600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 600 miles

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Yeah, i'll get right on that...[sm=smiley24.gif] It's pretty closed minded of you to say that if you see a Mobil, or Pennzoil, or the afore mentioned Amsoil logo on a testing company's website that the whole testing is biased and is therefore invalid. You've made up you mind and wont change it, so i'm not even going to try. You'll fault it anywhere. You're just too convinced that there is no difference.
I'm not closed minded at all; in fact, I mentioned if you want to waste your money because an oil company say their oil is the most protective thing to hit the planet, go for it, but a lot of people base their opinions on people like you who make bold statements and don't have any way to back it up other than major oil company hype. Synth may protect better , but the parameters they were based on are extremes that yours or my CBR will never see, in fact the extremes that dino oil can take are beyond that point too. My point is if you change your oil at the recommended intervals, with whatever oil you feel is the best will protect your engine...not whether it's synth or not...just that you change your freakin' oil! Explain to me how "use whatever oil you want, but don't believe the hype" is closed minded?

Close minded is someone who writes:

"What you will have however, is better protective oil and in a machine capable of 15,000 RPMs (3000 short of F1 cars) the more protection you can get, the better."

You know what oil they put in F1 cars...whatever oil their sponsor wants them to [&:]

I offered a real world example of a rider who has a track and street ridden CBR with over 120,000 miles on it and never had a drop of synthetic oil in it...all he did was routine maintenance and change the oil...what more do you need?

Old 09-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Fret, F1 teams don't put in whatever oil their sponsor tells them too, they put the decal on the car where their sponsor tells them too. that would be god damn foolish to base a million dollar engine off what your sponsor says to use, regardless of requirements. that shows a certain lack of understanding. F1 might use oil that has the viscosity of water, but it's synthetic. it needs to be. The surface tension of today's syntheitc oil protects against metal to metal contact better that conventional, and it doesn't evaporate nearly as much as dyno oils do for starters.

i'm all for an oil analysis shootout fret. I'm getting mine tested soon, are you up for it? I invite others to join in as well. the more diverse, the better.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:53 PM

i'm all for an oil analysis shootout fret. I'm getting mine tested soon, are you up for it? I invite others to join in as well. the more diverse, the better.
Have at it...spend all your free time and money testing every brand of oil you want, but it's not that important to me...my main point is and I repeat..."don't believe the hype." All you're shouting right now slugger is hype to me and our bikes will never reach or be on the same planet as an F1 car so do you have anything else to say about apples, while we're talking about oranges?

Honda recommends "Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybdenum additives), 4-stroke oil or Honda 4-stroke oil or an equivalent motor oil viscosity SAE 10W-40..." They don't recommend using exclusively synthetic oil because your engine will blow up...why is that? If synth is so supremely good wouldn't Honda, the company who is known for making reliable motorcycles recommend putting nothing but synth in their products?

Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM

So down with Motul3000 eh? must be a **** oil because Honda doesn't recommend it... Same goes for Repsol, and Castrol, and Rotella, and Delvac... all **** because honda doesn't recommend them.

right fret?

Old 09-23-2006, 05:29 PM

You guys are funny!

Old 09-23-2006, 06:16 PM

So down with Motul3000 eh? must be a **** oil because Honda doesn't recommend it... Same goes for Repsol, and Castrol, and Rotella, and Delvac... all **** because honda doesn't recommend them.

right fret?
Dude...you're so Hell bent on having a oil debate that you're missing my point entirely! The oil I wrote is quoted from the Honda CBR600rr service manual and I'm not saying any oil is "****," so whatever brands your bringing up is something you would have to discuss with the Honda reps. themselves...I would guess that as long as those oils are the recommended weight and viscosity and moly free, they would be great.

Synth is fine...dino is fine...both can handle anything our modest street machines can throw at them...change your oil every 3000 miles with whatever "****" oil you want and the bike will last forever.

IT'S THE OIL CHANGE THAT COUNTS...NOT THE OIL!!!

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM

If you have a wet clutch, you should never use synthetic oil. The additives are not good for the clutch plates. The Honda GN4 is the best oil for your motorcycle. With regular changes, this oil is just fine.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 PM

yeah, ok arkansashog, sure thing...

You want to avoid energy conserving oils, not synthetics. your information is false.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:47 PM

the only additive that really destroys clutches is moly
and repsol synthetic has less moly than plain jane honda gp4

done believe me
check this site
this guy sent samples to an independant tester to be checked

look under the heading for oil analysis
http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...frameindex.htm

bottom line

have your oil tested
if the test comes back good then you could have left it in longer
if it comes back bad then you should have changed it sooner

Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 AM

yeah, ok arkansashog, sure thing...

You want to avoid energy conserving oils, not synthetics. your information is false.

Hey buddy just because you read the manual doesnt make you an expert. Good friend of mine is a motorcycle mechanic, he says NO synthetic oils and with some research you will find what I say is true. That is if yours has a wet clutch!

Quick Reply: 600 miles