Any good tips for first time riders with a passenger

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good tips for first time riders with a passenger

hey all, I tried searching the forums to see if anyone brought this up, and didn't find any. So my question is I'm still pretty new to riding I have about 200-300 miles under my belt and I was wondering what are some good tips I can give my g/f as a passenger and also what are some ways I can try and get comfortable with her on the back. thanks guys! and gals

Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Any good tips for first time riders with a passenger

MSF class said not to ride w/ a passenger till 1000 miles or 1 year. I suggest even longer than that.
Just my 2cents

Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Yea I do remember them saying that...Yea maybe i'll wait until next riding season..Thanks oh and would you recommend my g/f having gear?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Yes... i make my girlfriend wear MY gear when she rides.. i wear whatever else i got.... basically while shes riding with me she is #1 priority.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 PM

That's cool bro, hmm maybe i'll just buy her some gear, cuz I know I get the 3rd degree from her if I don't wear mine lol we're practically married we've been dating atleast 6yrs now.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ze9900

MSF class said not to ride w/ a passenger till 1000 miles or 1 year. I suggest even longer than that.
Just my 2cents
I don't remember them saying that at the MSF course unless I missed it lol. Thanks for the tip!

~Ed

Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Actually what i have heard is 1 year or 3,000 miles, also BOTH of you need to be fully geared up whenever you ride.

"Total Control; High Performance Street Riding Techniques" has a great chapter on riding 2 up
I highly recommend getting that book.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 AM

I dont do riders..its just easier that way...maybe you shouldseeif she wouldbe interested in taking a class and enjoying the ride on her own machine....

Old 10-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Gear for both you and your girl 100% of the time. I personally would recommend riding longer by yourself getting to know your bike. Safer for theboth of you. Make sure you have things like throttle control, braking, hard braking, evasive maneuvering, and inclinesdown extremely well before riding anyone. Next riding season sounds like a good idea.

When you're ready to ride a passenger, I always tell them thesefew things, even if they seem obvious to us it might not be for them. Its comes off a little stronger and intense but it keeps us alive and they have a blast.

(talking to the passenger)

1) Minimizing / No moving when starting orcoming to a stop.
2) Absoluting NO moving in a turn.
3) If I tuck behind the windshield .. hold on tighter and put yourhelmet down towards the middle of my back and keep it there til I start coming up. When I start to come up, come up slowly with me, not abruptly.
4) When making a turn .. try to look ahead and see what direction the turn is. Before the turn put your helmet to the right of my helmet if its a right hand turn / to the left side of my helmet if its a left hand turn.
5) I will give you a thumbs up when I ready for you to get on and off the bike.
6) Lean with the bike. (as if someone put a rod along your spine into the bike)
7) Lastly ... What you do has just as much affect on the bike and our outcome as if you were the driver.

Quick Reply: Any good tips for first time riders with a passenger