CBR RR ergonamics

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find an older bike, it will be a lot cheaper and quite a bit more forgiving as far as the handling and throttle response goes. the RR is not a literbike, but it is still a very fast bike that can surprise you if you are not suspecting it or get caught off guard. insurance is a lot better on the old bikes as well something to consider

Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by cbreric
find an older bike, it will be a lot cheaper and quite a bit more forgiving as far as the handling and throttle response goes. the RR is not a literbike, but it is still a very fast bike that can surprise you if you are not suspecting it or get caught off guard. insurance is a lot better on the old bikes as well something to consider

I was considering an older CBR because of insurance and my lack of riding time. Sorry to make this thread so far off topic.

Kenny

Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Rev

Originally Posted by karsonsdaddy
I've considered getting a smaller bike, but for the money I make working, going to school full time and having a 1 year old, I couldn't afford getting a smaller bike just to "get the feel of riding". I feel like I'm responsible enough and have enough respect for the machines that I would know my limits and not push them too far. If I am able to find a smaller bike that would work well with my financial situation and allow me to bump up to a bigger bike in a year or so then I would be all for it. Right now I'm thinking of getting a 3 or 4k dollar 600 that maybe someone has already laid down, something that I wont be too upset about dropping.

Kenny

Being a new rider I suggest you find one sit on it and if you have a license already take it for a spin. It is difficult to ask people how they feel on bikes because it is a matter of personal choice. I had the 05 rr and now I own an 07 rr. The seats are like night and day. I loved how the 05 rr felt but my butt felt the pain after a long ride. Now I can ride the 07 rr for hours.

Same goes to the original thread maker. Sit on it, ride it and make your own judgement. After my 05 RR I tried out other bikes...Just didn't have the RR feel to me.

Good Luck w/ the bike choice. Remember you can have respect for the bike...but it's the other idiots on the road you have to watch out for.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenny don't worry about your own height. I am only 5' 4" and have an 03 600RR and all I do is shift my hips over a little when I stop. Comparing my F4 to my RR, well there was a little more comfort with the F4 over the RR, but when I did the F4i tail end switch, the seat was the same. Keep the bike at the regular height and you will enjoy it better. As for starting out, I would not recommend a 600rr for a first bike. i started out on a Suzuki GS500e, then my 2000 F4 and then my RR. I would probably have killed myself if I had started on a RR. Just my .02

Originally Posted by karsonsdaddy
Sorry, not trying to thread jack here but my question relates. I'm a shorter guy (about 5'6") and looking into getting my first bike. Would I have trouble riding without lowering the bike? I'm also worried about comfort because I will be riding 2 hours a day for school. I'm considering lowering the bike I get regardless but just curious if the factory height would give me any problems.

Kenny

Last edited by cwmc29; 06-25-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Katana and CBR are in two different worlds. Having both and around your size I feel to tired about the same time on both bikes. The CBR feels like my road bicycle the Katana feels like a lead sled. So when you get tired on your Katana it maybe around the same on the CBR.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Much thanks to everyone for their input!!

Originally Posted by Rev
Being a new rider I suggest you find one sit on it and if you have a license already take it for a spin. It is difficult to ask people how they feel on bikes because it is a matter of personal choice. I had the 05 rr and now I own an 07 rr. The seats are like night and day. I loved how the 05 rr felt but my butt felt the pain after a long ride. Now I can ride the 07 rr for hours.

Same goes to the original thread maker. Sit on it, ride it and make your own judgement. After my 05 RR I tried out other bikes...Just didn't have the RR feel to me.

Good Luck w/ the bike choice. Remember you can have respect for the bike...but it's the other idiots on the road you have to watch out for.
I am def considering a smaller bike. I've been talking to several people through PM's about it and I'm just young and hardheaded lol. I need to just get a smaller bike until I get some seat time in on the road. Like you said, "you can respect the bike, but its other IDIOTS on the road you have to watch for"! I am just thinking about the cost of buying a bike I really don't want just to learn to ride.

Originally Posted by cwmc29
Kenny don't worry about your own height. I am only 5' 4" and have an 03 600RR and all I do is shift my hips over a little when I stop. Comparing my F4 to my RR, well there was a little more comfort with the F4 over the RR, but when I did the F4i tail end switch, the seat was the same. Keep the bike at the regular height and you will enjoy it better. As for starting out, I would not recommend a 600rr for a first bike. i started out on a Suzuki GS500e, then my 2000 F4 and then my RR. I would probably have killed myself if I had started on a RR. Just my .02
Much appreciated bro! I'm not too worried about my butt being sore. I was just concerned about coming to a stop. But like you said I could just shift my weight and hold myself up. What did you mean by I would enjoy the stock height better? Just curious.

Thanks again guys! I will keep checking in for updates!

Kenny

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM

I completely disagree about being able to just shift your weight over to one side to hold the bike up. ever back up a bike that is too tall? ever come to a stop on uneven ground so you are trying to put your foot down in a low spot? what about a little bit of sand/gravel when your foot hits the ground? all of these are reasons to lower a bike if it is too tall for you. and you don't have to get a 250 ninja, get an f1, f2, f3, any and all are good bikes and a lot more forgiving as they are less toward being a race bike. and you can always sell it or use it as a trade in a few years down the road. and for the love of your skin/skull, take the coarse and WEAR THE RIGHT GEAR!!!!!!!! jst trying to help

Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 PM

judging by the two bikes you've ridden i'd say you'd be more comfortable on an F4i

I've never ridden a duc ss, but i've been on all the others
out of the rr, f4i, and katana the least comfy to me (5' 10 155) was the rr
it felt like my *** was above my shoulders in comparison to either the f4i or katana
i ride an f4i and wouldn't imagine riding an rr for any length of time after having it

the clip ons are below the triple clamp on an rr unlike the others you mentioned, which is why it has that feeling

Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 PM

what did you have for a supersport Ducati anyways? my buddy has a 95 900ss and did not like the RR at all other than mechanical wise. the ergos had his hands and *** sore after a 6 mile ride, if that gives you any idea

Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much appreciated bro! I'm not too worried about my butt being sore. I was just concerned about coming to a stop. But like you said I could just shift my weight and hold myself up. What did you mean by I would enjoy the stock height better? Just curious.
When I had my F4 it had been lowered by the previous owner. When I did the F4i tail swap I had the rear reset to the stock height. I found the bike handled better in the turns that way. Before the bike felt sluggish, but after, I found the effort to turn was much easier.

I completely disagree about being able to just shift your weight over to one side to hold the bike up. ever back up a bike that is too tall? ever come to a stop on uneven ground so you are trying to put your foot down in a low spot? what about a little bit of sand/gravel when your foot hits the ground? all of these are reasons to lower a bike if it is too tall for you. and you don't have to get a 250 ninja, get an f1, f2, f3, any and all are good bikes and a lot more forgiving as they are less toward being a race bike. and you can always sell it or use it as a trade in a few years down the road. and for the love of your skin/skull, take the coarse and WEAR THE RIGHT GEAR!!!!!!!! jst trying to help
I was a little worried when I was looking at the RR because of my short legs. Once on the bike I had no issue. When I approach a stop sign, light or whatever I make a quick scan of the ground and make the adjustments I need. I still feel that you should start out on a smaller bike. My GS500e was $2500 Cdn and I sold it 2 yrs later for $2000. I used that for my F4 and when I sold the F4 I used that money for my RR. Also go to the show rooms and sit on a used RR (the year your looking for) and that will give you the best feeling for the bike.