CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Rear Brake hanging up....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake hanging up....

Anyone else out there notice a little bit of drag from the rear brake? I just put new pads on all the way around and the fronts feel a lot better, but it seems like the rear is hanging up a bit. I bled the rear because it felt a little spongy, but now it feels like it isn't retracting. Is there some kind of return spring that I missed? I bought the bike pretty beaten on, so nothing is really going to surprise me as far as something missing. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear Brake hanging up....

I just bled my front brakes, and it seemed to rub for about 10-15 minutes of riding.

I think it has something to do with wearing down the pad until it's at the right clearance from the rotor.

Somebody with more knowledge about brakes will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that's what it is.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM

I have ridden it about 100 miles since the pad change.... it may be normal, maybe I should find someone else with an F4 local and just compare... Really it feels like the rear brake is completely ineffective. I know it only offers about 20% of the braking, but I think it should be able to stop the bike in an extended way. Thanks for the help.... by the way, this sportbike stuff is addictive....

Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sure is addictive,

The rear brake is stronger than just 20% of the braking, but I think most people only use it for 20%.

You can stop yourself completely just like the front brakes (at normal speeds) and it's a lot easier to lock up the rear than it is to lock up the front (less weight on the rear tyrecomes into play here though)

At any rate, I dont think your pads should be rubbing all the time, that will cause excessive heat in the braking system (rotors, brake lines, excessive wear on the pads)

I'd have that checked out quickly by a mechanic, or just call one up and ask what would be causing it. Most of the time they wont mind talking to you quickly about it.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you feel the pedal pulsate at all? If so your rotor is warped and needs to be replaced.How thick is the rotor, stock is 4mm min, it's stamped on the rotor. Can you make the rear tire lock up?Did you do a complete flush or just a bleed? Maybe a bit of dirt in the system if it was only a bleed.A good way to tell ifthe pads arenot backing off is to go for a ride without using your back brake. Pull over and feel the temprature of the rear rotor, becarful though, it could be hot enough to give you a serious burn injury.You may have over presurized the system. Are the calliper pins (the ones that connect the calliper to the braket) move side to side freely? Brake dust might sieze them if the rubber boots are torn and the calliper requires the latteral movement in order to opperate properly. The pads should not be touching the rtor at rest position. Just some other things to consider and hope they can at least elliminate some possibilities. BTW: I use my rear brake more than my front, I usually let go of the bars when I'm comming to a light or coasting down a hill and all I use is the rear until the final stop. It stops my bike just fine. Mind you I do have Goodrich SS braided lines and EBC HH pads, but even still,the stockbrake should stop you fairly quick.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM

OK so last night I removed the rear caliper and pads again. I noticed thatthe caliperwas not moving freeley, kind of like old grease that had become thick. So i cleaned up the post and put new lube on it. Seems to be moving much more freely now. I can see it move when applying the brake. I also replaced the brake fluid in the rear to see if there was some crap in the line. Seems to be working better, but still not as tight as I would expect with brand new pads on... may be time to take it to the shop. The pads are releasing, so that is a good thing. Thanks for the help

Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an air buble now that you cleaned up the calliper posts. Keep bleedin' her a bit more. I know when I've flushed my system (I've had to do it twice, once for the SSlines and ther because I changed over to the gold callipers from the rr) and both times I was suprised at how much it took to completely bleed the rears. Did you check your rotor thickness? might be to thin also. jmho. Can you lock the rear tire up when riding (without pushing on the pedal so hard you feel like your about to bend it)? If so, they're probably working ok, it just might not what you expected. Upgrading my brakes to the braided stainless lines and hh pads made a dramatic difference, swapping the callipers was purely for looks.