CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   City riding with a 600rr (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/city-riding-600rr-115453/)

dmayer 09-17-2010 03:20 PM

caspian is right. i had a ninja 250r and traded it in for a cbr 600. in the city the ninja was fine(30-50mph), but at freeway speeds it was real bad. i had a hard time maintaining 70-80mph. you will love a bigger 600. it has all kinds of passing power. for some reason i feel safer on it on the freeeways compared to the 250.
if you're just using the bike for commuting a different type of bike may suit you better. i have the need for speed and thats why i got a 600. remember sportbikes aren't designed for comfort, maybe a shadow would work?

N8 Dawg 09-17-2010 11:14 PM

I love my 09 600rr. It is more comfortable than my old F4, but all the sport bikes I have rode are not really comfortable....I have rode a few cruisers and they are comfortable, but I still love sportbikes and until I can have both a sportbike and a cruiser I will be sticking with sportbikes.

speedracer3605 09-18-2010 03:14 PM

I put 40,000 miles commuting on a ninja 650 and they're great for that. I got my 09 600rr after my commute went from 80 miles round trip to now it 14. I LOVED my 650r but i wanted better suspension and handling as i ride in the north ga mtns alot. I can tell you for me at 6'2 and 230lbs out of all the 600's the honda is the most comfortable. These bikes are made to run and every once in awhile you'll need to open it up. But imho they are not as useless as a commuter as most think. i love my rr and i'm glad i got it. you'll get used to the seating position just remember to grip with your knees and that will take your weight of your wrists. But also remember if want a 600 buy it and try it if it doesnt work out for you just sell it or trade it and get something else! if you do get a 600rr, for me the best way to secure cargo is use 2 cargo nets, 1 under the back seat and then get some spring loaded clips and hook them together it works great!! good luck with your decision!!

Kuroshio 09-18-2010 05:17 PM

I have a 06 F4i (nana seat) and tried my friends 600rr. Between the two the F4i is more comfortable slighty. The banana seat gives you more room to shift around. And the grab bar is handy for twist stretching at lights :p But when going back and forth to work, I do feel like even the F4i is sulking a little. Just a tiny bit upset of having to do stop n go running, barely getting out of 2nd gear.

I'd say based on your experience a Fi 600 (2001+ F4is & 600rrs) is a good idea because likely you'll soon start feeling the itch. And then you will go out and find twisty roads to hit. The Hondas are extremely versatile. Both bikes can handle a daily commute easily, almost too easily. When its time to hit the highways, they'll be in their comfort zone. Into the twisties, the 600rr will begin to outperform the F4i (given equal skill on them) imo. And if you go to the track...

Well, if I could tolerate hearing my girlfriend whine about another bike I'd get a 600rr for track days

snakerb 09-19-2010 10:02 PM

I ride my friends harley and other types of bikes all the time and use my 08 600RR for both daily commuting to work and cruising highway and back roads on weekends. 6ft 170 lbs and I have no comfort issues, especially since the seat has been broken in. Given the crusier is more comfortable, it just isn't as fun for me as a sportbike. Try riding different types of bikes (if possible) and see which fits your needs best.

fubbzie 09-19-2010 11:05 PM

Woah wait, NH seacost and you can't find nice roads? I do believe your not looking hard enough, I live in southern Maine and Usually ride down into NH or far North into Maine for Riding, I've seen many great roads in NH Just have to go find em. Either go North into Maine or go West they are there. I know a guy who travels stop and go to work every day on his 1000rr on Rt 1 and he says it only get a little uncomfortable, I've never had a problem with the F4i in more city like areas like Portsmouth and Portland.

Seshed 09-20-2010 01:43 AM

my first bike was a ninja 650r not a bad option more comfortable then being hunched up on a super sport for driving a 30-45 min commute to and from work in the city... and a few grand cheaper, still tops out at 140ish rather than 160 but from what ur doing it dosent sound like u need a 600rr inless your trying to get some ass but even then the 650r is a respectable bike

Ocelot012 10-05-2010 11:47 PM

what do you all think about a two hour highway ride on the RR? i live 2 hours south of my family and have been looking at the F4I's and RR's for quite some time

Seshed 10-06-2010 03:17 AM

Ive done around 5 hr HWY rides with out much problem at all 2.5 hrs there took a 45 min break and 2.5 hrs back.... I've done city group rides that have gone from 7 PM to around 1 AM with no problem at all, and of coarse back road/twistys for hrs on end. I've found that its a pretty comfortable bike yes it may be more so on a more up right bike but its definitely due able. It may be worse for taller folk's being hunched up and all but for me being 5'8" i have no problem at all going for 5 hr rides...

snakerb 10-07-2010 09:51 PM

I say go with a more up right/cafe racer bike if you're that worried about it. They're still fast enough, more comfortable and you can still get ass with them. After all, doesn't sound like you plan on doing any twisties or highway riding