CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Took the bike apart and now have dying issues!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008 | 11:16 PM
|
Default Took the bike apart and now have dying issues!

My bike was running hot and needed the thermostat changed (but other than that ran perfect). Now that it is colder out and the bike is almost ready for storage anyway I figured me and my grandpa could have a go at it. Unfortuantly we got to the carbs and were too scared to remove them to get to where the thermostat is (jammed underneath). So we chickened out and put the bike back togeather.

Unfortuantly after we put the bike togeather it is screwed up. I can start it (after it has sat for a few days) then I can ride it in first for a couple of minutes.....as soon and I get the speed up a bit the throttle response goes wonky and then when I stop it dies AND THEN IT WONT START!!! Then it acts like the starter is screwed or the battery is dead...giving no response when I try to start it or making whinny noises. This has happened twice, both times I had to walk the bike back (thankfully only a few blocks because thats as far as she gets). I suspect we put something togeather wrong when we put the bike back togeather but I have no Idea what. Both times I let the bike sit a couple of days and it started up just fine. Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2008 | 03:23 PM
Default RE: Took the bike apart and now have dying issues!

make sure all your vac lines are hooked up correctly. the airbox lines can really only go one way but make sure those carb sync lines are still plugged into the airbox. they are the 4 small lines that plug in right behind each intake for the carbs.

also, carbs are easy to take off and put back on, I wouldn't get psyched out by them. you just loosen the hose clamps and take off like 4 things to get them off. it's easy.

Old 11-01-2008 | 07:52 PM
|

Thanks Aweasel, I will have to check the lines and see if that is causing the problem....I am pretty sure they were all hooked up tho.

Old 11-02-2008 | 05:07 PM
|

Ok...now when I turn the key the bike lights/ headlight turns on but there is absolutly no turnover/ start-up. Should I still be checking the vac lines etc. Aweasel (or others) or am I looking for something else? It seems odd that the bike does not even try to start. It made a couple of odd noises the first few times I tried to start it and then nothing.

Old 11-04-2008 | 03:44 PM

Sounds like you may have multiple problems my friend. If it has problems turning over, that would be purely electrical, short of a seized engine. You need to troubleshoot with a battery that's fully charged. Charge it up. On low battery voltage your bike couldrun poorly due to ignition problemsalong with any others. Ideas: +1 on the carb syncing vacuum lines. They need to be plugged.Check them at both ends and check them for tears or holes, etc. The more important of the larger lines on the airbox would be on the front right side. From there it shold T off and go to both sides of the carb assembly. If that's not right, carb slides might not open. Fuel petcock in the right position and no blockage? Kinked Fuel line?

Old 11-06-2008 | 10:03 PM
|

When the key is on and the headlight is on doesnt that mean the battery has juice? Or does the bike require alot more battery juice to turnover than the headlight uses?

I have not had a chance to open the bike up yet as it is at my parents house currently (they have a garage and I don't) but next time I am there I would like to know what to look for. I can get a battery charger b4 I go next time but I figured since the headlight was on I had power.

Old 11-07-2008 | 03:55 PM

Well it's not quite that simple. The battery needs two things. Voltage above 12.0v and enough potential current to provide for starting. If the battery is bad, the voltage may still be above 12v but can't deliver enough current to turn the starter motor, in turn drawing the battery voltage down way low. If an electrical starting problem is suspected I would do two things. First (and this is with a fully charged battery) load test the battery. If under a specified load (i don't know how many a/hr's these batterys are) the voltage drops down to far, then your battery is bad. Also the starter needs to be checked for current draw. A high current draw could mean two things a) the starter motor is bad or b) the engine is so hard to turn over it's making the motor draw excessive current. Some auto parts place's do free battery load testing, I would start there.