CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Urgent help needed ! scorpion stubby

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
riz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help needed ! scorpion stubby

h- hoping to buy a stubby scorpion v shortly, would I need to dyno my bike once fitted, would it damage my engine?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by riz
h- hoping to buy a stubby scorpion v shortly, would I need to dyno my bike once fitted, would it damage my engine?
you will also need to jet your bike, putting it on the dyno will allow you to get the maximum power out of your exhaust by dyno tuning, adjusting the carbs to get the most power, its not something that you need to do, unless you have the extra cash, or are testing more than one exhaust to get the most power...

just get the pipe and jets

Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 PM
riz
Talking

Ok I've one the bid and now I'm out of my comfort zone! Will I damage the engine in the long run depending on whether I jet or not? I'm not really interested in power gains, just want everyone to hear me coming round the corner!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Short answer is yes it could do damage to the motor.
long answer: If you are going from a stock exhaust to a more free flowing exhaust without adjusting the jetting you could be creating a lean running condition. Most bikes are more lean than they should be from the factory to help pass newer emissions regulations. A lean running ( more O2 then Fuel in the Air/Fuel mixture) engine will create more heat specifically in the combustion chamber, exhaust valve and header pipe. The Jetting will richen up the Air/fuel mixture to ensure balance within a more free flowing system. jettign should be checked after any exhaust or Airbox mod unless the manufacturer specifies that no jetting is required. Without a Dyno tune or manufacturers directions on the amount of jetting its just guess work.
My advice is follow the pipe's installation recommendations or in case of buying a used pip off ebay get the Dyno guys to setup the jetting. Have the carbs/throttle bodies synced while your in there.

Psy

Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 PM
riz

err, only one problem, the nearest dyno place is 50-60miles away...any way I can do this myself or at a standard garage?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Are you the original owner? Are you currently running an aftermarket Exhaust?
if so richer jetting may have already been done. It would be close if that was the case. If not your local shop could just put the jet kit in. It would be close enough that you should be ok. Dynojet has kits with general guidelines for intake and exhaust mods. Just ceck out the Dynojet website and look for information on the pipe's manufacturer's website and see what they recommend for jetting. All this info will get you close enough to avoid any damage. A dyno with a exhaust sniffer is the only way to get it dialed exactly. Put the bike on a truck and make a little road trip out of it

psy

Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
riz

I'm the new owner, and it's currently running on the stock exhaust. I'm hoping to change it to the stubby scorp next week.