CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Ran out of fuel. Now it won't start. PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of fuel. Now it won't start. PLEASE HELP.

Hey guys.

Firstly, i feel like an absolute clown. I was about to put petrol in at a petrol station but thought "na, i'll put in at the next". Few km's down the road it sputtered and died.

Filled it up and would't start. Ran the battery flat in the process...

I got it home and tried to jump it with my car. No success.

What I have already done:

1. checked all wires and they are fine.
2. checked that fuel is in the tank.
3. turned the ignition on and off and the fuel pump is priming.
4. turned the ignition on and off 20 odd times to try get fuel into the carb bowls.

5. disconnected the fuel line from the petcock and blew into it.

Bam! it started right up. It would idle but as soon as I gave it any gas it died.

I repeated the process and before i started it i put the pipe back onto the petcock. It fired up first time but wouldn't REV at all.

I let it idle until it cut out. It wouldn't turn over again until i blew into the pipe.

Tried a new thing today,

I got hold of a syringe and forced the fuel into the pipe so it could fill the pipe and carb bowlS. It ran and revved fine! but it still isnt getting fuel fed to it automatically. as soon as the fuel i pushed into the pipe ran out, it cut out...

I am now baffled! Please guys, any help will be much appreciated.

Any help would be great guys.

Last edited by jarrod_williams; 08-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Registered Users

Have a look at the fuel filter. There was probably a bit of crap in your tank and running out of fuel it's made it's way to your fuel filter stopping/restricting new fuel getting through.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 AM

All fixed. Fuel filter was blocked solid, Got a new one. Carbs were disgusting also! stripped and soaked the carbs in some petrol overnight.

Fired up first time on first kick.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I guess this is a testament to proper troubleshooting order? Glad it was an easy and cheap fix!!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM

After two solid years of riding my f4 I found the only real maintanance I had to routinely perform on the fuel system was clean the carbs of coarse (every 10-15k), clean or replace the fuel pump points switch when it needed it. To diagnose a bad or malfunctionong point switch it would act like it was running out of fuel and cut off. I'd pull over and jiggle the pump around or tap with a screw driver then it would start pumping again. Point is, in the future if it acts like its cutting off randomly and cutting back on again, check the point switch on the pump. Also I found that the only after market fuel filter that worked as well or better than oem is the little tubular clear filter with a replaceable screen in it. At any auto store. The little 3 dollar aftermarket paper fter at auto zone will not work, its too restrictive. Keep an eye on these things and the bikes fuel system will be very reliable for years and years to come.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
After two solid years of riding my f4 I found the only real maintanance I had to routinely perform on the fuel system was clean the carbs of coarse (every 10-15k), clean or replace the fuel pump points switch when it needed it. To diagnose a bad or malfunctionong point switch it would act like it was running out of fuel and cut off. I'd pull over and jiggle the pump around or tap with a screw driver then it would start pumping again. Point is, in the future if it acts like its cutting off randomly and cutting back on again, check the point switch on the pump. Also I found that the only after market fuel filter that worked as well or better than oem is the little tubular clear filter with a replaceable screen in it. At any auto store. The little 3 dollar aftermarket paper fter at auto zone will not work, its too restrictive. Keep an eye on these things and the bikes fuel system will be very reliable for years and years to come.

Thats true!! i went and got a cheapie fuel filter from the local spares shop. it was to restrictive. went and got one at the bike shop and it worked fine. the one i got from the car shop wasn't letting enough fuel through fast enough. you could see it...

But thanks for the help. this forum is a life and Wallet saver... heehee