Bikes from a Police Officers Viewpoint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikes from a Police Officers Viewpoint...

I wanted to post in response to some threads I've read regarding speeding tickets, the police, and what happens when we stop you (or come to collect what's left of you).

First, concerning myself, I've been riding for 2 years, recently purchased a 2006 CBR600RR, and am in love with it. Anyway..

In the area I work there's a large number of bikes running up and down the interstate, most doing DC to Baltimore runs and trying to make the trip in 20 mins. Since I came on I've chased or stopped roughly 12-15 bikes, not bothering with groups. All of the bikes that ran and got caught got hammered. The ones that got away, well, got away. The three people that stopped, regardless of speed, were cut breaks to various degrees.

When I'm behind a bike that's speeding or filtering I consider the following things:

1. What are the traffic conditions? Is it 2am with no traffic? or 5pm rush hour traffic?

2. Is the rider speeding to keep his distance from other vehicles? or just gunning it for the hell of it? If he's gunning it, is it a matter of simple acceleration?, or going all-out?

3. What's the rider wearing? Is he or she wearing at least a riding jacket, good shoes, and gloves?....or t-shirt and flip-flops?
Regardless of if they get stopped, t-shirt and flip-flops is an instant negative.

As I get closer I look to see if the plate is visible, on the plate holder, or bent up to avoid ID. If its bent, you get stopped, whether you're speeding or not.

As I hit my lights: (for speeding or filtering)

A) the rider instantly signals that he sees me and pulls over ----> bonus points towards a warning. Even if he's speeding, but has a visible plate, and riding gear..this shows me he's aware of his surroundings and doesnt have his head up his a$$. Taking a few minutes to see me or not even seeing me until I pull alongside isnt automatically a bad thing as the mirrors on most bikes suck anyway. Still, showing me you're alert pushes me towards the Trooper Friendly side of my work mindset.

During the stop:

The best thing he can do as I approach is take off his helmet, turn off the bike, and set the key on the rear seat. After doing this keeping his hands visible. When I attempt to stop a motorcycle my adrenaline is already up, knowing that theres a good chance
he might not stop. If he trys to run the one thing he's thinking about is getting away. I'M thinking about not letting that happen, along with doing everything humanly possible to ensure the safety of the other vehicles on the road. Doing the things I just mentioned tells me two things: 1) He has common-sense and, 2) Its way less likely he's going to try and take off once I get out of my car.

If he's asked if he knows why stopped him, after being clocked or paced at 100mph+ and says, "No". Chances are a warning is not in the cards. Riding myself, I know its easy to do 15 to 20mph over and not realizing it. Because of this, I adjust my speed tolerance for bikes higher than cars. If you're doing 25, 30, 40mph, or higher over the limit and say you dont know why you're stopped you are insulting my intelligence. If you actually didnt realize how fast, then there's a real problem.

While talking with you I'll be checking out your bike, taking note of the tread, any damage to the fairing from previous spills, and if (rarely see this) you're pegs have consistent wear from contact with pavement (not simply damage from a crash) If it appears you have some riding ability (from what I observed of your riding and the condition of your bike) I take that into consideration as well. I also check you registration plate bracket to see if it has wear and tear from being regularing bent up.

The driving record:

Obviously, its good if you've got a clean record. On the flip side...8 points with the last violation being a month ago is not so good. I believe that a decent number of people out there, with c

Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Bikes from a Police Officers Viewpoint...

first off, i noticed that this is your first post. welcome and enjoy the site!

second, i want to thank you for the job that you do. i have a great deal of respect for all officers of the law. you work a dangerous job and get to see alot of people on the worst day of their life (very hard to deal with)

and onto the viewpoints that you expressed. you may receive some criticism from other riders for stopping a fellow biker, but not from me. i think that anyone who breaks the law, regardless of their choice of transportation, is just that: a lawbreaker and they deserve the penalty for the laws that they have broken. i consider myself a safe rider but i do admit that accelerating at a blinding rate (within reason on when to stop accelerating) is an extreme adrenaline rush and if/when i get caught doing it i will admit my mistake and take the penalty with pride. and for those that choose to run, arrest them on the spot and ensure the maximum penalty for their offenses.

reading this post was great. i know a few local officers but none of them are bikers. it is great to see that you seem to be just about the most understanding officer and do not view all sportbike riders as nothing more than hellraising vigilantes with a death wish. i truely hope that most of the cops out there are more like yourself instead of the few that i have had run-ins with in the past.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:53 PM

good info, I wish more cops were like you instead of trying to a bad-*** cuz they have a badge...

Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 PM

so to summarize: if you are a scum-bag, piece-o-crap then you are gonna get slammed....and if a respectful, contributing member of society, real person usually is better

got it and thanks for all you do CBR76

Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Wish we had more officers like you out in this world. I'm from a small town where I know for a fact none of the officers ride. While on leave from Iraq I got pulled over doing 10 over in a 50 mph zone. I am always courteous, because frankly I don't like being treated like a ******** therefore I assume nobody does. The officer came up to me with the worst possible attitude. He ended up letting me off with a warning but not without first telling me how much of a lowlife he really thought I was and how much I was endangering peoples lives. Thank you very much for being so understanding, yet still doing your job. Its also annoying to see cops that ride pull over NO bikers because they ride and think that motorcyclists catch too much crap as it is. I don't want that idiot out on the road with me doing 120 with his girlfriend on the back. Thats just stupid and he deserves to get pulled over, hopefully saving his life and if applicable his passengers.
I guess I just want to say its nice to see somebody out there doing such a great job. People are constantly asking me why I do my job, if its so dangerous and I say "Because the only other way to do what I'm doing is to be a cop...and thats way too dangerous". Keep up the good work.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 PM

Thank you very much for this post and for the job that you do. I wish they could all be like you. In the beginning of your post you said: "I wanted to post in response to some threads I've read regarding speeding tickets, the police, and what happens when we stop you (or come to collect what's left of you)." You say this as if you are speaking for all officers when, in fact, we all know that this is not how all officers act. I was speeding, I will admit to that and I will take any punisment that is deserved. I was not going 75 in a 45 and the officer lied. He simply lied because he could. He saw a young guy on a sportbike and new he could be a dick. He was never courteous or professional. After he gave me the 75 in a 45 he told me he was cutting me a break because he actualy clocked me at 80+ and I was lucky he wasnt taking me to jail. The point I am trying to make is that they do not all as professional/courteous or understanding as you do. Again thanks for the job that you do and for not being a dick because you have a badge.

Oh yah and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board!! Eloquent post there dude -- all that report writing must've paid off I have worked with a lot of cops over the years and have found that, like the rest of us, most of 'em are decent people with a couple idiots mixed in. I've been pulled over 3 times in the last year not for any violation, but because the cops wanted to either compliment me on my bike or ask where I got my HID lights. Of course they rode also but were driving po-po cars. Now here's the thing -- when they hit the blues I don't know it's cause they wanna know about my bike. I always assume the worst. Now it's a great relief when they say "You're not in trouble ... I just wanted to know ....." Maybe you guys need another color light to indicate that you just wanna talk $hit on the side of the road[8D]

Old 03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok what if the rider had pluses for all that you've stated...but he/she just smelled really bad mang?
what happens then? do you say "get outta mah town"?

yea...idiots on bikes...way too many of them.
T

Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM

Hey I just agree with nine2nine, a law breaker is a lawbreaker, thanks for doing your job and enjoy riding. Great posting

Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Retired Administrator

Thanks for the different point of view. Here's a question for you. I understand the assumption that a sport bike will run from you, but in the area I live in... I will hit the nearest off ramp after signaling and slowing down to the actual speed. The cops are here are kind of retarded when it come to pulling people over. For no amount of money would I stop someone on our interstates. Not only for my safety, but for the officers safety as well. The idiots around here will stop a car at a traffic light and write them up as rush hour traffic tries to maneuver around them. Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't they signal the car to move to a safe area then conduct the traffic stop? Have you seen some of the crazy videos of troopers getting hit on the interstates while conducting a stop (mostly Ohio Highway Patrol videos)? Hat's off to you... you can have that job.

Anyways, my question is... how bad will it look in the eyes of most officers if I don't stop right away and move to a safer area? I figured I'm in for a rough start anyways because I always carry a concealed 9mm that they will notice as soon as I open my jacket.

Quick Reply: Bikes from a Police Officers Viewpoint...