CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Tire help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help needed

I would like new tires for my '99 and am curious on what i should expect to spend and what makes are good. I will only be doing street riding and not that agressive at that, so mid-range tires should be fine.

Any good sites to order? Should i order from a dealer or order online myself and then take it to a dealer to put them on?

Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Default RE: Tire help needed

Following this post too.

I discovered a crack in the (original stock) front tire of my 99 today. I ordered a Bridgestone Battleaxe to match my back tire (only 434 miles on it)

It cost me $181

Old 05-02-2006, 05:49 AM

Ebay, will list a bunch of sellers
Michelin Pilot Power , just all around the best tire.
for Street riding (fast warm up time) and just great feel for Your Honda.

Just had mine for about 500 miles or so and they really give you confidence/feel

That's just my opinion but you'll see JUST ABOUT EVERYONE agrees that this tire is great and you can find a pair of them for 240 or so shipped on Ebay with a little shopping patience

enjoy!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Muz

For the type of riding your doing you probably don't want pilot powers just because you will be replacing them in 2k-3k miles

Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Flip,

Good question. I replaced my tires with OEM Dunlops (D207), and I can't wait for a legitimate excuse to change into something else. The Dunlops seem to take a while to warm up (I'm in Britain right now and it is still chilly and wet), they are also REAL slippery when cold. Thanks for asking the question, this way I get to find a better alternative too!

Old 05-27-2006, 01:15 AM

I've so far managed to do 6000miles since I bought my bike which came fitted with a set of pirelli diablo corsas, which I used through winter, which were beautiful to say the least and warmed up quickly. I rode in all conditions including ice, snow, rain, and even some sun (in Britain which is damn rare). I'm not sure what the total miles on the Corsa Diablos were, but i managed over 4500miles of ragging. Mind when I finally changed them i'd got to the wear indicator on the front and made the tyre a sort of \___/ shape (though not as drastic as that). It did make the bike drop into corners some what rapidly which was nice, though it felt some what washy too lol. As for the back i'd gone about half way through the indicator (instead of to the indicator) leaving it looking almost akin to a racing slick lmao. I then re-shod it with Bridgestone BT014s, setting me back £240 fitted and balanced. So far the BT014s feel ace, though I can't comment on the winter riding for them as much as I can the Corsa Diablos. But they do well in the wet or dry and seem to warm quickly, but not quite as quick as the Corsa Diablos did. As for wear they seem as good as new still. Over all I love both the Pirelli Corsa Diablos and the Bridgestone BT014s, but they aren't cheap.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 AM

You can probably get tires for less if you get them on Ebay or from an online supplier, but I've noticed alot of bike shops around here are now refusing to mount and balance tires that are not purchased through them. I've also noticed that dealer's prices are starting to become more competitive with online suppliers.

As for tires, I have been running Michelin Pilot Sports. They are more streetable than the Powers, and will last longer. Fronts are about $150, rears are about $190.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Yea I know I could probably get them cheaper on ebay, but I don't trust ebay and there fore wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. But I also pay much more for things in Britain than you do in America, which sucks lol. Also what you're saying about some dealers not doing tyres that aren't sold by them is true here too. As for the competitiveness, in some cases i'd agree, but then there are still shops out there that try to ring you dry of every penny/cent you have lol.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:26 AM

Yeah , all true, dealers are real funny acting when you bring in other tires to have them mounted.
I got all kinds of little under the breath remarks, just because they sold my Michelin Pilot Powers for 500 for the set (PLUS MOUNTING/BALANCE)
I paid 200 for the pair free shipping on ebay

They asked stuff like "Did you check the date on those tires" Were they perfectly rounded? Are you sure they weren't at the bottom of the stack?

Anything to deter you or make you 2nd guess. Make SURE! to buy online as dealer mark ups are 200-300% literally,

I almost sh** when I saw this guy pay 550 for the same tires , but I wasn't gonna mess up there sale/business.

Good luck and enjoy whatever type of tire you go with, all of the manufacturers have some nice products out there.
Just Research and go with the best research/forum/ratings you can. I like the Pilot Powers but that's my personal preference , not the Bible

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently running a set of supercorsas... very little tread pattern and although I have't had any problems the one time I did ride in the wet I really really loath to ride in the rain with these tires.

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRE...rcorsa_sc1.htm

What I can tell you is that in the dry they stick like super glue.

I've got a spare set of Pilot's I'm going to be putting on shortly as they should be considerably better in the wet. These came off after about 400km to put the track rubber on... and because I wasn't going to track the bike in the near future I decided I'd finish the track tires on the street.

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRE...Pilot_Road.htm

(I'm using that website to show pictures and general price differences... I have no affliation with that website and haven't brought tires from them)

Quick Reply: Tire help needed