CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Riding two up

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding two up

Hello peeps

If anybody could help me out with this please. Am taking my parter out on my bike now this is the first time she's ever been out on a bike so was wondering if anybody knows the set up needed I.e suspension and tyre pressure and anything else I should do. Bike is a cbr 600 f4 1999 thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I would set my psi up to 37 front /42 rear, and stiffen up your preload a click or two.

Have her put her hands on the tank to support herself, otherwise when you stop she will slam into your back. Her arms will be under yours, and it helps if she can put enough pressure against your sides for you to feel her. If she can get knees to be against your thighs and squeeze it will give you the comfort of your knowing she is still there. Her head should be slightly to one side or the other so that her helmet wont hit the back of yours (this is hard and I'm still figure this out with my girlfriend). Tell her to lean with you through the turns! It was weird at first for my girlfriend but she got the hang of it. She says its scary/thrilling at first but, shes got used to the feeling of it. On the pegs have her heals up or parallel with the pegs, not pointed down towards the ground, this will help her grip you with her knees more. Also she should be as close to you as possible with out her slipping off her seat, that consist of her getting her chest up against your back. That is really important on the freeway. It also helps with you feeling like you two are more connected, and lets you know how she is reacting to things. I'd suggest sticking to around town till she get used to bracing herself and the two of you get used to the feel of riding together.

It takes a bit more to start and break. To start up from a stop light you have to use first gear. With stopping just be aware that it will take more to stop with her on the back.

Have fun!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will also be more wheely prone, especially up-hill. Focus on slow, smooth
acceleration. Dumping her off the back, won't encourage further adventures,
on her part.

As far as leaning with you, that IS correct procedure. BUT, at first, keep YOUR
leaning to a minimum. Stay more upright and lean the bike. You shouldn't be
doing any peg dragging manuvers with your precious cargo, anyway.

The slow-speed (25mph and less) is the really awkward zone. The bike isn't going fast
enough to be real stable and it is more top-heavy then you will be used to.
For parking lot maneuvers, it's NOT an admission of incompetence, to have her get off
and let you maneuver the bike. Dumping her and yer ***, IS.

Reinforce the rule, "Never put your feet down until I say so".

Good luck and be safe, Ern

Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 AM

Hey everyone thanks for the advice. I might just take it steady the first time out.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Quick question is the rear preload the one which you have to knock up with a special spanner sounds stupid that iv never changed it begore

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes

Ern

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM

Like all the people before always lay out ground rules and go over a system to know what your passenger needs. I have had to tell a girl to get off because she failed to follow the rules of the bike haha

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM

It was fine when we got going think the seat got a bit wet when I did a few overtakes lol

Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM

All good advice so far. Looks like you managed just fine on your first time out. One thing that I would add, is if when has to adjust her seating position (especially with the banana seat, she may slide forward) tell her to do it when you're riding upright, and to push back on the pegs evenly. If she doesn't you'll notice the bike start to wobble back and forth as she put weight on either side. Oh one more thing! She should be wearing full gear.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Ha well said stellarcbr she did it as we were in a bend she rocked the living crap out of the bike ipulled over and said WHAT the F$%^ are you doing.
Bless her she had know idea.

Anyway with that i and she learned a lot over a cup of tea.
Thank you for everyones advice

Quick Reply: Riding two up