CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Bought a cbr with some interesting issues! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/bought-cbr-some-interesting-issues-155670/)

CharlesS 03-09-2017 08:59 PM

Bought a cbr with some interesting issues!

So before anyone insults my intelligence, I know I'm a dummy. I just bought a Cbr600rr on Craigslist. I had previously owned an 03 and loved it, so I kinda rushed the buying process a bit. Come to figure out AFTER buying the bike and researching what cool new features the 05 model brought along, I have the wrong front suspension. It's the 03/04 set up, brakes and all. I know that in order to get the correct front forks I need more or less the entire front clip aside from the controls, what I don't really know is how I can tell if I do need any of those controls. I also didn't notice the lock mechanism on the rear cowl was replaced with a button inside the hole. I believe the bike was either badly wrecked or more likely stollen and that's why they had to replace the front end and remove the rear cowl lock. Not sure if it's possible to get a new ignition set up and a new lock for that but any advice would be rad. Needless to say I'm having some buyers remorse any time I'm away from the machine and when I'm staring at it in my garage is fades quite a bit. It may not bother some people that their bike that they just purchased on the cheap has these issues but I'm kind of OCD about some stuff. I planned on doing work on the bike but this might be a bit much for me. The bike has a clean and clear title so if it's stollen or wrecked they must have rectified the situation on their own. I guess my question is what would you all do and if you all would fix the bike what advice do you have for sourcing those parts I'd need and what exactly should I need.

hamlin6 03-09-2017 09:13 PM

Don't let the current condition get you down. I am certified CDO, that is OCD but with the letters in the correct order as they should be. :)
Take the bike and make it perfect in your own way. I love factory correct bikes (OCD), but that doesn't mean you can't make a bike that isn't equally awesome. It's actually quite liberating to take some that isn't right and turn it into a work of art.
You can do it.

Jaybird180 03-15-2017 08:32 AM

It depends on what you do with the bike that determines if you want or need to change the front end or how far you want to go with it. Personally I don't like stock suspension, so I end up upgrading that anyhow. The 03/04 had conventional forks. Unless you plan on racing a 12year old bike, I wouldn't worry about it. You could however setup a search alert on Google for it and if you find one then buy it. Otherwise, enjoy your new bike.

You can find lock sets either online or at your local Honda dealer. I empathize with the need to correct that deficiency.

Spend a little time changing all the fluids and doing all the maintenance that you're certain to find neglected and your Honda will take care of you for a long time.