front brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes question

While out riding today I noticed that when I use my front brake it seems to grab and release, grab and release. I kept it under constant pressure and did not use the rear just to make sure it was the front doing it. It almost feels like there might be a high spot in the brake discs. Any ideas?

Old 03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: front brakes question

your rotor may be warped mang! so it feels all lumpy right? check it out.
t

Old 03-07-2006, 07:22 PM

It is possibe that one or both of the rotors are slightly warped. If that is not case did you touch the rotors with greasy hands? Their might ba a slick spot.

Warping the rotor can happen by hard braking and not allowing the rotor to cool evenly. ie. Riding/braking hard and coming to a stoplight and holding the brakes closed. This causes a hot spot where the brake pads are not allowing the rotors to cool at the same rate as the rest of the rotor. You may not notice it the first time or second or third for that matter, but sooner or later you will come to a stop and the pads will happen to catch the spot where the metal has been fatigued then boom you will have a noticeable warp. Generally this does not apply to regular riding even stopping from freeway speeds (75 and below). If you go over tripple digits and brake to slow down then come to a stop that is when the brakes really heat up. Even if you slowed down a couple of miles back brake rotors can still retain heat no matter how many vent holes you have.

I know this from experience, I have since changed my habbits when coming to a stoplight. Both brakes to stop then rear brake to hold the bike once in position. Sometimes I even roll the bike back an inch or two once I have come to a complete stop.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Steeviee

It is possibe that one or both of the rotors are slightly warped. If that is not case did you touch the rotors with greasy hands? Their might ba a slick spot.

Warping the rotor can happen by hard braking and not allowing the rotor to cool evenly. ie. Riding/braking hard and coming to a stoplight and holding the brakes closed. This causes a hot spot where the brake pads are not allowing the rotors to cool at the same rate as the rest of the rotor. You may not notice it the first time or second or third for that matter, but sooner or later you will come to a stop and the pads will happen to catch the spot where the metal has been fatigued then boom you will have a noticeable warp. Generally this does not apply to regular riding even stopping from freeway speeds (75 and below). If you go over tripple digits and brake to slow down then come to a stop that is when the brakes really heat up. Even if you slowed down a couple of miles back brake rotors can still retain heat no matter how many vent holes you have.

I know this from experience, I have since changed my habbits when coming to a stoplight. Both brakes to stop then rear brake to hold the bike once in position. Sometimes I even roll the bike back an inch or two once I have come to a complete stop.
I've never touched the rotors nor have I ever had the bike up over 60. I've only owned it about a month, but who knows what the guy who owned it before me did. It doesn't look like the rotors are warped, but then again a warp that isn't visible to the naked eye would probably be enough to make it brake like that. I guess I'll have to take it in a get it checked.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean your rotors first with brake cleaner. there may be some nasty stuff on there.
also check the pads mang...

is your suspension set up uneven? check for that too.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM

If you have the oppurtunity to lift the front tire off the ground, try to spin the wheel. You might be able to hear where the pads hit the rotor. Also try to eyeball the rotor while the wheel is spinning, you will notice it if there is a small warp. It is possibe you may only have one rotor that is warped. Or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade! Hmmmmmmm. Don't the Brembo's sound good! Save your money, don't go to the mechanic unless you absoutly have to. Even then you might be able to do it yourself. I'm just saying that because I'm poor, and I can't afford to spend $$$ on a useless mechanic which generally dosn't know the difference between a 45mm fork and a 12"*****. That is just what it seems like around here(Seattle). You could get lucky and find a mechanic who knows the difference between a Honda and Harley. Possible, Stranger things have happened.
Good luck with whatever you do. I really hope it is nothing serious. Do you think a kid around the neighborhood might have touched it? Even oil from your skin can affect things like that.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 PM

Do you think a kid around the neighborhood might have touched it?

Doubt it, he would have needed to get by the shotgun I have rigged to kill anything within 5 feet of my bike. Hehe, but seriously I hear you about the mechanic, I have to save every buck as well man. I'll try to get the front wheel up so i can take a look, but I did notice that while I was pushing it around the garage it made a noise at a certain spot on the rotor so I'll check there first. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Hey duck, mine does the same exact thing... I think my fronts are warped a little bit. when slowing from highway speeds its enough to start a small tank slapper if I get on em hard, so ive learned to use the rear more while I wait to get new rotors... not sure if yours is the same as mine, but I notice it big time when just rolling the bike backwards, or forwards for that matter... just squeeze the lever a tiny bit and roll it... mine make a howling sound, then quiet then howling... sometimes it sounds like metal on metal.... hoping this is just the rotors... or is it pads?

sorry to jack your thread bro, but im just saying what mine do, and what i think it is

good luck with it, sucks to not have the confidence in your fronts like you should....

Chris

Old 03-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Mine isn't that bad, and I don't really notice it except for at really low speeds, like under 10mph. Actually I didn't notice it at all until today when I was rolling down a hill in a parking lot, just applying a little front brake to keep it at about five or so. Any other time they feel fine, which makes me think it might actually just be some gunk or something, either that or the rotor is just very slightly warped. Otherwise they work fine. I have noticed some squealing in the last few feet of a stop so I suppose it could be pads. I'm not too terribly worried about it, other than the fact that I just know little problems can turn into BIG problems very quickly when it comes to bikes.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:55 AM

My rotors are the same, to avoid buying all new clamp a set of plyers on one side and tape the handles (not enought to do damage just enough to restrict the fluid flow) and take her down the street a little ways break and if its smooth you'll know its the clamped one. do it on both sides to see which or if both are warped. I just did this to mine and it was only the right one however being a perfectionist I had to buy all new wave rotors front and back (490.00 with pads F**K it never stops) I get them thursday yippie!! its for my girls safty of course. (that what I tell her) I also got new pads just to make sure and I have the break fluid to flush both front and back just to make sure everything is all new cant be to safe when it comes to stopping.

Quick Reply: front brakes question