CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

RPMs at Idle, Fuel Indicator, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs at Idle, Fuel Indicator, Etc.

What's going on everyone? I'm not only new to this site but new to street bikes so I apologize for the nooby questions but that's what I've noticed about this community... you all actually help the new guy!

Anyway, I have a few questions about my 1999 CBR600 F4. I've taken this video after having her idle for about 10 minutes and just want to make sure everything sounds/looks good. RPS seem to sit right around 1000-1100. Granted, the gauges are almost never 100% accurate on bikes but if you could just give a look and listen to the sound as I move from the muffler to engine and let me know if everything sounds ok?

The other question is, the fuel indicator. Here is a picture of my cluster and I read somewhere that there is no actual fuel gauge but only a "HEY BUDDY! STOP AND GET GAS" light. I... THINK there is supposed to be a reserve indicator somewhere on this dash but I don't know where? Obviously the fuel light will come on but is there anything else that will come on to let me know how much I have before I must stop?

Alright... so an addition to those questions, I do have a couple more. (sorry!)

There are some lighting issues that I also need to fix and was wondering if I actually need to take it into a shop or if it's a simple fix I could do myself.

The normal headlight does NOT work but the brights do... any ideas on what would cause this problem?

The left and right signals both work BUT the left (parking light I think it's called) is completely out unless the blinker gets turned on and then it flashes... but without the blinker on it's just out. Right right one stays on and the blinker works.

Thank you so much all for taking the time to read/watch and any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new to you bike! ;-)

As an F4 owner, I can say that sounds just fine. However, your idle needs to be set at approx 1400 rpm. Your idle adjustment **** (small black turn ****) is on the R side just below the frame. A gentle turn to the R increases rpm.

Your gas indicator light will come on when the bike hits reserve. You have at least .5 gal to get to a gas station. There will be no other lights/indicators to come on to notify you to get gas. However, I recommend making it a practice to keep your odo on tank mileage to keep you aware of how many miles you've got on that particular tank. I know I can get 170 mi out of a tank but I usually start thinking about a fill-up around 150 mi.

As for your headlight... The single bulb has both low & high beams. Sounds like your low beam is out. Get yourself a new bulb. We had a thread on this going in the F4 section recently. Just scroll down the page in the F4 section for that & see the recommendations. I personally use *Candlepower* bulbs in my F4. In fact, Candlepower are factory replacements in many Honda shops these days. Its easy to swap out. There's a clip that swings back, remove the boot, & twist out the bulb...replace & you should be good to go.

As for your turn signals... You may have a loose/broken wire. You can remove the side fairing & check it out. Its easy to fix.

Going to move this thread over to the F4 section since you're one of us F4 owners know. ;-)

ETA: There are links here on the forum to download the factory Honda service manual. I recommend downloading it & begin familiarizing yourself w/ it. Its full of extremely useful info. We have a link in the F4 section in a thread as well - just scroll down, you'll find it. :-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-28-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM

Excellent reply! It's good to hear that the headlight issue is most likely just a bulb. I hate riding it around with brights on and I'm sure other drivers hate it even more lol.

In the daylight tomorrow afternoon (after my wife and I go to the DMV to get my permit and register the bike/get plates), I will def. look into these other issues as well.

As far as removing the fairing, I'm assuming there is some info here or if I just search YouTube, I can figure it out or is there anything special with this model?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM

Glad to help.

Removing the side fairings is really easy on the F4. Its just a matter or removing all the screws & gently pulling off. Its very straight forward. You can do it. Just take you time.

Good luck w/ quick processing at the DMV. ;-)

Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 PM

One final question before going out there to do this tomorrow...

In reference to adjusting the idle adjustment ****... do I want to do this WHILE it's idling or with the engine off. I am assuming with the engine off and then starting it back up to test how much it's been adjusted.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Adjust while running. Start up your bike w/ choke as normal. After its warmed up & you adjust your choke downward, start adjusting the idle ****. Keep in mind that minor adjustments go a l-o-n-g way. ;-) Later, after you've ridden a bit or had the bike running for awhile, you'll prob have to adjust again. No worries. Just play around w/ it til you get to approx 1400. It may take a few adjustments to get there.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 AM

So sorry man but when you say...

Start up your bike w/ choke as normal. After its warmed up & you adjust your choke downward
What do you mean by start with choke and adjust choke? Lol because I have NOT been doing that. I know the choke is on the left but I think it's just sitting in the low/off position as I have been starting the bike up today.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 AM

Usually the first start of the day or after the bike has been sitting for a long period of time (especially in a cool climate), you'll need to use your choke lever (pulling back toward yourself - as if sitting on bike). Rpms will increase to warm up the bike quicker. As w/ any choked bike, you'll need to adjust it down as it warms up.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Ok that's what I thought. So, during this hot summer days in North Carolina (about 92 today I think), the choke can stay seated all the way forward unless it hasn't been run in days or it's cold morning?

Ah... I do have ONE more question. As I rode the bike back and forth on a straight away while my wife listened for any weird noises, she mentioned that the chain sounds a bit "grindy".. sort of how a bike chain sounds when switching gears. Does it just need a good cleaning with a chain brush or should I have this inspected?

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-29-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by ShindaTravis
Ok that's what I thought. So, during this hot summer days in North Carolina (about 92 today I think), the choke can stay seated all the way forward unless it hasn't been run in days or it's cold morning?
Yeah, you'll get used to knowing when it needs it & when it doesn't.

Originally Posted by ShindaTravis
Ah... I do have ONE more question. As I rode the bike back and forth on a straight away while my wife listened for any weird noises, she mentioned that the chain sounds a bit "grindy".. sort of how a bike chain sounds when switching gears. Does it just need a good cleaning with a chain brush or should I have this inspected?
The chain prob needs a good cleaning, lube, & perhaps adjustment. Personally, I use WD40 to clean my chain. There are many acceptable chain lubes out there. I've used ProHonda, PJ1, Belray, Motorex, etc. The factory service manual will show you how to adjust & have proper slack. From experience, I can tell you that the F4 likes the chain a little looser than tighter. I.e....on the looser end of the slack adjustment than on the tighter. ;-)

Quick Reply: RPMs at Idle, Fuel Indicator, Etc.