CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Some help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help please

So I started my 99 cbr f4 today on half choke. Let it run and got involved in something. So I let it run for like 20 mins at 2k. I know. Stupid. I meant to come right back out and my kid needed something. SoI come out and there was a nice size fluid spot. So I shut it down quick and it was hot as *****.

Had a friend come down and take a look and I actually didnt lose as much oil as I though. Not even a quarter of a quart cause it is still full. So I figured it spit it out through the breather valve. The spot was under the center of the bike and did not get on the header or gather in the fairing. It was not coming from the oil pan or the oil filter.

So I dont know where the breather valve actually is. I fired it back up when I saw the oil was full and let it run normal and it was not leaking so that is why I came to that conclusion.

Where can I locate the breather valve to check? Havent pulled the fairings yet.

Thanks in advance. No need to scold me. I know it was stupid but when the kids need something you totally forget about things., Its crazy

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Default RE: Some help please

I did the exact same thing at the end of last year, my daughter wanted somethign to drink, and i forgot my bike was running full choke for about 10 mins! came out and the temp needle was up in the red, shut it off and I hear the coolant boiling, and about that time it all comes spilling out. burnt a hole in the side of the overflow reservoir.

Im not exactly sure where the breather valve is, havent pulled my fairings in a few months. but I would get them pulled off and the tank and you should be able to spot it.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is probably coolant, and not oil... if it was oil it could have been stuff that was stuck on the case and got hot enough to run off.

Check the coolant overflow bottle is still in range... and next time don't start it until you're ready to go

Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

That is probably coolant, and not oil... if it was oil it could have been stuff that was stuck on the case and got hot enough to run off.

Check the coolant overflow bottle is still in range... and next time don't start it until you're ready to go
thats what I was thinking as well...but i figured its easy to tell the difference between oil and coolant.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah this was def oil. My pops said his Harley does it from time to time if it got real hot. It was def oil. It was purple. But I havent leaked a drop since so that was our thinking. Coolant is good.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Oil isn't purple. It was coolent.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Yeah it was coolant. It was the purple super cool stuff. Just leaked from the cap. Didnt actually lose too much. I think all is well.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 PM

I pulled my fairing to make sure nothing was blown or cracked. Reserve looked good. Actually didnt lose much at all. Thanks for the help.