2003 600RR, buying one used

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 600RR, buying one used

So i totaled my F4i, and am looking at a '03 600rr. the bike has 10K miles, has benn down once, but damage is only cosmeticto themiddle faring(the handle bar ends and leversarent even dinged up)

so im wondering what things i need to worry about on these bikes, are there parts that normaly go south soon?

the chain looks almost new, and the bike is cleaner then mine ever was, plenty of brakes left, and there is no oil sepage on the front forks, bike idles awsome. clutch feels like it may have to much slack, but that could just be the engine side ajustment.

ill be taking hte bike for a test ride when i have cash in hand, so i can look for other problems then.

other then the bike, if the bikes title is being held by a bank, not in the same city(same state) whats the best route for paying the guy, and also getting the title, so that no one gets screwed?

only down side is the gear that comes wiht the bike is to big, and ill be reselling, and also the thing is black, so ill be adding some very bright shiney vynl to it! like orange flames!!

thanks for any input guys!!!

-levi

Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2003 600RR, buying one used

the 03 is an awesome bike, thats the bike i started out on and i loved it, had no problems what so ever with it. I've always bought my second hand bike or cars with a bank draft. make sure the guy gives youa reciept for it. Usually you can ask him for a reciept that says you payed less then you actually did, that way when you go to pay taxes on it, your paying on the lesser ammount. Depending on how low he goes, as long as its reasonable, you can save hundreds on taxes. (maybe its different in your state, but here in ontario i've done it with all my purchases) why is the bank holding the title/ownership??? I'd go get a check done first of all and make sure the bank doesnt have a lein on it, if it does and you bought it, your screwed...
if you already owned a bike you should already be aware of what to look for, for the most part i would think.. check the tires out for flat spots or alot of wear , if they are gonna need replaced maybe you could knock him down in price a couple hundred.
Depending on what gear comes with it, i might be interested in buying it from you, im always looking for new threads.!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 AM

to save all of the headaches get a used 07RR if you have the money. Dont buy the first thing you see look around save up some extra money and buy something in mint condition low miles never been dropped. I dont care what anyone says once a bike has been dropped it will never be the same. Layed down on grass is a different story lol. To be honest him not having the title is an extra step and not worth going through the process if your impatient like me. I have the money right now so why cant i have the title right now is how i see it. To each is own good luck in your choice.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

The only problem with claiming less on the receipt is for insurance purposes,. If it gets stolen/wrote off, the insurance company ( if you have such coverage) will look at the receipt and give you a percentage of that, 100% or whatever, so if you 'claimed' the bike cost 300 bucks, so you pay f-all on taxes, and you get it stolen, then you'll get a 10 dollar bill and a tap on the butt, while the adjuster yells 'NEXT PLEASE'.

If the dude who has the bike doesnt have the title...look for another bike...that smells loke bad juju...when you find a bike you like...spend 100 bucks and get a pro to do an inspection. Dont rely on us..we may know..but its your ****. I don't claim to be responsible for anyone else's ****..mine stinks enough.

Lots of time to ride..if your impatient and get something now now now and it sucks..then your screwed screwed screwed...Dude I know doesn't have his license, rode maybe 3 times, took out a loan, went to the dealership, , bought a GXR1k, totalled it in 1 week. Smart.