Does the 600RR sit high for everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the 600RR sit high for everyone?

I have been looking around and today I went to the honda dealer today to sit on a 06RR and I had to tippy toe on the bike. I asked the dealer a little about the bike and he told me he didn't really know to much about them and that he knew more about yamaha and suzuki (this was a honda only dealer). I mentioned something about the r6's and he seemed excited about the new ones. It kinda worried me that the guy knew nothing about the bike but maybe I just a new guy. So I asked this other lady that worked there about the mpg and she had no clue.. She said she thinks it might be 40-45mpg.

Then they tried to sell me an 06rr for 9970$ out the door. Not sure if that's a good deal or not but the part where they didn't know anything worried me.

But back to topic, I went to the yamaha deal and sat on some r1's (they were out of r6's) and I was able to put my feet down. The sales rep there also knew a lot about bikes... He said that the new r6's were 3" taller than the 05 r1's. But I was wondering if anyones stock rr is kinda tall for them? I'm 5'9 and it seems kinda high for me... Is it a lot to lower a bike (front and back so it still looks real sporty)?

Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Default RE: Does the 600RR sit high for everyone?

First off, 9970 is a horrible price, i paid over a grand less OTD. Ive never thought the rr to sit high, but im just about 6' so no bike will really sit high on me. Its not a big deal to lower the bike but it does reduce cornering capability a good amount.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 AM

Yea I really didnt like the price they gave me because I was reading some where on these forums about a dealership in the south (AL or GA area) that sells them for around 7800$ OTD... I cant remeber the website but someone posted it on here. anyone know what dealership im talking about?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Retired Administrator

Where are you? I believe we have a place in TN. that sells them for less than 8k otd. I use to think the same as gator until my buddy with the same build as me sat on my bike. My inseam is 34 and his is closer to 31. The seat height is 32 inches and with the wide seat, you loose some of your inseam. I'm flat foot and he's tiptoe all the way. You shouldn't have to worry about it much because you normally only stop with one foot down. The MSF teaches you to brake with your right and put your left foot down only... backwards to what works for me. I do use my rear brake when stopping, but I like keeping my shifting foot ready. The MPG are hard to say, mine was in the high 40's when I had stock gearing... but only on a trip. If I was daily driving... where you have a lot more stop and go.... quick launches and so on.... I'd be lucky to see 40mpg. I'm seeing about 35mpg right now with -1 on my counter sprocket and I'm saving some tread on my front at every take off.

Good luck with whatever bike you choose.... the seat height is about the same, but it's not hard for you to deal with and will comfortable after you get use to the bike.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM

I see more than one issue here. First, they are sales people at a Honda Dealership and they know nothing about the bikes? Thats odd. Sounds to me like they are "between jobs". Second, $9970 OTD is rediculous! Find a new dealer! As far as lowering the bike, I have not done it but I have talked to people who have and it is supposed to be really easy. I am 6' 1" so I have no problem reaching the ground. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:57 AM

A lot of newbies get worried about not being able to touch both feet flat on the ground, but don't be concerned about this, tip toes are fine because you can shift on the seat to balance the bike. Also DO NOT LOWER THE BIKE EVER!!! This changes the geometry of the bike and reduces handling, lowers ground clearance and makes the bike less stable...exactly the thing a newbie doesn't need!

As far as gas mileage, my '03 RR gets around 28 to 30 mph, but its a freaking sport bike (not made for gas mileage)...

Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM

I've been on one. Its not so much the seat height as it is the seat width. Somebody at honda dropped the ball when it came to the 600RR/100RR. A hard, wide, square seat.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Question: did you try it with tennis shoes or the boots you will be riding with...with my boots on flat footed but other shoes toes....FYI

Old 12-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Retired Administrator

I like the wide seat... it works for me... nice place to slide on

Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Rev

i love the way it sits..i like towering over the bike

Quick Reply: Does the 600RR sit high for everyone?