2005 600RR Steering - Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default 2005 600RR Steering - Opinions wanted

I own 2 600 F3's. Many years of riding experience, and thousands of miles on the F3's. I rode a '05 600RR for the first time yesterday. One thing that I noticed is that the steering seemed to be extreemly heavy as soon as I would start to initiate a turn. What I mean by heavy was that the handle bars wanted to turn much more rapidly into the turn that I needed for the given turn. On my F3's the steering is incredibly neutral. Going into a turn or coming out, minimal input is necessary to make a turn. On this RR, I have to put a large amount of back tension or force into the handlebars in order to keep it from turning too sharply.

Those of you that have these bikes, is this normal ? Do you find the steering to be neutral when riding ? I only rode it around the block a few times, so not many miles. From what I can see it is all stock except for a slipon. The bikehas only 4400 miles. Tires are in ok, but not perfect condition, probaby originals. I don't believe it's been lowered and the forks appear to be in the original place (not moved in the tripple tree clamps). Just looking for some feedback, it's not my bike, so no issue either way. If you don't think this is normal, what thoughts do you have on what might cause this type of feedback.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 600RR Steering - Opinions wanted

The RR's steering is heavier, releative to the previous generations of F bikes. IMO This is a combination of the geometry, more forward weight bais, and crappy stock tires. If you start looking at the geometry of the 03-06 RR's you'll find it comes from the factory with a very "stable" setup. At low (legal)speeds this really shows through and gives the impression of slow or hard turning. But at race track speedsit's very confidence inspiring, but still a bit on the heavy side.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Problem solved though. I went back today. We were going to have the dealer look at it because I wasn't just talking about slight differences in turning forces, it was more like it was going to make a hard turn and the bars would try to hit the tank.

Well, before goingto the dealer,I brought my tire gage with me to check the pressure ( I didn't have it before). I asked him (inexperienced rider/owner)today if he had checked the tire pressure. Not in a year and a half. My jaw almost hit the floor. It had 12psi in the front and 20 in the rear. I gave him my gage, sent him to the gas station and had him put the correct pressures in it. He came back and he thought he had a new bike. It was completely different (duhhh !!). I then took it for a ride and OMG what a difference !!! Now I understand what the magazines are talking about when they discuss this bike, it was truely amazing. I didn't want to get off.

Jason478, you're right that it's not as smoothe and effortless in it's turning within relatively legal (sortof) speeds as my F3's, but very nice. It lays over in corners with minimal effort, not much back pressure to hold it there, then rolls out nicely. What a much different experience than yesterday.

Thanks all who at least read and thought about replying, and Jason for actually doing so.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree that the steering on the 05-06 600RR's feel heavy compared to the 07-08 600RR's. They feel lighter on their feet than the 05-06 models. But I do like how the 05-06 models felt very stable and planted on the track. I have yet to ride an 07-08 on the track.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: idodirt
My jaw almost hit the floor. It had 12psi in the front and 20 in the rear. I gave him my gage, sent him to the gas station and had him put the correct pressures in it. He came back and he thought he had a new bike. It was completely different (duhhh !!). I then took it for a ride and OMG what a difference !!! Now I understand what the magazines are talking about when they discuss this bike, it was truely amazing. I didn't want to get off.
[sm=insomnia.gif] That would do it!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM

That happened to me when I rodemy brother's friend'sSV650. I took a short ride around the block and then quickly parked it and handed him the keys. I told him I hated the way it handled.I later found out that he doesn't change the oil until it gets harder to shift, and he couldn't remember the last time he checked the air in the tires. Some people don't take care ofthings.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM

i would have replied to this forum post but my inexperience wouldnt help the matter...i have owned an 86 honda shadow, 92 ninja500(the steering is phenomenal on btw)and this 05600rr...i did however just get a new pp2ct rear tire and wow they aired my tires to the recommended 42 instead of the 34 i had in them and u talk bout a totally different bike...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: iroc

i would have replied to this forum post but my inexperience wouldnt help the matter...i have owned an 86 honda shadow, 92 ninja500(the steering is phenomenal on btw)and this 05600rr...i did however just get a new pp2ct rear tire and wow they aired my tires to the recommended 42 onstead of the 34 i had in them and u talk bout a totally different bike...
Just curious, where did you get the recommendation of 42psi? I hope it wasn't the sidewall of the tire. I don't know of any modern street bike tire that recommends that high a normal running pressure. 34psi is closer, and some might suggest even a few psi lower. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: grazi

ORIGINAL: iroc

i would have replied to this forum post but my inexperience wouldnt help the matter...i have owned an 86 honda shadow, 92 ninja500(the steering is phenomenal on btw)and this 05600rr...i did however just get a new pp2ct rear tire and wow they aired my tires to the recommended 42 onstead of the 34 i had in them and u talk bout a totally different bike...
Just curious, where did you get the recommendation of 42psi? I hope it wasn't the sidewall of the tire. I don't know of any modern street bike tire that recommends that high a normal running pressure. 34psi is closer, and some might suggest even a few psi lower. Just my 2 cents.
after readin this i thought i should state this the tire pressure in the tire is b/c the honda deal told me they are required to air a tire to max pressure whan they mount a tire....after reading that post i decided to check the tire myself and see whats up..,its does state 42psi...(if the weight on the tire is equal to or exceeds 805lbs....) well im not even close to that so im gonna do a lil deflating and see if it helps the ride a touch.....