CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Stalling when Hot Issues Continue!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike doesn't seem to be running hotter than normal as far as temp goes. But something is getting hot over the 20 minute ride to work and doesn't want to function properly. I thought it was the R/R doing it, but I'm thinking something else now. Either fuel pump, the solenoid thingy that runs the fuel pump, possibly the cam/crank sensor or something with the old wiring.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM

I did some more reading on some other forums and google and stuff and supposedly the F3's have this same sort of problem. Some have said the fuel cut of relay is causing them problems. I replaced mine a couple years ago and it fixed a couple of my problems. Dont really remember if I had the problem after that. I'm going to do some voltage testing and see how much power I'm getting out of it when it's cold and then when it's hot - if there is a difference I might wire in a different style relay and see if I get anything different. Should hopefully have time in the next couple of days to do this. I'll keep you updated.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Ok guys, I made some progress tonight. Not quite what I thought it was thinking it was going to be, but I was close. My bike was acting up really really bad on my way home today. I barely made it home. My voltage was lower than I thought it would be when I tested it at home. Was barely getting 12v at idle. I tested my stator and I think its starting to go out. I'm only getting about 14v out of 2 of the wires and nothing out of the 3rd. After testing that I jumped to the fuel pump relay and cut off switch. These were only getting about 10v at best on the battery side of the relays. Seemed kinda weird. This didnt change even if the bike wasnt running. I pulled up the wiring diagrams and immediately saw that power for those comes directly from the engine stop switch by the throttle. To test my theory I ran a short power wire directly from the battery + to the relays. My bike started idling fine. I let the bike idle and even let by the fan kick on for a few minutes (yes minutes). No stuttering or idle fluctuation. So now I unplug the temp power wire, bike almost immediately starts to stutter. I connected the wire again, idle smoothed out and ran fine. With the wire plugged in the relays were getting 12v. The other thing I noticed on the wiring diagram was that the same power circuit for the fuel pump relays also runs the spark plug coils. I'm guessing something in the wiring harness doesnt have a good connection anymore and isnt giving good voltage to that circuit and in turn is causing our bikes to run like crap. I'm going to tear into my harness hopefully this week and see if I can find the culprit wire or switch or connector so I can get my bike on the road and hopefully solve this stupid stalling problem all of us are having.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 PM

Oh, if any of you want to see what wire i'm talking about on the wiring diagram its the black/white wire that goes from the engine stop switch to the spark plug coils, fuel cut off relay and fuel pump transfer relay.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow! Good info!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM

awesome work man. please keep us posted.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm guessing it's either the kill switch itself or one of the connectors, or some really bad wiring that just has way to much resistance. Worst case scenario I'll bypass the kill switch direct wiring and run the kill switch through a relay so I can get more "direct" power to that circuit instead of running it through the ignition switch then the kill switch and then all the way to the back of the bike. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 PM

deff plz keep us posted. i just started having this problem, it started with stuttering at take off and staling in the process unless i gave it alot of gas to now its doing that and staling when stoped in traffic. deff a pain in the *** and makes you look like an idiot in front of alot of ppl. lol

Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 AM

ahaha. i always shake my head to play it off. I always shut my bike off when stopped now.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I generally shut mine off too. I was blown away when I put 12v to that circuit. I had it idling at 1100, with the fan on, and idled better than it ever had, and I even hit the brake so the brake light came on and still no stutter. I was so happy. I've been busy with a family reunion and family in town that I haven't been able to work on it. I will as soon as I get some time though.

Quick Reply: Stalling when Hot Issues Continue!