll change up the whole tone of my exhaust..(?). Is unpacking relatively easy? I don't know much about hands-on when it comes to bikes.. I can barely do a fairing swap properly lmao. Would you advise me to look for someone who knows their stuff, or can I just generally take a stab at it lol. A tutorial with pics would really help.
Thanks so much everyone for all the info. Really helping me understand more about the exhaust. Thank you!

Conrice 08-19-2014 09:11 AM

Tools needed:
Drill with drill bits
Saw (you can do it with a hacksaw if you're careful and take your time, but a power saw, sawzall, band saw if you have access, etc would be better)
Rivet popping gun (I think you can rent them from Ace Hardware IIRC)
Gloves

Materials needed:
Painter's tape
Aluminum/SS rivets
Hi-temp silicone

That's how rivets work. What it means by drilling out the rivet is using a drill bit that is big as wide as the middle or touch wider, and drill through the middle part so that the head pops off and the rivet is gone from the middle. This will let you separate everything.

Rules of thumb:

Steps:

Note:If it were me, and I wanted to keep the rear "two brothers racing" emblem, I'd cut from the front. If you wanted to cut from the rear, you'd need to re-rivet that emblem back on, and there'd still probably be a hole from the front rivet of the emblem which would leak exhaust. Since the clamp can go anywhere, I'd cut from the front. Also, in case you put a scratch or something, no one will ever see it if its on the front. But make sure you validate everything I've just said, it should be correct, but it's been a while since I've had a 600rr.

EDIT:Oh, and if it is indeed a CF pipe, look into wearing a mask.

And here are some pics. I just found this - so I guess if pictures work for you, you can skip what I wrote.

cutting my two brothers pipe : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

The only thing I'd do differently is A) more should come off, another inch or 2 at least. B) using tape will keep the CF safe from fraying when cutting and drilling. C) Silicone the front cap to give it a better seal.