CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Thermostat leaking but not all the time

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat leaking but not all the time

Ok, So here is the issue. I have a 99F4 and I was told by previous owner that if I am at a long red light it would start to "OVERHEAT" so he hard wired the fan to a toggle switch.

I was just going to run the fan the entire time I am actually riding to insure that it doesn't begin to overheat ( APPARENTLY THE TEMP GAUGE DOESN'T WORK, BECAUSE IT NEVER MOVES) so when I run the fan at all, I start leaking coolant from one of the hoses that connects to my thermostat, ( WAS GONNA REPLACE THE HOSE) but (I HAD TO RUN TO THE STORE THE RIGHT FAST SO I TOOK THE BIKE AND DID NOT RUN THE FAN AT ALL AND I HAVE NO LEAKING WHATSOEVER. I know it has to sound funny but how could me running my fan cause my thermostat to leak from that hose. When I leave the bike idling in the driveway with fan on it leaks but when I let it idle in the driveway with the fan off it doesn't leak whatsoever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really *need* to have an operational temp gauge. If yours doesn't actually work, you need to get a new one.

If you are leaking coolant from a hose(s), you *need* to replace those hoses. If your bike's hoses are stock, you're talking about 12+ yr old hoses. Its a good idea to change them anyway.

Since you need to replace the hoses, its a good time to flush & fill the system. This is a relatively easy job. Just follow the procedure in the factory service manual (online version links avail here in forum). Also, there are how-to's here on the forum.

Its difficult to diagnose (if not impossible) problems w/ modified systems, such as yours. W/o knowing specifically what the PO did w/ wiring, etc. A thorough diagnostic can't really be done over the interwebs.

While I'm not discounting the ability to turn the fan on w/a switch whenever you want, I would put the bike back to stock configuration & judge the overheating issue for myself & see if its actually necessary to modify.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

It's possible that when the fan is on it is blowing water through the radiator and onto the floor. It may only be a slight leak, but the fan is making the leak look worse than it is. You still need to replace that leaking hose though and I'd get a new radiator thermostat so the fan comes on when it needs to. I had a temporay fan switch connected on an old Skoda car and used it just until I was able to get the proper switch for the radiator, so it is only a standby.

Originally Posted by PRIMETIME
Ok, So here is the issue. I have a 99F4 and I was told by previous owner that if I am at a long red light it would start to "OVERHEAT" so he hard wired the fan to a toggle switch.

I was just going to run the fan the entire time I am actually riding to insure that it doesn't begin to overheat ( APPARENTLY THE TEMP GAUGE DOESN'T WORK, BECAUSE IT NEVER MOVES) so when I run the fan at all, I start leaking coolant from one of the hoses that connects to my thermostat, ( WAS GONNA REPLACE THE HOSE) but (I HAD TO RUN TO THE STORE THE RIGHT FAST SO I TOOK THE BIKE AND DID NOT RUN THE FAN AT ALL AND I HAVE NO LEAKING WHATSOEVER. I know it has to sound funny but how could me running my fan cause my thermostat to leak from that hose. When I leave the bike idling in the driveway with fan on it leaks but when I let it idle in the driveway with the fan off it doesn't leak whatsoever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 AM

I am gonna replace the hoses this weekend and flush the system, I am also going to take it to a local shop here and get it looked over I was just curious to know if I could ride for a little bit rode it for 2 hours yesterday and I had to stop and adjust my carbs just after I left the house and I was stopped for a minute so I cut on the fan and immediaitely it started leaking so I cut off the fan and not a single drop for the rest of the day.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Sorry, I almost forgot. Thanks for the info.