2 day, 800 mile trip to save 1K?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 day, 800 mile trip to save 1K?

Ok, here's the deal. I just got back from my tour, and amready to get my bike (financing etc...) However My local shop doesnt have any 600RRs in stock anymore. My salesman Joey has been SUPER cool though, I've been harassing him for the last 6 months (even while I was down in Iraq) and I'd really like to give him the sale. (Town & Country Motorsports in Warner Robins, GA,are GREAT. Idon't think I'll go anywhere else locally; there is another shop nearby, but they tend to sell expensive, and I didn't like their vibe when I was looking for info)

I found Southern Motorsports (in southern Tenesee) Is offering the 07s for 7900, (plus tax tag and title) but it is a 400 mile drive one way there.
Joey tells me thet he can match their price on the 1000RR (9K) with the ones he has in stock on the dealership (he's got Gray, Red, and Black), but that since he would have to look for the (White) one thet I want 600 from another dealer, he cannot go lower than MSRP on those, making the price on a 600, basically the same as the priceas a 1000.

So, Should I see if I can get Joey to go further down on the 600, and how much should I expect him to be able to go (he already told me flat out that I should take Tenesee's deal, cause he couldn't match it, But the long drive kind of intimidates me, since I've heard stories of people getting jerked arround on those deals)
Or should I Just gofor the LitreBike?
(Money is not really an issue I could afford either one, but I really like the 600 better, plus I havent ridden in 8 years, so the 1000 intimidates me a little)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Default RE: 2 day, 800 mile trip to save 1K?

well .. as far as the 1k goes .. i'd say not todo it . the new 08's come out and this is there year for the redo .. soooo i would be make if i bought a 07 and then few months later they have the 08's that are bigger and better . i'd say go to TN and see what they will do .. just rember .. there gonna charge you for Tax title and stuff there .. and then when you go back home your gonna have to pay for registration yet again . or at least i think thats how it works .. and besides .. just think .. by the time you get the 600 back to where you live you will only have another 200 miles to go to have you have your bike broke in

Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 AM

wut ever you do, do not buy the 1k if you havent riddin b4.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Get the 600. You'll be more than happy with the power and agility. Anyways, you should see if your buddy at the dealership gets any more of them. My local dealer gets approx 15 or so every two weeks (unsubstantiated salesman claim). Maybe he just needs to pull a few strings and get you one in. I always like to give my business to those who are local and the most helpful. Support your local business if you can.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM

He might not be able to match the price but he should be able to come pretty close seeing how the '08s are right around the corner. If he's been helpful I would stay local and just keep working him on the price til you get a happy number. I've seen anywhere from 8,400 - 10K OTD for the '07600rrs. And I'm thinking he should be able to come really close to that first number. And like most are saying ... don't go with the Liter bike if you haven't ridden in a while. You'll be pleasantly surprised by this 600

Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM

I bought my bike from Pennsylvania and put it in the minivan because I still didn't have my M endorsement, only my learner's. Make absolutely sure you have financing lined up beforehand a bill of sale from the dealer including freight and delivery charges (what the warehouse charges the dealer to put the bike together from the factory and deliver it to the dealer). Some dealerships (like the one I bought from) can file your state's property tax for you without charging their state's tax. They'll tell you a bunch of BS so they can get you in the door, get everything signed by a manager before you spend your time and money going up to TN. BTW, why would you take two days to make a 12 hour trip? Are you planning on having someone else drive your car back for you? You're probably going to spend $200-300 on gas depending how you plan to get it home, so if the dealer changes something, be prepared to walk away.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 PM

That's why I 'm a little leary of making the trip... I'd probably rent a U-Haul, (or a pick up truck) to go pick up the bike,I just have acoupe and a station wagon, so I can't haul on my own cars, and riding the bike back would beretarded in my case. (back when I used to ride it was in PR, where your regular drivers licence was good to ride as well, they didn't have a separate M category until last year) so I'm still working on adding the endorsement to my current FL licence- wouldn't really want to take a brand new bike on the freeway, specially when I havent ridden in so long.
I also want to make the whole thing a family outing, instead of doing a one day suicide run to pick her up.
I'm thinking if I go that route, I'll leave on a Friday afternoon, (as soon as my Daughter get's home from school) and then spend the night in a hotel. That way we can be at the Dealership early Saturday morning, take delivery of the bike, have time to inspect her, and strap her down on the U-Haul, and return home that afternoon, (I'm calculating a 4 hour drive each way, to account for traffic, food, and Potty breaks, (I'd be traveling with the Wife, and 2 young kids)

I'm still trying to calculate how much would I be spending on gas, truck rental, and one night stay in a Hotel (Motel?), to see if the price difference is even worth it.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Sound like you should stay local. Just stay on the salesman he will more than likely work with you, but if money is not a problem maybe you should wait for the 08 to come out.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Well, I've got my heart set on white, and white is not a 08 color...
Although that Grafitti black Looks very nice, It's not a question of wether or not I can afford it, but of how much am I willing to pay/ how much agravation should I bestow upon myself just to get a better deal.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Give the sale to the guy who helped you the most. It'll help you in the future for service and trade in.

Quick Reply: 2 day, 800 mile trip to save 1K?