600 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 600 mile service

Do it yourself. I actually posted a thread about this awhile back.

I did everything, checked the throttle, idle, clutch, changed the oil and oil filter and lubed the chain.

My stealership wanted to charge me $157 for the initial service. I just did the second oil change and it took me half the time as the first.

My 2 cents.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 PM

But don't the warranty avoid if you don't service it at a predefined interval? I must service it at every 3100 mile interval to maintain my dealer warranty, which secures me against manufacturer defects, such as if I was driving and my wheels snapped off, crashed and burnt, I will be able to sue them and they'll have nothing to hold against me. Is there such warranty in the US? Or unless you got yours second hand and it's already passed the warranty margin of either time or distance, then maybe yeah you could think of saving some cash, thats why you got a second hand after all.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 PM

to save cash is not exactly the reason some of us bought second hand bikes....although its probably a huge part of why most people did. if your wheel snaps off and you crash...i'm sure sueing is not the biggest of your worries. however that is a good question you raise ashsammy.

if you do your own servicing...does that infact VOID your warranty? i mean...unless they give you the service free and say if you don't service it with us then your warranty is void...i can't see how they would MAKE you bring it in for service for warranty issues if they charge you for it. b/c if something were to happen, they are able to tell how old your oil is...if the chain's been maintained....etc.....if infact something goes wrong anyhow, so they can see that maintaince has been done on the bike...now if it was done correctly is another story......but thats besides the point.

for example: if you buy a brand new tv... and the manufacture says that you have to bring it into a service center every 50 hour interval the tv is on, or else if something goes wrong with the tv then the warranty is no good. and they charge you $100 each time you bring it in and all they do is open it up...screw in a new bulb or whatever...look at it...and dust it off. something you could easily do on your own, but if you do it yourself it voids your warranty.

i know the analogy is not perfect...but the only thing i could think up of at the moment. could someone shed some light on the situation please

Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM

One suggestion would be to go ahead and take it to the dealer and ask them questions about the aspects that you are not familiar with and to pick up on this and that from the dealer and a knowledgeable resource (the service department) and talk with the tech face to face. Then when your knowledge agrees with your comfort level, try doing some of the routine maintanence yourself.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM

the manual makes no mention of voiding the warranty, it only suggests that certian things be done at the dealership. I would say NO WAY on voiding the warranty. If they said it was, show them the manual.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:41 PM

honda japan has put no legitimacy in the manual to decide the warranty status provided by the dealer. With the manual under the seat, I was handed the warranty booklet which the manual has no mention of. This is in Dubai, not sure ow is it like in the US though.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:29 PM

http://powersports.honda.com/help/fa...ection+Plans#2

try this- still not too clear.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM

If you save all your receipts and keep a record/log of the maintenance, your warranty will be fine. IF it makes you feel good to have a dealer change your oil, grease a chain, and look at bolts--doubt they do all the things they say they will--more power to you. On the other hand, I am cheap, have tools, and own a service manual. No way I am going to pay $100 + for an oil change, which only costs like $30 in quality, honda parts.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 PM

Jay's right. Warranty's are not voided by doing routine servicing yourself. If you look at the owner's manual, it has 2 ** by those items that are "recommended" to be done by Honda service center. Those items are much more technical & generally require special tools, etc.

Just keep all your receipts. Record dates, mileages, and all pertinent facts in the logbook section. You're good to go. If you're really paranoid, you could even take digital photos of work with date stamps & a shot of the odometer, etc., and keep a log of this as well on a CD.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Here it is folks, page 231 of the 2006 CBR600RR manual. "Your warranty coverage will not be voided if you chose to perform your own maintenance. However, you should have the proper tools and service information and be mechanically qualified. Failures that occur due directly to improper maintenance are not covered."

Quick Reply: 600 mile service