Crank but no start - CBR600RR 2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank but no start - CBR600RR 2008

Hey guys, have been searching but haven't found my issue.

Bike was running fine (with clicking sound in front, but I think one of my headers was loose - not the issue I don't think) but was leaking oil from a crack in right side clutch cover. Ordered new one and replaced the cover, refilled with oil. As I replaced, the idler cog and another below it fell out, I just replaced (with both wave washer and other in correct order) linking the three cogs on the right together. I now go to start the bike, fuel pump starts up, lights good, dash good but there is a weird sound coming from the rear of the engine (sounds like an old mosquito lamp electric sound but much faster). I start up and it cranks but doesn't start. After a few try-starts, Fi light comes on.

I think it might be the cam position sensor? But it was running perfectly fine before I replaced the case, and the wiring looks fine. Any ideas?

Battery good.
Gas good.
Fuel pump primes.
Cranks.
Bank sensor is bypassed.
Bike is in neutral, KS down, 'killswitch' is set to start.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 PM

One other thing - as I was replacing the idle and starter cogs, I had to turn the crankshaft maybe one tooth counter-clockwise to fit all the cogs together. Would this be a huge deal -- causing enough slack for the starter to be screwed up / maybe cog can't spin? I'm sort of tempted to try and push start the bike to tighten the slack and turn crankshaft clockwise to start up, but would this cause damage to the engine? Also, that clicking/electric noise I'm thinking is the starter now.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi what codes have you got, CKP should show 19 if faulty , as that is the only connector around that location , recheck that connector is good:0

Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 AM

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q43...ature=youtu.be

Turned key on, off, on, started
Connector seems to be good, pretty impossible to install in the wrong way. Possibly bad wiring connection?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TenzeT
One other thing - as I was replacing the idle and starter cogs, I had to turn the crankshaft maybe one tooth counter-clockwise to fit all the cogs together. Would this be a huge deal -- causing enough slack for the starter to be screwed up / maybe cog can't spin? I'm sort of tempted to try and push start the bike to tighten the slack and turn crankshaft clockwise to start up, but would this cause damage to the engine? Also, that clicking/electric noise I'm thinking is the starter now.
The sprag clutch starter will only catch one way, try putting the bike in gear (3rd or 4th) and rocking BACK and forward.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:24 AM

Put in fourth gear, rolled BACK then forward. When I rolled it back, it sounded like one of the gears was touching the right clutch cover wall, I could hear it turning ... must be out of place. Unless it's normal to hear when bike is off, in gear and moving backward. I want to be sure about this - the starter gear, idler gear and crank shaft should all be interlocking when I install, correct? That's how it was on this install but maybe one fell out of place or something ..

Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried starting it again

Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM

Yes, still no start. Same sound is made (from video) when I turn the key to on.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It was running fine, you replaced the cover, and now it won't start and makes a noise.

Take it back apart. Something in there is not right.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:03 PM

Opened it up, checked sensor. Checked gears. Look alright to me? Notice anything weird? *Photos*

IMG_2266_2.jpg Photo by tjsocca | Photobucket
IMG_2265_2.jpg Photo by tjsocca | Photobucket
IMG_2264.jpg Photo by tjsocca | Photobucket

Quick Reply: Crank but no start - CBR600RR 2008