07 CBR Overheating @ 278F

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 CBR Overheating @ 278F

Yeah I know pretty hot huh? I was at the track and wasn't paying attention until I pulled into pits. Temp guage was flashing @ 278. The bike had distilled water and water wetters in it. I pulled the Tstat at the track and clipped the guts out and put the gasket part of the Tstat back in letting it flow on its own. As long as I was going over 100 its fine, but when I slow down... the bike heats up and cooling fan doesn't kick on, and the temp guage jumps around a lot... showing 213... then 185... then 236... then 216... then 265... then 235.... etc... just fluxuating each 3 second refresh time. So neither the temp guage is working correctly... nor the fan is kicking on. So I unplugged the fan and tested it with 12volts... works fine. I unplug the ECT Sensor and the fan kicks on instantly... even if the bike is at 160 degrees. So apparently the ECT Sensor defaults to turn the fan on when its not attached. So, I replaced the ECT Sensor and put a new Tstat in, as well as put Engine Ice in. Bike is still doing the same thing... Fan kicks on sometimes... maybe 1 of ever 10 times I let the bike warm up. Its still getting up to 255-260ish before I shut the bike off... and still fluxuating the temp guage a lot. Below is a list of what I said above but in a list to simplify things... anyone have any ideas?

-2007 CBR600RR Track Bike... 462 Miles ( Has been crashed once, but nothing related to cooling damaged or touched )
-Everything worked properly after the crash for 1/2 a track day.
-Bike heats to 260+ degrees
-Have replaced ECT Sensor, Tstat, Coolant, & and Guage Cluster ( Guages was from crash )
-Does the same thing with both Guages, ECT Sensors, and Both open Tstat and normal Tstat.
-Coolant is flowing with cap off.
-Fan works when ECT sensor is unplugged no matter what temp is ( Defaults to turn fan on??? )
-Fan works with 12volts applied.

I donno... I've worked on bikes all my life and delt with a lot of crazy problems and I'm lost. Just know I got to get it fixed by the end of April to go to track. Any idea's?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Default RE: 07 CBR Overheating @ 278F

Well provided theres no air pockets in the coolant then it sounds like a wire might be clipped somewhere. Id start with that since its free. Check all the wires to the ECT, the gauges etc. Anything related to cooling.

Hopefully these were all replaced with new parts and not used because then its just like starting all over. If the fan doesnt kick on then the fan could be bad as well.

This seems like an electrical problem if the temp gauge is fluctuating like crazy. Possibly a ground wire or a wire going from the ect to the gauge or wtv it reads it from. Id run the bike and let it get up to temperature. Make sure the fan kicks on if it doesnt id get that fixed and find out why it doesnt work. Feel the radiator hoses and see if there actually getting that hot, if there not then its wiring if it is then you have a coolant problem. If it has power AND ground and doesnt work needs to be replaced. To test for ground you hook up a test light to the positive side then touch ground and it should light up. If it doesnt a ground is ****ed up somewhere. If the coolant is actually getting that hot and the fan isnt coming on then dont let the bike get any hotter and shut it off. You could actually do some real harm getting it that hot.

Im basing most of this on working on cars so idk. Could it be a posibility that you fell on the water pump side and its just not circulating coolant anywhere? Thats another coolant thing to replace. I mean you cant go around replacing every coolant piece with new ones and then its still ****ed up and ends up being electrical.

Let me know how it works out or if you find something. If all else fails could be the computer acting up you could try and swap it with someone.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM

did you check the fans connetions? are they secure and test the wiring with a 12v batt.
it could be just poory connected.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 PM

let me apologize in advice for replying with useless information...but ii feel a NEED to add my 2cent and say this!

I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS!!

ok...

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM

Wow dude sounds like you and I had the same track day , I lost the bleeder bolt on the block and had no indication that I had lost most of my coolant on the track , my 08 shut off at about 235ish while pulling into the pits

Then while it was not running I turned on the key to see what the temp was at ant it hit around 250ish
I think I lucked out filled her back up with water after finding a new bolt and road her home
Everything seems to be fine now but imma gonna do a compression check just to be sure