Am i ready for a 600CC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i ready for a 600CC?

Hi guys, i've been riding for about 6-7 months now on my Honda CBR125R. It's a great little bike, but i'm really craving a bit of extra power. I was planning to upgrade in a few months, so by then i'll have about 9-10 months riding experience.

I commute to University, so i do 50 miles every week day. I have quite a bit of experience already, but i know that it can take years and years to master bikes. I've been reading up on 600CC and some of what i read has made me nervous, about how hard and uncomfortable they can be to ride, etc.

I really love the look of the bike, it's not too heavy and i can afford one. I'm being honest though, i know how much power these bikes have, am i ready for one or am i being too hasty?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

I've been riding for only around 3 months, ive learned to ride and maintain bikes on a 88 600 hurricane. its been a thrill and ive only made myself nervous a few times, in my opinion if you think your ready go for it man just be carefull getting into it the 600's deffinetally let you know that your sitting on alot of power

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM

I think you should be just fine on a 600 just don't be afraid of it. If your all jumpy on it then you'll get hurt. 600's aren't that fast. They're a really fun all purpose bike though.
Two big differences i'd guess will be braking and acceleration. Go easy on the throttle until you get a good feel for it and control stop your bike. Don't panic and jam the rear on and dump the bike and worse dont hammer the front and go over the bars.
If you can ride a 125 though you should be fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

bottom line is that only you know if you're ready. with your current experience, the limits of what the 125 and 600 can do are above your abilities. the 600 has much higher limits than the 125 and will get beyond you quicker. with practice you will learn the bike, learn how to ride better, and close the gap and become one with the machine. if you can ride within YOUR limits and abilities...enjoy the new bike!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Hey man, I had the same inhibitions when I was shopping around. Honestly I went straight to a 600cbrf4i. I have learned one thing, and it is just to take your time. I think you will be fine on a 600 so long as you don't get nervous. There is a lot of torque difference that your jumpin to. Just ride it
Short distances, get used to the feel on leaning and throttling up on your turns. I give it about two weeks of riding before you feel pretty damn comfortable. Be safe regardless man! And remember always wear your PPE gear!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM

The 600 is not an uncontrollable bike. I'm sure you can handle it. Now that's not to say you can ride it ***** to the walls everywhere you go. If you can do so, then just quit what you're doing now and go talk to Honda for a sponsorship.

But that isn't the type of person you project yourself as. You seem responsible. Not like one of those kids who has 10 minutes of bicycle experience and decides to buy a 'Busa. These bikes are pretty powerless up to roughly 5,000 RPMs. Once you feel that power starting to hit, that's when you'll notice the difference between the 125 and 600. Again, not uncontrollable, you just need to not ride like a wild man (that's with any bike).

Long story short, you've got it!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. If you are will to ask these questions, you should be ready.
2. If you wear All The Gear All The Time, you should be ready.
3. If you respect the bike's power & treat her like a fine lady....YOU ARE READY...

The 600cc is actually one of my favorite class to ride...all the power you have ready to go, versatile and easy to flick back and forth....more power makes it safe on the highway to excel away from potential harzards...Vs 125...

Of course complete the MSF course & get your M1/M2 license...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the replies. Really cleared a few things up, and made me feel like i am doing the right thing. I'm all excited now! Can't wait to get the new bike, i'll post pics on here when i get it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Always, always wear all the gear. Full face helmet, gloves, boots, leather jacket (fabric ok too) and some kevlar reinforced jeans.

Remember that anything that has to potential to propel you to 100mph in around 7 seconds can get you into big trouble in a hurry.

Having said that...the most important safety equipment is the gray matter between your ears. I think it is absolutely possible to learn to handle a 600cc bike as long as you are patient and willing to learn by taking baby steps.

You must respect any machine you are riding. I think you'll do fine. You are, after all, asking the right questions and not just going off on impulse. Remember that smooth is fast and smooth requires lots of practice.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Yes. 600's are very easy to ride.

Quick Reply: Am i ready for a 600CC?