CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Rear axle spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle spacer question

Bought a used and abused 99 F4 about a year ago. New front brake disks, rebuilt the calipers, and a lot of rattle can to get it back on the street. And I goofed putting new tires on it. About 100 miles into my new rear tire I notice some chatter and a grinding feeling coming from the rear. Apparently, there was a washer/spacer between the right wheel bearing and brake mount that I had missed when putting the rear wheel back on. So, while riding the wheel was moving along the axle and ground up the brake mount.
Name:  8pIaRll.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  707.8 KB

I checked the parts manual for the washer that I had forgot BUT that part seems to be missing.
Name:  76CN92e.png
Views: 438
Size:  208.0 KB

Luckily, I found another F4 in the wild and snapped a picture of it. Instead of a washer(about 54mm outer and 20 mm inner diameter) like mine had there is a spacer(part #5).
Name:  HI9gg8L.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  543.3 KB

I ordered the part and smacked it in place on the right side(sorry I have the tire facing backwards here)
Name:  6jxBYTp.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  556.2 KB

Problem is the wheel is too wide and wont fit between the forks now. I took a mallet to both spacers on either side and they are snug up to the wheel bearings. Only option I have left is that the bike has been wrecked and the tolerance is off.
Name:  MPsGGFB.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  678.2 KB

10 3/16"
I am at a complete and total loss on what to do next. Maybe mill down the #5 spacer I ordered? Or did I reassemble it wrong a second time? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated

Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try reversing the spacers (flip sides). I know if the spacers are reversed on the f3 front axle, the front tire will not turn in the forks. And the 2 spacers are different widths

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Try reversing the spacers (flip sides). I know if the spacers are reversed on the f3 front axle, the front tire will not turn in the forks. And the 2 spacers are different widths
It is on the correct side. The right side spacer is in there REAL snug and I don't have a gear puller to yank it out. I am 99% sure i have them according to the IPB. Here is a better job of MS painting.

Name:  0V5MXnh.png
Views: 353
Size:  409.2 KB

Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 AM

Going to bump this. Can someone please take a tape measure to their swingarm? I'm planning on milling down the spacer ATM but I would love to know if I'm throwing good parts after bad. Thx

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM

I can't find the edit button on my phone but I just realized I'm asking ppl to pull the rear tire off to measure this. Sorry I checked both sides of the swingarm and the welds are good and nothing is bent. The wheel is original so I'm still lost on why the right rear collar(spacer?) is bumping the brake mount. It's snug against the bearing so yeah lol. Getting it milled next week after I borrow a huge set of vernier calipers

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Ill look at mine when I get up and see what it is measuring out to be its no big deal being mine is on stands right now

Name:  1361883707.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  180.9 KB

Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Sweet TY! I am going to to borrow a gear puller and check that the collar that i ordered. It should be OD 1.1815" and width 0.531 if i read the other thread on here correctly (edit the collar is correct) I am back to the possibilities that the swingarm being bent inwards or the guy at the shop put in wheel bearings that were too wide. Anyone have other ideas on what could be going on here?

Last edited by something clever; 03-01-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten the measurement yet, these 6 11 and a half shifts at work are gettin to me

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Ok just got the bike moved and pulled back down (long story) anywho the swing arm on mine is 10 and 3/16 the same as yours now the spacers the one on the left side or the sprocket side is 14.00 mm wide (it's the odd shaped one small on one side big on the other) and the one on the right side or the brake side is 13.53 mm wide.
Sorry that the last to widths are in metric units but I like to use them for small parts as its ezer to get the readings.

Also for kicks and gigs I swaped the spacers to the wrong side and it was bad the brakes scrapped.
As for the tire not going back, mine is a pain to get right but I can get mine, just had an idea I'm going to go put my spacers back in my rim and see what my total width is. Ill do it by takeing some kind of rod and marking it ill post it when I get it and see if that can help, all this together should get you pointed in the right direction

Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by cookml22
Ill do it by takeing some kind of rod and marking it ill post it when I get it and see if that can help
Some kind of rod like the big bolt that holds the rear wheel in ??????

Quick Reply: Rear axle spacer question