chicken strips

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chicken strips

Does it really matter that you have chicken strips??? It seems to me you have more of confidence issue. Get over it, no one cares. Only you do.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:14 PM

I still have about a half inch on both sides. Im thinking about taking sand paper to them for some reason when I leave from a stop sometimes I actualy lean more than when Im traveling faster through a turn. The result is that if I give it to much gas from the stop that the rear tire has stepped out on me several times and scared the **** out of me. I can't figure Out how I'm doing it. Ohh and this is the reason why its not good to have them because that shiny layer is more slipery. I don't think its a good idea to gradualy widen them each time you make it a little wider that means at some point in your turns you are hitting and might i add counting on that fresh set of shiny tire to stick to the road so your realy just rolling the dice. Ive made mine as wide as they are for most part by weaving back and forth in on lane as much as i could so not to count on that part of the tire later on in a turn.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 AM

i've got about 1/2" on the front, and 1/4" on the rear. it's weird because the front wear is symmetrical, and the rear left is worn more than the right. does that mean i'm sliding or something? you'd think the front and rear would wear together, right?

Old 07-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is paying WAY too much attention to their "chicken strips", when it in reality, they don't mean a damn thing about a rider's capabilities.

If your strips are gone from street riding, then you need to count your graces, because someone is watching over you.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:50 AM

yeah, reading way too much into it.they dont mean anything,, except that maybe you ride to fast for the street. I know some guys, that can scrub a set of Pilots in and have no chicken strips on the rear, and only like a 1/4 on the front, then change the tires to a different profile, and they cant even get to the edge. so forget about them!!

as for the guy that is leaning over while taking off, that so called slippery part of the tire isnt your problem, and I seriously doubt its slipping anyway. If you are leaning that far over, first, you need to learn how to use your clutch and gas. have you taken the MSF? I believe they cover that in great detail.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: enzogfx

"chicken" strips are the unused portion of your tire along the sides-
If you dont ever lean you will have a substancial strip of fresh tread so to say. So if you are "chicken" and afraid to lean into your turns you will have larger "chicken strips."
I've only been riding a few months and I still have a couple inches left. They will go away in time, but for now, Im a chicken.
I still have chicken strips on my bike and I probably wont be loosing them any time soon if at all.... not because I am afraid but because I ride the street and I dont ride agresivly.... maybe some day my 06 will be a track bike then they will all go away... quit dragging my knee on the street when the guy in front of me was ripped in half after hitting a pickup head on...... just rather not use my daily driver on the track....

Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about it!!!
or you will look like a "tool" like this fella,
or you can buy his "How to" video.
Kinda pathetic I think.

Saw this on another site, that came from another site.
I am thnking about producing an informational video to help those who are tired of being shamed by their chicken strips. After removing my strips I can now hang out at bike night with pride. Here are some pics of the techniques that I currently recommend. What do you guys think? Dont be hatin!

Belt Sander technique: For strips larger than 1 inch start with 80 grit

Manual File technique: A course rasp will get things started

Torch Technique: Be careful not to burn your shizzle

Old School Curb technique: Back into the curb at a 30-45 degree angle and do a burnout

Old 07-08-2007, 05:33 PM

That's just nuts, what a complete idiot!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM

For me the less I try the moreIlean, Ive put about 8000 miles on my bike in just over a year, at the end of last summer they were about 3/4 in. and now theyre less than 1/4in. I just focus on my line. Speed with accuracy.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM

What a f**king idiot!!! That is almost funny exept for the fact that he could KILL somebody!!! (Not including himself...he's freaking brain dead!)

Quick Reply: chicken strips