CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Zener Diode Issue

Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just looking in one of your other pictures, the coloured wires from the ignition switch show all the signs of it being a Chinese one, could be the original Owner, wired that up wrong to the connector, try matching up the Pink wire to the corresponding wire coming from the ignition switch and test that wire with ignition on for 12v and once the diode is in will cut the voltage down, but there has to be 12v , I sure we did this on another forum and got the wiring colours right. Will have a look

Last edited by CaBaRet; 01-25-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys success!! Fully charged battery and the diode spliced into the 12V switched power from the red/black wire and into the pink wire to the ICM. Cranked it over and had great spark, threw everything together and by god she fired right up! Granted it will only run on full choke and will die when you take the choke off and i could not rev it without it dying as well. I tweaked with the carbs a bit and was able to get it to were i can rev it without it dying, but i am waiting to get a carb sync tool to get everything dialed in and hopefully get it to idle with the choke off. Thank you everybody that weighed in on the issue, i really appreciated all the help!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it sorted matey, once those carbs are right your good to go

Old 01-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...carb work time. If its been sitting for a while it may require that they be removed and thoroughly cleaned before things are sorted out.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bloodman324
Alright guys success!! Fully charged battery and the diode spliced into the 12V switched power from the red/black wire and into the pink wire to the ICM. Cranked it over and had great spark, threw everything together and by god she fired right up! Granted it will only run on full choke and will die when you take the choke off and i could not rev it without it dying as well. I tweaked with the carbs a bit and was able to get it to were i can rev it without it dying, but i am waiting to get a carb sync tool to get everything dialed in and hopefully get it to idle with the choke off. Thank you everybody that weighed in on the issue, i really appreciated all the help!
what Diode did you use ? And please list specs for it and where you bought it

Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 PM

A 1N4730A (3.9V, 1W) zener ought to be fine. I prefer the glass diodes vs the plastic ones (old skool tech). These are a standard part # and there's literally hundreds of sources (eBay, Digikey, Mouser, or if you have a parts house nearby). And although I do not like the NTE parts (high failure rates), their subs would likely be 'OK' in this application.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:40 PM

hey sir,
Can you explain how you installed the diode. My bike got stole last Christmas and surprisingly the police recovered it but it was in shambles

Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 AM

hello, guys! where can I order diodes??? I urgently need them. I can’t find a good site. Please tell me, and free delivery would be great. but if there isn't, it will also do, but better free. and I need delivery to England. and by the way, tell me how to find out cardiff postcode, I’ve been in cardiff since September.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 PM

I have a 2003 Honda cbr600rr and is having the same problem which fuel pump wont prime anymore. It was working a week ago then randomly stopped working. Curious if I can try the 9v battery trick utilizing the pink wire and ground to see if pump primes.
I will also order a diode too.

I got the bike used so idk if the ignition was swapped out, but I'm thinking about ordering a used oem ignition and see if it fixes problem without having to spliced in a diode.

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi matey, think we are barking up the wrong tree, just re-read your post, 1999 carbed bike, ordinary pump ,ICM not ECM, to check get one of those household small 9v batteries undo the pink wire and resistor put a connection from the + terminal of the battery onto the pink wire harness side and a connection from - side to a good earth giving you 9v to the ICM, see if it will fire

Old 12-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Think your making progress, yes good charge on the battery and who knows, think echowars could be right about the diode being in back to front though, the anode and cathode have to be the right way round
hey buddy did you fix this problem? I’m having the same issue. I switched diode , I’m using a 3.9 volt and I’m only dropping to 10 volts . Idk what’s going on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zener Diode Issue