CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Ready to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to throw in the towel

Alright guys... My bike just set for exactly a week and it fired right up. I got about a quarter of a mile down the road and it sounded like it was bogging down and then shut off. When i try to start it again it wants to roll over but its just not firing. When feeling the header pipes looking at the bike the 2 on the left are warm and the ones on the right were cold. I didn't have a full tank of gas but enough where it shouldn't of bothered. Just at the beginning of the season we put on a new fuel filter, cleaned the air filter, and rejetted the bike. Taking the carbs completely apart and cleaning them. We did pull one of the plugs at the time and it had a nice golden color.. Any ideas before i pull the whole thing apart again for this season?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Start easy, work hard. Pull the plugs and check for spark. Go from there.

Does your fuel pump kick on? I had almost the same thing happen to me at the track. Bike started bogging really bad and about sixty seconds later it died. Wouldn't start. I had blown the fuel pump fuse. (it was hard wired)

Try jumping your fuel pump and seeing if that does it. (you can do it without taking anything off) Brown and blue wire i believe.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM

I will try the fuel pump tomorrow.. I was so pissed tonight i wasn't even listening for it.. If it isn't that is there such thing as bad gas.. If i remember correctly it was Sheetz gas which i have had problems before with this bike.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM

I would sincerely doubt that it is bad gas, but you never know. I know that I never put ANY thing other than quality gas/diesel in my cars/boats/assorted toys.

BP, SHELL, EXXON....nothing else.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Woot.. Thanks for the replies guys.. It was the ****ty gas.. I took out some gas out of the tank and put it on the concrete. Threw down a match and it didn't ignite. I got the rest out and put in some good stuff with some carb cleaner.. After a few rolls it fired up. Ran it for a bit tonight and it runs like a top again.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Wow - I am surprised. Congrats, glad it was an "easy" problem....

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Where the heck do you buy "bad" gas?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Alright i am a little frustrated.. The gas idea kind of went out the window. The bike sat for 3 days. It started right up and idled fine. I got about 2 miles down the road and it it wouldn't stay started. When this happened i pulled the throttle wide open and you could watch the rpms fall till it died. What can this be? If i run the bike every day it is fine but it it sits for a period of time this happens.

Could it be bad plugs or something with the carbs? Any suggestions would help. I hopefully will be tearing the carbs off this weekend to see if we can find anything.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM

That sounds similiar to my problem I've been fighting for a couple of weeks. I posted in the General Tech forum and someone suggested the pulse generator, but that turned out to be fine. I've been testing my ignition system component by component until I figure it out.
When your bike is dying does it sound like it's not running on all cylinders. That's what mine does, it runs great until it decides it wants to die, then it runs like crap for a minute and dies.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:02 AM

measure your fuel pump output(manual explains). check the fuel filter. then the fuel lines. then the float bowl height(affects idle and low speed prefromance). throttle postion sensor

Quick Reply: Ready to throw in the towel