Shoei Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoei Helmet

So this is completely unrelated to my '08 CBR 600rr; however, I think it's an interesting (possibly dumb) question. I have a Shoei RF-1000 (Picotte 3 design) helmet and curious to know if I can install speakers. I'm tired of having my ear phones fall out of my ear mid ride and would like to simply listen through the helmet.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Default RE: Shoei Helmet

You know, I was considering doing this myself. Here's a couple options:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-18966.html
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-18213.html
The first one looks a little nicer, but either would probably do the job. The cheaper one seems to have more wiring to it.

I know this is off topic for this section (sorry everyone), but what's it like riding with music on?
I backed out of this idea because I was too nervous about not hearing critical road noises.
I blast music in the car, and in fact it makes me more attentive when I drive, so who knows.
What do you think - is it worth it?

Let me know what you decide on for helmet speakers. I have the same helmet btw. Peace,
-Sasha

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres what i did,

I went to the local dollar store and bought a pair of the older style headphone (the ones that are connected by that band that goes over your head, not the earbud ones) and i bought some velcro thats in the shape of a circle, about the size of a quarter. (you can just buy the strips or whatever, doesnt matter) then when i got home i tore the head band off the earphones, and pulled apart the back part of the speaker housing, so i could get it as flat as possible then i put some velcro on the back of the speaker and another peice inside my helmet where my ears go (lots of room in that space for it to fit) and thats it, i can remove the speakers whenever i want. works like a charm.
Total cost for the speakers and velcro $2.00

The reason i went this route is because i didnt want to wear earbuds while riding. I find them uncomfortable under my helmet, but most of all, they cancel out all other road noises.
Doing it the way i did, i canhear music but most importantly i can still hear other noises such as sirens and horns, etc etc...

Old 01-24-2009, 01:11 AM

if you are using Dr. Fingers method, here is an important note, put the fuzzy Velcro inside the helmet, not the hooked side, that way when you don't have the head phones in the Velcro doesn't tear up you ears, I haven't actually had this happen but i could imagine it would suck.

and a question on your method Dr. did you notice a reduction in sound quality from tearing the plasic off your speakers? (i can't imagine they had to much quality to begin with considering the were less then 2 dollars)

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM

With my ipod shuffle, i find the ear phones fit in fairly well, never had em come loose while riding. I would like to have a more perminate solution though. Buying better more $ earphones is one way.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gville George

and a question on your method Dr. did you notice a reduction in sound quality from tearing the plasic off your speakers?
No i didnt notice a reduction in sound quality from taking off the plastic. the only reason it was there was to make it look pretty and to hold the metal band in place. I only removed the back plastic part. i kept the front plastic part and the foam cover on it.
However, those earphones are meant to be pressed right up against your ears. when they are mounted in your helmet this isnt the case, i'd say there is a cm of air space between your ears and the speaker. so you do definetly loose some of the bass in your music, however this space is what lets you hear other road/traffic noise. It sounds kinda like listening to music in your car, but without the front speakers on.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM

A little off subject, but I was wondering if anybody knew if the X-11's were worth the extra 300 bucks over the RF-1000's?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM

good question, i have a TZR Tempest myself, id say for the $ the RF-1000 are quite good, the X-11 is there top lid though, so i guess tech speaking w impact graphs etc, the X-11 would be a better choice, but paying the extra $300 ouch? id say go for the RF, i may sell my Tempest and get an RFBreakthroughmyself, it would be just to color match better

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM

I have an rf-1000 and i like the fit of an X-eleven better, but not 300 dollars better, plus my rf-1000 is mint so i don't need another one, i would say try them both on, see what you like better.

as for crash protection, I have read things saying HJC's are on par with shoeis and Arais in single hit crashes, its when mutilple imacts come into play that there carbon fiber constuction has an advantage, plus they are lighter.

I think the rf-1000 and the x11 are pretty even in protection, the x11 is just a bit lighter and has more advanced aero dynamics.