CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   ALMOST GOT HIT (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/almost-got-hit-59876/)

AlphaBiker24 02-13-2008 10:39 PM

ALMOST GOT HIT

So i was riding to my aunts house for her birthdaythis pastSundayand im cruising (not speeding)in the left lane on a 2 lane road and out of nowhere some idiot whips his truck into my lane. Islammed on the brakes ALMOST layed her down and gained control....I keep my cool and brushed that one off blaming it on the big blind spots trucks have. Not even 2 minutes later a dude in his riced out honda civic does the same thing! I got pissed after almost laying her down 2 times in 2 minutes and and pulled up next to his car and gave him a peice of my mind....i dont think i have said something that mean in a long time....but anyways i just had to vent and remind people to watch EVERYONE!

thanks for letting me vent....

shoortbuss 02-13-2008 10:49 PM

RE: ALMOST GOT HIT

Ain't the the f***in truth. No matter how safe you may be, there's always some douche out there who completely ignores your presence on the streets. All the more reasons for that HID conversion!

dwschultzy 02-13-2008 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

All the more reasons for that HID conversion!

+1
But I am still very surprised that with the HID's and a loud pipe, people still dont see me. That's why you have to ride like nobody can see you and they are all out to kill you.

redbbwoy 02-14-2008 12:02 AM

lolz^^...."riding like they r out 2 kill me" ill def keep dat in mind! SHORTBUSS-- +1 on da HIDS Conversion too..lol!!
fortunately enuff for me ii havnt been cut off(KNOCKON WOOD); ii mean ii havnt really rode much(800+ miles under my belt) but w/in those 800miles, ive been lucky enuffnot 2 have any near-misses or accidents...

ALPHA--GLAD 2 kno u n da bike made it out those 2 situations safely!!!

to all--ride safe n b careful of other ppl....

RounderNU 02-14-2008 07:24 AM

and they are the reason you carry a large ball bearing :D

sixhundredrr 02-14-2008 07:25 AM

I treat everyone as a threat because they are. I've gotten into the habit of always keeping my brakes, horn, and clutch covered by at least a finger to lower that reaction time.

+2 or whatever to the HID's. My tax return money is going into that seeing as I do a lot of riding when the weather clears.

jfunkRR 02-14-2008 11:19 AM

You have to constantly scan the side of the road for cars coming into your lane...identify what can become an obstacle before it actually does and you'll be better off to deal with it if/when it does. Also, be extremely aware of "golfballs" (it's what my Dad calls old women behind the wheel when all you can see is the perfectly round poof of white hair above the steering wheel). They can't see anything past 5 ft directly in front of the hood.

I also ride with my brights on ALL the time. That goes a long way to helping other drivers see you.

My one close call came last summer, I was coming down the road, the other driver saw me, then proceeded to pull out anyways as I approached. You know how people always wait to cut you off, well that's what happened. I got so close that I was able to kick the back fender of the car as he went by. Not sure how I didn't go down right there or break my leg, and it's something I'll never do again, but it was more of a split second reaction out of anger that this dude should pull out in front of me and potentially risk my bike and life...@$$hole.

Another thing is watch for animals...last summer I also was coming down the road near my house, not too fast but not slow either, and I see two teenage girls on one side of the road, and she's patting her knee and slightly bending over as I'm approaching. Then she sees me, and covers her face and turns away just as a dog comes bolting out into the road from my right side...and I mean it was close...the dog turned back w/i inches of my tire, I looked down and could see the dog's head...that scared me a bit and made me ride very defensively for a while after that. All I could think about was how these young girls would have been scarred for life had I hit her dog, because she would have not only seen her dog die but this guy on a bike get un-seated and possible hospitalization right in front of her...and partially because of her actions.

It's all part of riding though, and it helps to make it so exciting!!

be vertical 02-14-2008 02:17 PM

Unfortunately sh*t like this happens all day long... Personally I blame it on the elderly, but many people do not pay attention while driving. Some guy tried to change lanes into me once, sitting at light and I was still... Ridiculous. I think the picture below should put it in perspective, she is the nemesis of all that moves on two wheels.... (note the damage on the left side light houseing of the car, the whole thing was sideswiped)

[IMG]local://upfiles/19945/361F03ED3F834A119308FB27EB2116F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19945/4575D3E49F7A4223A25A17E977CF35BE.jpg[/IMG]

AlphaBiker24 02-14-2008 10:01 PM

yea +1 to the HIDs...im saving for them and a better jacket right now.....also i like the quote "That's why you have to ride like nobody can see you and they are all out to kill you." Thanks dwschultzy

Also another question...does anyone know how much the laser exhaust is??

Alouder exhaust would definately help....i find myself passing people in a low gear just so the RPMs are high and loud

dwschultzy 02-14-2008 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: AlphaBiker24

Also another question...does anyone know how much the laser exhaust is??

Alouder exhaust would definately help....i find myself passing people in a low gear just so the RPMs are high and loud
Not positive on the Laser, but you can usually find good deals on Ebay. I think you shouldbe able to find a good slip-on in the $350-$450 range. Or keep an eye out for a used one in good condition.
I am personally going to go for a Devil exhaust when I getan RR.