05 RPM Needle doesn't move.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 RPM Needle doesn't move.

I have an old set of gauges from my first crash... it was a nice low speed flip that smashed the upper bracket and fairingto pieces, andcracked uptheold gauges.

Anyways...
The gaugecluster seems to work as far as speed and trip, and light up.BUT the only thing that doesn't work on them is the tach needle. The needle doesn't sweep when you turn on power. It doesn't move at all when the bike is started... nothing.

I've switched out the gauge cluster, and lighting/gauge wiring harnessfor a new ones andeverything hasworked fine. But I'd like to fix the needle on the old gauges.

Any ideas on a fix or how to get started?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Default RE: 05 RPM Needle doesn't move.

my r6 had that same problem.....you might take it to a computer repair shop and see if they can test it and see wats up....other than that idk.....i just replaced my whole speedo cluster......

ORIGINAL: tenjio

I have an old set of gauges from my first crash... it was a nice low speed flip that smashed the upper bracket and fairing to pieces, and cracked up the old gauges.

Anyways...
The gauge cluster seems to work as far as speed and trip, and light up. BUT the only thing that doesn't work on them is the tach needle. The needle doesn't sweep when you turn on power. It doesn't move at all when the bike is started... nothing.

I've switched out the gauge cluster, and lighting/gauge wiring harness for a new ones and everything has worked fine. But I'd like to fix the needle on the old gauges.

Any ideas on a fix or how to get started?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 AM

make sure all the wiring is good
when i cut out all of the unnecessary wiring for my track bike the green ground wire going to the dash was cut out because it also hooked to the turn signals and i had the exact same problem
i had to splice in another ground to get it to work

Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM

I'm pretty positve the problem is inside the gauges rather than the wiring. The new gauges and wiringwork flawlessly. But when the old gauges are plugged in the RPM needle still doesn't move when hooked up with all the new hardware.

I'll test it out with some of the equip at school... any other ideas?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 AM

I just had the same problem and it was my ECM. It took the dealership a while to figure it out too. Luckily mine was still under warranty.