08 cbr600rr instrument cluster fault (UK bike)

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 cbr600rr instrument cluster fault (UK bike)

Hi, i was recently riding home when i noticed my instrument cluster kept resetting (goes blank, rev needle acting like when you turn bike on, clock reset etc), but the bike seems to be running fine. Got home, still doing it, so i tried to find any shorting wires, pinched wires etc, couldn't see any obvious ones.
​​​​​​Took instrument cluster off and heard something rattling around,. Opened it up to find a small piece of wire, similar size to a staple. I've opened up the whole cluster and removed the digital readout parts to view the whole of the motherboard, front and back, and can't see anywhere it could've come from. There's also a bit of solder on the pin connector part but that must always have been there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files
Old Today, 03:54 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Second photo, CL262, right-hand connection - could you check it visually 'cos it looks bad on the photo.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Harris
Second photo, CL262, right-hand connection - could you check it visually 'cos it looks bad on the photo.
Not sure what it's meant to look like, looks just like CL261 to me, sent a picture but says it needs a mod to accept it i think

Old Today, 04:55 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Caedo
Not sure what it's meant to look like, looks just like CL261 to me, sent a picture but says it needs a mod to accept it i think
No, it would be fairly obvious. The photo looks as though the right-hand wire has fractured and no longer connects to the circuit board. If this is not the case then no idea.

Old Today, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Harris
No, it would be fairly obvious. The photo looks as though the right-hand wire has fractured and no longer connects to the circuit board. If this is not the case then no idea.
Ah, the resistor? No, it's connected, just looks bad cos of the shadow. The problem might not even be the cluster, but with the wire floating around inside, I can't see how it could've got in there without snapping from somewhere. Just can't find it