1st bike... not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st bike... not what you think

1978 honda cb750 a 76 or so horsepower, 500 some odd pound baby elephant of a bike. though not technically mine (dads), i did put 2k miles on it, it was the first street bike ive ever ridden. oh and i did lay it down btw, when i was about 15, lol. that bike sure is sweet though, its been called the birth of the modern sportbike, and has a huge cult following, even in some racing cicrles

just put some headers and a new exhaust, and rejetted it, sounds mean!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:15 PM

My first bike of my own not including dirt bikes was a CSR 250. Then I bought an 88 600 Hurricane, had that for many miles, then a 99 900RR had for 20K+ miles and now an 02 GSX-R 1000.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:21 AM

i started riding on a suzuki endro...1983? if you start out on the raod right away i think you do not learn all the elements of riding. After practicing on the endro i got a 01 f4i and i loved it. it sits upright rather than the rr and other bikes. but for the most part it was an easy bike to handle i thought....but i have been fourwheeling and snowmobiling and dirtbiking all my life. for a person to just hop on and ride an f4i.....i would be alittle worried. good subject!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 AM

I got my first street bike (05' 600RR) last year when I was 19 years old...just couldn't resist anymore. There was no other choice for me, that was going to be my first bike. I've had a lot of MotoX experience, and although it may not have been the best choice for a first bike, I wouldn't trade my RR for any other bike. Sure it took a lot of getting used to, and after only a year and a half of riding on the road I'm not going to pretend like I'm a pro and know it all, but I can hold my own. If you've got a level head and are aware that the bike your riding is much more capable than you are, you're off to a good start.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Munson

Whenever there's a discussion of what's a good first bike, it always deals with whether a new rider can safely handle a sport bike.

But there's also the matter of how well you develop as a rider. I think that with a less powerful bike, you need to ride well to go fast - you have to learn how to pick a line that lets you carry your speed through a turn, get on the throttle early out of turns, etc. You can't be sloppy and just rely on the bike's power, but you can also push against your own limits as a rider more without getting in too far over your head. It's too easy to fall into bad habits with a bike that's so powerful it can mask poor riding or inhibit good riding.

well said.

being 20 years old and not having any money to buy my own bike, my dad said i could ride his if i got a license. i knew how to drive a manual trans car, and ive ridden quads once or twice and a dirt bike once; so starting off on the old 250 and 500 cc cruisers at the riding course wasnt difficult at all. but that was only two days of practice. for about a year i rode my dad's 1989 suzuki gsx-1100 katana. for those of you who don't know what that looks like, its a sport tourer that has a banana seat, relaxed riding position, and a screen thats electronically adjustable... good for about 4-6 inches. yes, it was heavy. not only that, but i was told those bikes had a tendency to give out fairly quickly in the front fork (or front shocks area, whatever you call that) area, which was obvious at any degree exept minor turning not involving much leaning. so i learned quickly of countersteering. it was quick, but for an 1100... no. it was old, and sat around alot. the carbs needed to be rejetted. it would stagger at higher rpm under full throttle. sometimes comming to a stop, it would turn off, so i needed to keep it revving.
I didn't ride any other kind of motorcycle until i got my 600rr in august of last year, so you can imagine my surprize when i got on the highway on the way home, and wind was BLASTING my chest and head! Holy crap! where is my adjustable windscreen!?! i quickly got used to it, but my non motorcycle leather jacket didn't. it would slap my shoulders at highway speeds, and if i bent over, the back of the jacket would slap my back. so i got a motorcycle jacket........and a sport touring windscreen from Zero Gravity. ...... so, that's the story of my first bike.....and the transition to the cbr.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:42 PM

First bike was a KTM 250 , now that bike was fast, it still is, it was a 87 or so but that bike had *****. Then to my first road bike the F4. Next bike is going to be a 600RR then a 1000RR.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:54 PM

My first bike was my 600RR, and I loved it and still do! I don't think anyone would claim that a 600RR is a beginner bike; everyone knows they aren't exactly ideal for that purpose! But, perhaps because I'm a girl, I don't have this thirst for speed that everyone keeps talking about. I pretty much kept it at 25mph or under for the first month I had it. But now I'm taking those long, winding highways outside the city like a champ, cruising the streets, and really enjoying it!

Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 AM

I feel like the old fart on the block.My first bike was a 73 Kawasaki 750 H2 three cylinder two stroke. Fast for its day they suffered from high speed wobble. I found out first hand cost me 6 weeks as mummy man.Smarter now (just a little) wont ride without leathers now.Wear your gear guys because You never know. Being Invincable is just a state of mind.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM

My first bike was a 1994 CBR 600 F2. it belong to my friends dad, he had wrecked it in 95 and hasent been ridden for 7 years...well he went to jail and he knew i rode so he told me if i wanted to get in fixed and teach his son(my friend) to ride it in return i could keep it until he gets out (2 years)...so i took it and tought is his to ride and i gained experince...

I also took the MC safety classes, i fell once doing the figfure 8, S&$t was hard due the fact it was to dam small. then i feel again with the F2 in a alley, cause I had my girlfriend in the back and when i made the turn into the alley she squiched my side and im ticklish so then i flinshed and there we go, good thing i was going slow but i think is becase the gravel that made the wheel turn more than what i made it turn...those are the only times i fallen...i had a close call in my 600RR this year i was breaking with the rear break(trying to get more prectice with rear) and the payment was wet to it started to slip but i made it ok...

FUNNY thing when i went to get the bike to get in fixed, the mechanic took off the body kid and 2 folded one dollers bills fell out and he open them up and SURPRICE [sm=jawdrop.gif](if you dont know what a folded doller is...it is used to carry drugs(cocaine)}...good thing he didnt know all he said is "this dollers are old)...i was happy he didnt know what it was....and YES my friends dad went to jail for drug traffic...[sm=badbadbad.gif]....

Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

97 cbr 600 f3