03 CBR wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 CBR wont start

Ok I recked my CBR 600RR but it started right back up when I picked it up off the road but than the next day when I'm replacing the fairings on itall it would do is turn over but would not start.......what is the deal?? could the gravity switch be messed up? it's hooked up...

Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 03 CBR wont start

Does the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key on? You should hear a whining noise form the tank area when the key is turned. If not, you've blown a fuse or the BAS is the source of the problem.

Since you're messing with the fairings after a wreck, check the fuses under the left-hand mid fairing. While you're there, look for broken wires or wires with damaged insulation that may have shorted out.

There are also fuses under the seat next to the battery - these are a long shot since the engine cranks, but it can't hurt to check them.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Ok I Ive narrowed it down to the fule pump,you were right! What is the BAS? I'm about to go replace all the fuses now..

Thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM

BAS = Bank Angle Sensor.

Basically, if the bike leans past a certain angle, the engine is shut off before damage is done to it. The BAS sits between the headlights in the upper fairing.

I'm willing to bet that you'll find a bad fuse in the fuse block on the left side of the bike. Post up and let us know what you found and how you fixed it.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM

Hey man...I replaced all the fuses on the side boxand still it just turns over but never starts..if it was the BAS than it would not even turn over right? and remember i was able to start it after the crash but shut it off quickly because the throttle was jammed wide openbecause of a bent handle bar witch i already fixed and now it does nothing but turn over....

Thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 06:14 PM

But like you said I dont hear the fule pump running when I turn on the key..any thoughts???

Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Where else was the bike damaged? Any pics?

There are acouple other places to check for damage/proper function. Kill switch on the right clip-on and theside stand switch. I just went out to the garage to check out my wife's 600RR (my bike is being painted). If the red kill switch is set to not run, the fuel pump will not prime regardless ofside stand position orgear selected.

Since you mention damage to the right clip-on/throttle control, I'd have a look at the kill switch.I've never done it, but I'm sure you could put a jumper across that switch to bypass it. At this point, all you want to do is hear that fuel pump spin up.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM

No I dont have any pics,
So your saying even ifthe switch isset to run,it still might be shorted out?? I'll take it apart again and have another look at it....The back brake is off as well along with the foot pegbecause I'm ordering a new one due to damage of the last one but I still have the wire hooked up to it and still nothing...so I'll try what you said....I'll probley have to take it to a bike shop.....I know it's something with the fule pump now though...

Thank you so much for all the help I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Yeah -

I don't the switch is probably normally open - so if you rock the thing down to run, the cursuit is completed and the engine will start. If you have a volt-ohm meter, check the switch to see if it's operating properly - there should be little to no resistance when the switch is set to run. You could also use a powered test light.

Just make sure that there are no broken wires in/around the switch and that any plugs are fully seated. Like I said - with the switch set to Off, nothing happens when the key is turned. Once turned to Run, the fuel pump primes when the key is turned.

Also, see if you can get your hands on a Service Manual. There are plenty of troubleshooting tests in it. I have an electronic copy somewhere - I'll look in it tomorrow.

The switch on the back brake only controls the brake light in the tail - I don't believe it has anything to do with starting since my aftermarket rearsets don't even have a brake light switch in them.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Hey man.
I took my bike to the shop,guess what was wrong,I had the BAS upside down lol I'm such a noob..but thanks for all the help bro and stay safe...

Deathcult

Quick Reply: 03 CBR wont start