CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Starting problem after Carb Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem after Carb Rebuild

Ok I've done some searches and went through the other threads and had a few questions. Here is the back story, my 1999 F4 track bike wasn't starting at all last fall, over the winter looked and realized it was a bad battery. In the process decided to take the carbs off and re-jet them and replace the fuel lines and filter and plugs. Pilot screws were set at 2 turns out from bottomed. I haven't tried adjusting the idle screw yet. Didn't take the carbs off the rail when cleaning so I haven't tried to resynch. This is all now completed, I've check that the fuel pump works by jumping the relay. Hooked it all back up and it cranks but can't get it to turn over or even attempt to turn over. I tried jumping the pump with the tank connected to get fuel to the bowls for link 5 seconds. Then turned cranked about 20 times to no avail. Check that there seemed to be fuel in the lines.

Question 1: Is there a direction the fiel filter have to go? Or can the fuel flow either direction.

Question 2: While I haven't check the bowls yet, there is fuel in the line going from the pump to the carbs so I'm assuming it is going there.

Question 3: Should the fuel filter look full?

Question 4: When jumping the fuel pump it makes noise for a fuel second then eventually stops, is this correct or is the battery just going down at this point?

I haven't been able to get it started and I'd like to avoid chucking out the cash to take it to a shop, so any advise would be great and thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered Users

Tried again this morning, to no avail. Can get the fuel filter to fill up. CHecked the plugs and while they seemed to have a little gas on them I wouldn't say they are wet, and since I just put them in I'm assuming has is getting to the cylinder. Changed fuses for the Ign System and it still seems to not want to catch. No responses from here and no new ideas from me, I'm afriad this might have to go to the shop.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Pilot jet at 2 turns out sounds low - the book suggests 3 turns out.

Are you sure the tickover adjuster is high enough for the bike to run ?

The fuel pump only runs till there is no more requirement for fuel - then it stops.

Did you reconnect the choke at the carbs ?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered Users

I only went with 2 turns out as that was the suggestion on the factory pro jet kit based on the filter and exhaust combo and the suggested jets.

I'm not sure what you mean you you refer to "tickover" adjuster. I probably haven't adjusted it since I don't know what it is, any help with this would be appreciated.

Yes I have reconnected the chocke and have tried it both open and closed.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJKneeSlider
I only went with 2 turns out as that was the suggestion on the factory pro jet kit based on the filter and exhaust combo and the suggested jets.

I'm not sure what you mean you you refer to "tickover" adjuster. I probably haven't adjusted it since I don't know what it is, any help with this would be appreciated.

Yes I have reconnected the chocke and have tried it both open and closed.
Hadn't realised it had been jetted - if instructions say 2 turns then go with that.

Down near the fuel filter/pump there is a small thumbwheel for adjusting the idle speed of the bike.

It could be that the idle has been set too low for the bike to run.

Are you sure the idle jets are clear ?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Registered Users

Ah gotcha, yeah I've adjust the idle speed screw, both ways, and nothing. When I jetted the carbs I went through everything with compressed air (or so I thought) and it seemed to be all clear. I think I'm going to break down and take it to the shop and I'll be sure to let you know what it ended up being (in hopes that they can find out)

Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Registered Users

So I didn't take it in yet, but started playing around with a multimeter and I think it is an electrical gremlin. Can anyway verify the voltage I should be getting from the ICM to the plug coil in the ON state (not running or cranking). I thought it should have been the battery voltage but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also what about the voltage from the Bl/W white from the start-stop switch to the plug harness? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Could be something as simple as spark plugs. Check them to see if they're fowled out and check if the gap is set correctly. Start with the simple fixes first because, in my ecperience, those are usually the problem. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Question Possible help

Hi,

Just read your post and although I ride a 1000 there are 2 points that may be worth trying.

The fuel filter on mine has a directional flow arrow on it. Has yours and is it the right way round?
Have you tried fuel into the bores, bypassing the carbs, and seeing if she fires? Only a drop needed to get a turn over so don't over do it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rich

Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM

Check for fire at the plugs if there isn't fire check the diode that is in the key thing. If its messed up the ecu won't get 9 volts so the bike thinks its stolen and won't fire

Quick Reply: Starting problem after Carb Rebuild