Female needs some advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Female needs some advice!!!!

[8D]Ride at times when there is little traffic, and lots of empthy parking lot practice. Don't under any circumstances ride above your level. It's really easy to let things get out of hand.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 AM

I think you are fine- I've had my bike now for about a month 1/2 and I'm just finally getting comfortable with the bike- I shift at about 4500 rmps, keeps my gas milage around 42mpgs- I had probably a good 5 hours parking lot time just buzing back and forth and turning, practicing both directions of turns. I found its alot harder to control the bike going slow than fast- Dont worry about being nervous- better to be afraid and respect the bike, then being cocky and start to do stupid stuff- Take your time and good luck-

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 AM

Absolutely, I mean ab-so-freakin'-lute-ly accumulate money to go to a Star School when it in your area.
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/. It is NOT a racer school and will get you unsurpassed one-on-one instruction. This is a slam dunk requirement. I am unaffiliated with the school - just know that the instructors will help you immensely, with no traffic, no intersections, no crap on the road, no oncoming cars, yada yada.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM

get hold of local mature riders...make sure they're not some squids...
and ask for an advice...good luck!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 AM

find someone to ride with or at least someone in a car to follow or lead, to keep the jerks away from you

maybe there are some members who live close to you that help, i'd do it but i'm on the other side of the world

you'll get there just take it easy

Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: raptor
find someone to ride with or at least someone in a car to follow or lead, to keep the jerks away from you
Thats what i did with my wife when she first started riding, she put in alot of parking lot hours, then alot of hours on a dead end road with no traffic, and when she was finally ready to ride i rode behind her and acted as a buffer, especially freeway riding. when we needed to get on from an on ramp id still let her go first but i would be the first one to jump out in traffic then signal her over. and id put her on the side of the lane away from traffic. (i.e. slow lane, she was next to the shoulder fast lane she was next to the guardrail) and we always ride staggered, never ride side by side, no room to manuever if you get in trouble. and just my extra .02- if you get someone to ride with you invest in a set of chatterboxes, they save you alot of hassle in the long run as far as communicating lane changes, direction of travel, watch this jerk in the yukon, etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Isay it would be good to have a patient and experienced rider go with you. Don't ride with somone that will pressure you into riding faster than your ready to.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:16 AM

I'm about 2 weeks in and have 8 miles of experience. I'm still nervous but its getting better. I'm taking it slow and just riding around the neighborhood. There is no rush to get onto a busy road. Spend time riding early on the weekends.

Drekkyk

Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Ok I don't even mind saying this. The first week I had mine I actualy cried one night. Yep I did not like bad or anything I just got worked up about how many close calls you can have in one day. But then I settled into the all ready firmly planted thought that I am a better driver than everyone one the raod anyway . Once I became comfrtable realy leaning then I was not even a little bit nervouse. also just fyi your going to have to come to terms with this thought or your going to get hurt probably badly so please listen........................ YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH. Maybe not today or tomorrow but YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH so be smart buy as much and nice of gear as you can. nicer the gear cooler your skin stays safer your head is and you probably will live to ride another day. Not trying to be harsh but if ya want true safty ya should have bought a volvo lol.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 AM

Wow, just like that. You are going to crash and you are going to die. Well, you wont die if you spend money on gear. Well maybe.

The risk comes to this. You are more likely to die on a bike then in a car. That is it. Take whatever precautions you can. You still CAN die in a car. You can die in a swimming pool. You can die at any time. When your number is up, its up.

I feel if you take motorcyling seriously and do what you can to be the best and safest rider you can, then you will be ok. If not, you were meant to go.

Alternative is to never leave your house and pray that the world wont end each and every day.

What more can you do? I'd be mad if I died in a car when I avoided riding a bike because I was scared of dying.

Quick Reply: Female needs some advice!!!!