Convincing them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Convincing them?

yea i just convinced my mom a couple months ago... and just convinced my step dad literally last week (which is why i havent got one yet) but now that their both ok i should have one in a couple weeks.

my step dad has always had motorcycles he doesnt right now because he sold his to move into our new house, but he got laid off and i had to wait a long time to talk to him about it b/c his main issue is money, not necessarily me riding one. Luckily my mom is really cool so she helped me convince him after i got her to come around but i did what basically everyone else did just keep bringing it up. i brought it up to my mom all the time because i felt more comfortable tryin to convince her first, then once i got her on my side, she helped me convince my step dad so that strategy can work also.

like everyone else said i think the fact that ive looked up info on bikes and prices, and everything helped alot to because when the convo's about bikes would start i knew all kinds of stuff. I owe alot of that to this site, ive been getting on here for a couple months now. But either way good luck... hopefully ill have my loan by next friday, or early in the week after that and ill be able to get one after that. hopefully urs goes as goo das mine did.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 PM

im 16 and convinced my parents and now own an 04 600rr. Plan it out and take your time. Talk money purchasing a bike and whata re the pro's. Really tell them your gonna go slow and take it easy and not pull any stupid ****. Because if you do your gonna crash like 3 of my my friends did already and that didn't help sway my moms opioin.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Madhadda

I need them to co-sign. Any tips on convincing them? Ive showed my mom Im determined, prepared, taking it slowly, taking msf, i missed 0 on my test. etc.

any help?
Take the right steps like you're already doing with the MSF course and keep at it until they give in.Start gearing up. Show them that you want to protect yourself if you went down. Buy motorcycle mags and leave 'em in the bathroom, the coffee table, everywhere....do it subliminal-style if you have to.

Educate yourself. Why not pick up some riding technique books over at Barnes & Nobles? They havebooks for all skill levelsof riding and are very helpful in many ways.

In the long run, the thing you must not do is crash or that'll reinforce your parents' dispositionon bikes andyou can prolly forgetabout anotherco-sign after that.

The key to not crashing is not riding beyond your comfort level.....ever. Not now anyways. Wait a while to scare the crap outta yourself.

Oh, and dropping your bike is not crashing.

Good luck and stay safe once you're up on two.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

If you can. Convince them to go with you to the MSF course and ask questions, observe. Pretty much every parent that I've talk to that hasn't ridden a motorcycle before assume they are the worst things on the road. Reason being is they only see crash aftermaths, that squid doing smokey burnouts at the stop lights, wheelies on the interstate... etc. If shown that people actually take the time and responsibility to use them properly: The parents can be shown that they are just another form of transportation that can be enjoyable.

Even before I got my bike I assumed the worse and was "man, bikes are incredibility dangerous". But then I just realized they are dangerous in the wrong hands.

Be smart about it... Show them you don't want the fastest or newestthing out there, you want to make gear for yourself and the bike your initial investment, start talking to them about how you've been studying the bikes and what are the things to watch out for (this impressed my dad, he tried to quiz me but I blew him away and went on talking about things for 30+mins..lol), let them know you're willing to work with them (ie. start off in parking lotsunder their supervision, ride only when they are following you, setting round trip mileage...etc) and if they say no.... don't worry. Use that time to save up for the stuff and track days . .... It is incredibility hard to convince parents especially at your age(i'm assuming you're younger)but don't give up.

+1 on doing your research before you hope on one of these things. Shows a huge amount of maturity on your part. I just hope you can hold that together when you get on one and are tempted to impress that girl or your friends.

Goodluck!!!
I already have "that girl" and my friends already ride so there isnt anything to impress them about.
Im not in it for that.
Im in it to ride.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM

lol *prints out forum*

THANKS A LOT

I am working towards getting my mom on my side now. MSF - Is schedualed and money at hand
Im working on selling my WoW accound for $600 for my helm.
Im doing it right.
I hold a secure job.
I get a raise in around mid jan.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Dropping WoW is probably a good life choice for you right about now, lol. =P

Old 12-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Haha i hvnt played in months. I just wanted to get rid of the account for $$

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM

what the hell is wow?
dude dont convience them of anything. if you really want a bike then save up and just get it. when you show up with a bike in the house, there is very little they can do. they can yell and might mess it up a bit but the end result is that you have it and they will realize that its out of their hands.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: alekinci

what the hell is wow?
dude dont convience them of anything. if you really want a bike then save up and just get it. when you show up with a bike in the house, there is very little they can do. they can yell and might mess it up a bit but the end result is that you have it and they will realize that its out of their hands.

No Bro, your going at it the wrong way. Im not going to stress the living hell out of them. But if i get them to see how bad it really isnt, they'll help me out with payments / insurance.. Co-sign. ETc..

But yes, worse comes to worse, ill do that.

Now I got my mom on my side by sitting her down. Talking to her about it. Showing her the MSF classes. ( my local one has a video!!!) and telling her "listen, im getting this either way, but you guys can help me be more safe with better gear, or imma do it on my own. So if you guys want to be more secure, your going to have to help out."

Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you trying to get them to buy the gear for you? saying otherwise you wont wear it?

not the best way to go about it either. best if you bought the gear.....FULL gear, head to toe, and showed them you mean business about A) getting one, and B) being safe as possible on one.

my parents were absolutely positively 100% against me getting one. i went online and signed up for the MSF class, bought MYSELF a helmet, jacket, and gloves. got the loan myself, got the insurance myself.......and make 100% of the payments myself.

my advice is to gear up off your own money and dont give them a guilt trip.

Quick Reply: Convincing them?