CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

UK spec CBR600F4 - MPH per 1000rpm in 6th?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Man missed this thread for some reason. if you need any MPH and gears let em know as I'm out on mine this weekend if it's dry... and I'll make a note!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Cheers Pugheaven - I think we are all sorted now.

We get over to north wales quite often in summer. Will have to catch up and have a ride out some day.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Dean0
Cheers Pugheaven - I think we are all sorted now.

We get over to north wales quite often in summer. Will have to catch up and have a ride out some day.
Deffo matey just drop me a line.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Default UK Bikes have 16T front and 44 rear ?

Originally Posted by Dean0
sccbr600 - thanks - that means that the gearing is around 12.5mph per 1000rpm in top.

So 70 divide by 12.5 = 5600

kilgoretrout - thanks - nice site.

It says that at 70 mph the F4 should be doing 5500

So 12.73mph per 1000rpm in top.

Both agree within 100rpm so looks good to me.

SO - Any idea why a speedo on an F4 would read low ?

Bike rides very well - pulls cleanly and reaches red line so I belive the tachometer.
Sprockets are the standard 16F and 45R
Rear wheel has a 180/55R17 on it.

However at 7000 rpm in top it is only showing 60mph.
Hi I recently read on one of the threads the UK models have a 44T rear sprocket and can be verified in the Haynes Manual and tells you the reason why it was different to the UK spec.

Trouble is the thread did not say why and it would be good if I could know why that was!

I will eventually get the Haynes manual as intend on keeping this bike a long time

Getting back to the Thread that would mean the gearing on Standard UK bikes according to gearing commander will then be :
13 mph per 1000 rpm in 6th gear

Regards
Tim

Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Default Update

Update on the saga

Black'n'Yellow - yes - correct - UK bikes have 16/44 gearing and 13.07mph per 1000rpm

We have the bike speedo reading correctly compared to a sat nav ( within 5mph at 80 )

BUT - now the trip and odometer are clocking up miles far too fast.

It looks like the odometer and trip meter are reading in Kilometers !!!!! ( difference is a factor of 1.6 )

We can only assume at some point that a UK MPH speedo has been put in to a KPH circuit board.

UNLESS someone knows how to switch the odometer and trip meters between Kilometers and miles ??

Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM

What's the max speed in each gear? Sorry to butt in on this thread but it seems what ever i search for on the tinterweb points me to the direction of this thread!

Deano, is your bike an import?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fryup2000
What's the max speed in each gear? Sorry to butt in on this thread but it seems what ever i search for on the tinterweb points me to the direction of this thread!

Deano, is your bike an import?
No - as far as we can check it is not an import.
We have checked with Honda UK and they say bike was an official UK registered bike.

The log book says its not imported ( first registered by honda uk )

HPI say its a UK bike and all of the numbers for frame, carbs, engine and headlight are UK spec.

Not sure about max speed in each gear - we have been checking speedo against a satnav.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Default All fixed

Final update

Took the plunge yesterday and managed to find a set of clocks that were only 450 miles more than the bike had on it.

Bought them and fitted them.

Bike is now reading speed and odometer distance very close to a satnav reading.

30mph on bike is showing 29mph on the satnav
40mph on bike is showing 39mph on the satnav
50mph on bike is showing 48mph on the satnav
60mph on bike is showing 58mph on the satnav
70mph on bike is showing 67mph on the satnav
80mph on bike is showing 77mph on the satnav

And over a 30 mile route set on the satnav - the bike clocked up 30.2 miles

Nice idea of honda NOT to indicate in the odometer what units it is measuring in.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM

Hi Dean0,

Glad to read you have sorted you problem out, though rather a hard and possible expensive way to have to do it!

Strange it was set up like that.
I have read on some newer bikes (in forums) that you can change between MPH and KPH but am unsure if there is a way to set it

I'm a real novice at looking into these things but I did notice there is a speed sensor shown on picture in the workshop manual near the gearbox /mid bike. Maybe that was changed in the past on your bike which is causing your original odometer to be reading off and also why that other black box was placed into to at least heal the speedo ?

I hope to check out my speedo and odometer against a GPS once the weather gets better and feel it's about the same as other bikes i have so feel confident I will stay legal where i am suppose to.

I do hope you can make use of your original clocks and solve the mystery of what happened to your set up.

Regards
Tim

Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Black'n'Yellow - I have done countless hours of research on the speedo.

The gearbox pulse sensor is the same on every cbr600 fy or fx

The pulses required for a set speed are the same for MPH and KMH speedos - the numbers corelate to the same position on the speedo dial ( eg 100kmh is in the same place as 62mph )

The black box taken off is a kmh to mph converter ( the speed indicated on the kmh scale of the speedo was actually mph in reality - the mph scale was redundant !! )

When the black box was removed - the mph scale was then correct BUT the odometer was now clocking 1.6 for every mile covered !!

Dealer who sold the bike is horrified at the outcome - can not appologise enough and has agreed to pay for the new clocks ( he knows that trading standards would remove his legs if it went that far )

Although some of the digital speedos can be changed from reading mph to kmh - the odometer is a fixed unit that matches the units used in the country it was sold in.

Quick Reply: UK spec CBR600F4 - MPH per 1000rpm in 6th?