CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Your opinion welcome - HID vs projector

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Your opinion welcome - HID vs projector

I would like to get better nighttime visibility and road illumination (for lack of a better word). I like how ___Z___ is doing the Audi lights/projector upgrade... but I'm not sure about how it will look with a single headlight like we have on our F4s..

The Audi lights IMO probably wont look right...

As an alternative, I am looking at an HID kit for the bike.. something around 5000K.. not sure if DDM is still making them since so many people seem to like that one.. Or... should I just go with some Silverstar Ultras or whatever and keep it simple?

What do you all think?

Thanks

Last edited by Turbulenz; 02-28-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm all for a good project but... Have you tried upgrading bulbs first?

My original bulb was yellow-ish light & wasn't quite bright enough for night riding either. Exploring options, I decided to give a better modern replacement bulb a try. I installed a CandlePower Premium Plus Halogen H4 bulb & it totally changed evening riding for me. Its white light & really projects. For about $8, I was good to go.

Not trying to nix your project b/c it would be interesting to see what could be done. However, thought I'd offer an inexpensive but excellent upgrade w/o significant cost.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Official Welcome Crew

thanks gotcbr. I am all for trying 'simpler solutions' before jumping into a larger upgrade.. I am just checking out options. Where did you get this "candlepower" bulb? from?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Official Welcome Crew

is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Candl...item20b7222dc1

Candlepower shows a few different H4s.. this one is "All Weather"

Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Honda shop actually stocks them as replacements b/c they are liked so much. They are also available thru CandlePower's website at www.candlepowerinc.com .

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE

I think I like it, but it reminds me a mike wazowski from Monsters Inc...

[/QUOTE]

I busted a nut laughing at that....haha

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Piranha

I busted a nut laughing at that....haha
Ewwwwww...

I've played with the idea of making my own projector set up for my F3, but I decided that because the lens isn't smooth and has ridges, the light output wouldn't work right.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the first things I swapped was the headlight bulb. First I got the Philips extra white light thing (not sure about the name) but then just got a motorcycle H4 Bi-Xenon HID kit with a slim ballast. I can't give a link because I'm not in the US. I ride a lot at night and it gives me plenty of light. I have the 35Watt version but there are also 55Watt versions available. I'll probably upgrade to a 55Watt version next year. However the 35Watt gives plenty of light! (Oh, I have a 6000k btw which I think is the best option.)

PS: It's a really easy install! My kit looks similar to the picture below.

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 03-01-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew

I'm holding off on the HID setup for now... I bought a candlepower inc. "BLB" White Light Blue bulb. It isnt one of those cheap tinted blue H4s.. its a bright almost pure white bulb... for less than $10 shipped I had to give it a shot.. gotcbr has the same one and he likes it. I only rode about 5 times at night last season, but my current headlight doesnt feel like it really throws much light.

Thanks all.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM

I have a buddy tha just did a projector swap on his cbr f4 it is a very unique look but the same as with my car at the top of the beem is flat in a car its not bad but with his it hinders the light from going as far up the road as the standard fixture but it look very clean. I do alot of night riding and prefer the hid I was runnig 30k its comfortable on the eyes as your riding just who ever is front of you hate you I switch to 8k and love them super white light but every one has there on opinions

Quick Reply: Your opinion welcome - HID vs projector